Bicycle Frame Head Tubes

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by boyfatharley, Dec 13, 2003.

1. boyfatharley

boyfatharley New Member

I'm looking for a place that I can buy head tubes. I'm going to build a bicycle and would like to incorporate a head tube and headset that I can find again for later projects. Any places that sell bonafide head tubes ???????

Thanks!!!!!!

CW

Tags:

2. systecsol

systecsol New Member

Try http://www.qbike.com/category/buildkits.html

3. BaCardi

BaCardi New Member

Are you building a frame or a bike?

4. boyfatharley

boyfatharley New Member

Actually, I'm monkeying around with building a "Freestyle" bike. I'm the incessant tinkerer and when I get a project in my mind that lets me play with my toys (tools), I just let her rip. Actually, I'm building a serious "Freestyle" bike.

Thanks!!!!

CW

5. BaCardi

BaCardi New Member

Yeah, but are you building a "Freestyle" bike or a "Freestyle" frame?

6. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Doesn't the frame come first and then you hang the parts on it to make it a bike? He did say he was building a bike,twice. Did not that compute?

7. BaCardi

BaCardi New Member

You are such a troll. I swear. Then, you answer his question.

8. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

9. pudster

pudster New Member

I know of 2 places that sell tubing to people that are not in the bike business. One is Nova cycle and the other is Henry James. They will sell to the hobbiest. I think that that is what they are called. They both have websites and I think they both sell to the public. Nova sells Columbus, Easton Tubing and Tange. Henry James sells True Temper. I would call their Techline not their 800 number. Frame tubes can be pretty expensive. I think that Nova also sells Titanium tubes but I don't think it is American tubing.

10. boyfatharley

boyfatharley New Member

OK now........I didn't mean to start a skirmish. I know head tubes can be just about anything you want them to be. I am fond of the "hour glass" shape. I can get som 4130 CrMo stock so I think I'l chuck up a piece and turn my own.........to fit a chosen headset. Same situation goes for bottom bracket shells.....

Now I want everybody to kiss and make up.........or at least keep tossing good info tidbits out there.

Thanks again!!!!!

CW

11. BaCardi

BaCardi New Member

Don't listen to boredrow, he's just trolling.

Henry James doesn't have integrated head tubes, the kind where the headset is inside the head tube. Nova does carry these. Also a place called Bringheli has them too. These places are in the USA and they carry tubes and fittings for the professional framebuilder. I'm sure you can get what you need here, but don't expect much tutoring. You'll have to purchase your headset somewhere else. Different integrated head tubes fit different companies integrated headsets, so it would be much harder to turn your own headset on a lathe unless you knew beforehand the exact internal dimension of the specific headset you will be using. It may be cheaper in the long run to just buy the a new frame because the cutting tools for internal headsets are VERY expensive.

12. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Where did he say integrated HS? Yeah, I know 'hourglass shape', but that look can be done with a conventional HS....Yeah,I know,just trolling too.

13. BaCardi

BaCardi New Member

No it can't.

14. pudster

pudster New Member

You can make a hourglass head tube without going internal. I would not want an houglass head tube in steal though, it seems like it would be heavy

15. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

See bacardi. Apparently your 14 year old mind has not been able to think this one through very well.

16. BaCardi

BaCardi New Member

If you want that hourglass look, I've only seen it on internal headset-type headtubes. AFAIK, no one has attempted to do what you are doing and use a regular headset. I don't think it would work because the outside diameter of the upper and lower part of the headset may be too large for the cups to sit on squarely. It will be a considerable amount of time and money invested if you want to get your own head tube or cups custom fabricated by a machine shop. But if that's your cup of tea, then go for it.

17. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

He said he was going to turn his own 4130 stock. No big deal if one has the proper equipment.Here is the blue clue on how to do it. Start with oversize outside diameter stock like would be used for a 1 1/8" steerer, or even larger(assumes he is using a 1" steerer), and proper ID to clear the steerer.. Then machine the outside to shape as there is enough meat. Then ream the top and bottom to take 30.2mm 1 " standard cups.Finish up by facing the top and bottom surfaces so they are square.