Bicycle friendly facilities

sinus said:
There has been a lot of talk, though no action yet, from Melbourne city council about bicycle facilities. Probably the same in other state capitals.

Here's an example of what can be done:
http://www.chicagobikestation.com/index.htm

$100 p/a, I'd be up for that. Never mind that I have secure parking at work, there are times where I've taken the car or train 'cause I'm not comfortable leaving my bike locked up in the street.

EuanB said:
$100 p/a, I'd be up for that. Never mind that I have secure parking at work, there are times where I've taken the car or train 'cause I'm not comfortable leaving my bike locked up in the street.

Wait until someone returns from o/s. ;) sshhhhhhh!

Brisbane City Council is well-advanced with its end-of-trip facility
near the city centre. It's going to be part of a new underground bus
terminus. It will be privately managed, with daily fees covering
lockup, locker, shower, towel. Fee will be near a return, three zone
bus ticket ($7?). They developed this after surveys and discussions (I
think this is a little high myself and will put off quite a few users).
The rest is commercial-in-confidence, but you might be able to get more
info by phoning the council on 07 3403 8888 and asking for the Cyclist
and Pedestrian Access Unit coordinator.

Hmmm, other places should be able to use the lessons and plans of BCC
and elsewhere, rather than doing more studies and wasting more time.
Just get on with it!

Donga

"Donga" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> It will be privately managed, with daily fees covering
> lockup, locker, shower, towel.

I wish the TCC developed something like this (Townsville), especially in
summer in North Qld :)

--
Trevor S

-Albert Einstein

sinus wrote:
> There has been a lot of talk, though no action yet, from Melbourne city
> council about bicycle facilities. Probably the same in other state
> capitals.
>
> Here's an example of what can be done:
> http://www.chicagobikestation.com/index.htm

That's pretty snazzy.

I've been trying to get some people I know who ride recreationally to
commute, and we're gradually working through the excuses and finding
solutions, stuff like the above is great and would cross off a few of
their excuses. But, it's not *necessary* to have uberbikeparks to have
more people commuting etc by bike. Sure would be good though and would
probably help the cause.

IMO having facilities at workplaces and shopping centers to securely
park bikes & store clothes etc is something to be worked towards. I'm
loathe to ride to the local stupormarket unless I have (yet another!)
bike to do it - I don't want to leave the good roady out the front
while I go shopping, and most shopping centres are a bit nonplussed
when I wheel the bike through the isles :)

But the big killer is kids not riding to school anymore (but they all
drink sports drinks, high GI ... but not doing the exercise to justify
it .. and lo! obesity .. how amazing!). I rode past a few schools
yesterday at about kick-out-o-clock and hardly a bike to be seen. When
I was a kid (and we had to wear helmets then too, it was a school rule
that predated the road law .. so wipe that one ..) heaps of my friends
rode and the school bikeshed was overflowing with bikes (and it was a
*big* bikeshed). There's an article about kids and schools in the
latest BV rag, so at least they're (BV) aware of it. I reckon banning
kids being dropped off at schools would be a better thing than banning
cars from the CBD! (I'm only half tongue-in-cheek :) ).

Yeerrss. How did the MelbCityCOuncil vote go for amongst 'other transport things' $120K to investigate a 'SuperBikStation' in Melb???

PS BV are launching "Ride2SchoolDay" this year (cant remember date)
Will include temporary bikeshelters to guage need and follow up for funding/2-build, BikeEducation over phased/staged/period, encouraging parents to learn/ride also. It's a start but should grow rapidly as funding seems abundant

back soon. lots o video/toys/goodies

Bleve wrote:

> But the big killer is kids not riding to school anymore (but they all
> drink sports drinks, high GI ... but not doing the exercise to justify
> it .. and lo! obesity .. how amazing!). I rode past a few schools
> yesterday at about kick-out-o-clock and hardly a bike to be seen. When
> I was a kid (and we had to wear helmets then too, it was a school rule
> that predated the road law .. so wipe that one ..) heaps of my friends
> rode and the school bikeshed was overflowing with bikes (and it was a
> *big* bikeshed). There's an article about kids and schools in the
> latest BV rag, so at least they're (BV) aware of it. I reckon banning
> kids being dropped off at schools would be a better thing than banning
> cars from the CBD! (I'm only half tongue-in-cheek :) ).

The local paper had a story about a year ago about kids not riding to
school, and it quoted a headmaster who said schools discourage kids from
riding to school because they consider it unsafe.

It probably *is* unsafe, because of all the parents having to park their
Landcruiser etc at the gate to drop off/pick up their kids.

Kids can't even walk to school by themselves anymore - they need a "walking
bus" where an adult supervises a group of kids walking.

"Bleve" <[email protected]> writes:

> When
> I was a kid (and we had to wear helmets then too, it was a school rule
> that predated the road law .. so wipe that one ..)

You're sure about that one?

Helmets for children, fair enough. Protect the young, they're learning
etc etc. Suddenly everyone has to wear a helmet. Cycling must be
really dangerous! I'm not letting my child cycle, don't need a helmet
to walk so cycling must be really dangerous if you need a helmet!

> I reckon banning kids being dropped off at schools would be a better
> thing than banning cars from the CBD! (I'm only half tongue-in-cheek
> :) ).

