Bicycle helmet legislation Where?

Wally

Guest
Hello,

I have gone through the group and the web trying to find the compulsory
helmet legislation for Western Australia.
I have found a lot of websites containing opinions and statistics but
no actual legislation.

Please can someone direct me to the actual legislation?

Cheers,
Wally

P.S. I am not interested in anyones opinion on helmets.

In aus.bicycle on 4 Feb 2006 11:49:42 -0800
Wally <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have gone through the group and the web trying to find the compulsory
> helmet legislation for Western Australia.
> I have found a lot of websites containing opinions and statistics but
> no actual legislation.
>
> Please can someone direct me to the actual legislation?

Go to http://www.austlii.edu.au/forms/search1.html and search for
"bicycle helmet" as "all of these words" instead of "boolean search"
and select "western australia - all legislation" from the large pick
box.

You will get, amongst others:

ROAD TRAFFIC CODE 2000 - REG 222
Protective helmets to be worn

222 . Protective helmets to be worn

(1) In this regulation and in regulation 223 —

"protective helmet" means a helmet that is, or is of a standard or
type that is, approved by the Director General, for the purposes of
this regulation, by notice in the Government Gazette .

(2) Except as provided in this regulation, a person shall not ride a
bicycle on a road or any path unless —
(a) that person is wearing a protective helmet securely fastened on
his or her head; and

(b) where any other person is being carried on that bicycle, that
other person is wearing a protective helmet securely fastened on his
or her head.

Modified penalty: 1 PU

(3) Subregulation (2) does not apply to a person who —
(a) is a member of a religious or cultural group and who is wearing a
headdress customarily worn by members of that group, if the wearing of
that headdress makes it impractical for a person to wear a protective
helmet; or

(b) has been exempted in writing by the Director General from wearing
a protective helmet for medical reasons, and is complying with any
terms and conditions of that exemption.

(4) The Director General may at any time, by notice in writing to the
person, amend or revoke an exemption granted under subregulation
(3)(b).

(5) Subregulation (2)(b) does not apply to a person riding a three or
four-wheeled bicycle who is carrying a paying passenger, or any paying
passenger on a three or four-wheeled bicycle.

Wally wrote:

> I have gone through the group and the web trying to find the
> compulsory helmet legislation for Western Australia.
> I have found a lot of websites containing opinions and
> statistics but no actual legislation.
>
> Please can someone direct me to the actual legislation?

I can't help with a link to the enabling legislation, but the
general details of the requirement is contained in the uniform
"Australian Road Rules". See for example

http://tinyurl.com/bcc8s

Part 15 ("Additional rules for bicycle riders"), rule 256
("Bicycle helmets") for details.

There's a good exposition of the application of the rules to WA
at

http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/cycling/1976.asp

but I'm not sure that's what you want.

John

On 2006-02-04, Zebee Johnstone (aka Bruce)
> (5) Subregulation (2)(b) does not apply to a person riding a three or
> four-wheeled bicycle who is carrying a paying passenger, or any paying
> passenger on a three or four-wheeled bicycle.

Oddlical.

So when the rickshaw thingy is being driven back to base, and the
paying passengers have gone, the driver has to put his helmet back on?

--
TimC
I bet the human brain is a kludge.

On 2006-02-04, Zebee Johnstone (aka Bruce)
> (5) Subregulation (2)(b) does not apply to a person riding a three or
> four-wheeled bicycle who is carrying a paying passenger, or any paying
> passenger on a three or four-wheeled bicycle.

Oddlical.

So when the rickshaw thingy is being driven back to base, and the
paying passengers have gone, the driver has to put his helmet back on?

--
TimC
I bet the human brain is a kludge.
-- Marvin Minsky
prezachary

In aus.bicycle on Sun, 05 Feb 2006 04:58:31 GMT
TimC <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 2006-02-04, Zebee Johnstone (aka Bruce)
>> (5) Subregulation (2)(b) does not apply to a person riding a three or
>> four-wheeled bicycle who is carrying a paying passenger, or any paying
>> passenger on a three or four-wheeled bicycle.