Dang, thought you were serious. Sounds like a good plan to me.
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\<,

Bleve wrote:
> sinus wrote:
>
>>There has been a lot of talk, though no action yet, from Melbourne city
>>council about bicycle facilities. Probably the same in other state
>>capitals.
>>
>>Here's an example of what can be done:
>>http://www.chicagobikestation.com/index.htm

> That's pretty snazzy.
>
> I've been trying to get some people I know who ride recreationally to
> commute, and we're gradually working through the excuses and finding
> solutions, stuff like the above is great and would cross off a few of
> their excuses. But, it's not *necessary* to have uberbikeparks to have
> more people commuting etc by bike. Sure would be good though and would
> probably help the cause.
>
> IMO having facilities at workplaces and shopping centers to securely
> park bikes & store clothes etc is something to be worked towards. I'm
> loathe to ride to the local stupormarket unless I have (yet another!)
> bike to do it - I don't want to leave the good roady out the front
> while I go shopping, and most shopping centres are a bit nonplussed
> when I wheel the bike through the isles :)
>
> But the big killer is kids not riding to school anymore (but they all
> drink sports drinks, high GI ... but not doing the exercise to justify
> it .. and lo! obesity .. how amazing!). I rode past a few schools
> yesterday at about kick-out-o-clock and hardly a bike to be seen. When
> I was a kid (and we had to wear helmets then too, it was a school rule
> that predated the road law .. so wipe that one ..) heaps of my friends
> rode and the school bikeshed was overflowing with bikes (and it was a
> *big* bikeshed). There's an article about kids and schools in the
> latest BV rag, so at least they're (BV) aware of it. I reckon banning
> kids being dropped off at schools would be a better thing than banning
> cars from the CBD! (I'm only half tongue-in-cheek :) ).

At the school where I work there are exactly 5 kids who ride. WHich I
think is better than average. Secure parking is the key really.
Either that or really cheap (subsidized) insurance or the death penaltyy
for nicking a bike. :)

Hell I use the motorbike at least half the times that I use it cos I am
going somewhere I think unsafe to leave the pushy

Dave

FD:
>Yeerrss. How did the MelbCityCOuncil vote go for amongst 'other transport things' $120K to investigate a 'SuperBikStation' in Melb???

Jaysus! You could get two officers to Chicago on a junket for $20K. For
$120K, you would want to be at the tender stage!!

Donga

Euan wrote:

> "Bleve" <[email protected]> writes:

<snip, snip, snip>
> > I reckon banning kids being dropped off at schools would be a better
> > thing than banning cars from the CBD! (I'm only half tongue-in-cheek
> > :) ).

> Dang, thought you were serious. Sounds like a good plan to me.

When I was little, Mum or Dad would drop bro and me off near school on
rainy days - at a cul-de-sac that was 2/3 of the way there, so we just
had to walk through a walkway, and cross at the ligths. My parents said
there was no way they were going to go past the front of the school,
"with all that traffic!" My parents were pretty cool.

Euan wrote:
> "Bleve" <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > When
> > I was a kid (and we had to wear helmets then too, it was a school rule
> > that predated the road law .. so wipe that one ..)

> You're sure about that one?

I'm sure I had a stackhat and had to wear it, yes. So did everyone
else at my school who rode.

> Helmets for children, fair enough. Protect the young, they're learning
> etc etc. Suddenly everyone has to wear a helmet. Cycling must be
> really dangerous! I'm not letting my child cycle, don't need a helmet
> to walk so cycling must be really dangerous if you need a helmet!

Get over it. Car occupants have to wear seatbelts, doesn't stop people
driving.

> > I reckon banning kids being dropped off at schools would be a better
> > thing than banning cars from the CBD! (I'm only half tongue-in-cheek
> > :) ).

> Dang, thought you were serious. Sounds like a good plan to me.

It's a great plan! :)

Bleve said:
Euan wrote:
> Helmets for children, fair enough. Protect the young, they're learning
> etc etc. Suddenly everyone has to wear a helmet. Cycling must be
> really dangerous! I'm not letting my child cycle, don't need a helmet
> to walk so cycling must be really dangerous if you need a helmet!

Get over it. Car occupants have to wear seatbelts, doesn't stop people
driving.
Nothing to get over.

Seatbelts and helmets don't have the same emotional impact. Mandate helmet use for cars and I wonder how many would stop driving?

EuanB wrote:
> Bleve Wrote:
> > Euan wrote:
> > > Helmets for children, fair enough. Protect the young, they're

> > learning
> > > etc etc. Suddenly everyone has to wear a helmet. Cycling must be
> > > really dangerous! I'm not letting my child cycle, don't need a

> > helmet
> > > to walk so cycling must be really dangerous if you need a helmet!

> > Get over it. Car occupants have to wear seatbelts, doesn't stop
> > people
> > driving.
> > Nothing to get over.

> Seatbelts and helmets don't have the same emotional impact. Mandate
> helmet use for cars and I wonder how many would stop
> driving?

Heh. I am not getting into a helmet debate with you :)

cfsmtb <[email protected]> writes:

> Wonder how the CoM planning committee meeting vote on the draft
> Transport Strategy went last night? We were too busy at Fed Square
> (microbrewery tastings, yum!)

Yes yes, gloat away. Some of us were on-call. And no, the odd tipple
here and there isn't allowed, danged zero alcohol environment.

<grumble grumble mutter mutter>
--
Cheers (in to his | ~~ __@
Euan 3rd tinnie) | ~~ _-\<,

Donga wrote:
> FD:
>
>>Yeerrss. How did the MelbCityCOuncil vote go for amongst 'other transport things' $120K to investigate a 'SuperBikStation' in Melb???

> Jaysus! You could get two officers to Chicago on a junket for $20K. For
> $120K, you would want to be at the tender stage!!

Add another $20K each for each councillor, at least two, that also feels
that they need to go along.