> Oddlical.
>
> So when the rickshaw thingy is being driven back to base, and the
> paying passengers have gone, the driver has to put his helmet back on?

REad it again - only the passenger can be helmetless. 2b is the
passenger, 2a is the rider.

So the rider has to wear a lid, the passenger doesn't have to. IF
that doesn't show the utter hypocrisy of the whole deal....

Zebee

On 2006-02-05, Zebee Johnstone (aka Bruce)
> In aus.bicycle on Sun, 05 Feb 2006 04:58:31 GMT
> TimC <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On 2006-02-04, Zebee Johnstone (aka Bruce)
>> was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:
>>> (5) Subregulation (2)(b) does not apply to a person riding a three or
>>> four-wheeled bicycle who is carrying a paying passenger, or any paying
>>> passenger on a three or four-wheeled bicycle.

>> Oddlical.
>>
>> So when the rickshaw thingy is being driven back to base, and the
>> paying passengers have gone, the driver has to put his helmet back on?

> REad it again - only the passenger can be helmetless. 2b is the
> passenger, 2a is the rider.

Ah yes. Brane working now after that sleep.

> So the rider has to wear a lid, the passenger doesn't have to. IF
> that doesn't show the utter hypocrisy of the whole deal....

Now now. Can't get in the way of a good money making excercise. If
you don't like capitalism, we shall brand you a heretic and burn you
at the stake!

--
TimC
The universe was strange after we had beauty and truth replaced

On 2006-02-05, Zebee Johnstone (aka Bruce)
> In aus.bicycle on Sun, 05 Feb 2006 04:58:31 GMT
> TimC <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On 2006-02-04, Zebee Johnstone (aka Bruce)
>> was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:
>>> (5) Subregulation (2)(b) does not apply to a person riding a three or
>>> four-wheeled bicycle who is carrying a paying passenger, or any paying
>>> passenger on a three or four-wheeled bicycle.

>> Oddlical.
>>
>> So when the rickshaw thingy is being driven back to base, and the
>> paying passengers have gone, the driver has to put his helmet back on?

> REad it again - only the passenger can be helmetless. 2b is the
> passenger, 2a is the rider.

Ah yes. Brane working now after that sleep.

> So the rider has to wear a lid, the passenger doesn't have to. IF
> that doesn't show the utter hypocrisy of the whole deal....

Now now. Can't get in the way of a good money making excercise. If
you don't like capitalism, we shall brand you a heretic and burn you
at the stake!

--
TimC
The universe was strange after we had beauty and truth replaced

Many thanks for the legislation, it is exactly what I wanted.

Now I will have to think up a headdress to wear.
I could become a satanist and wear some horns, which would make the
helmet impractical. I'll think of something.

Cheers,
Wally

Wally said:
Many thanks for the legislation, it is exactly what I wanted.

Now I will have to think up a headdress to wear.
I could become a satanist and wear some horns, which would make the
helmet impractical. I'll think of something.

Cheers,
Wally

You could go the coral implants similar to Enigma's. Or vulcan ears. Ok that was silly.

Wally wrote:

> Now I will have to think up a headdress to wear.
> I could become a satanist and wear some horns, which would make the
> helmet impractical.

You'd need some kind of headgear to attach the horns. A helmet perhaps?

Theo

"Zebee Johnstone" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In aus.bicycle on Sun, 05 Feb 2006 04:58:31 GMT
> TimC <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On 2006-02-04, Zebee Johnstone (aka Bruce)
>> was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:
>>> (5) Subregulation (2)(b) does not apply to a person riding a three or
>>> four-wheeled bicycle who is carrying a paying passenger, or any paying
>>> passenger on a three or four-wheeled bicycle.

>> Oddlical.
>>
>> So when the rickshaw thingy is being driven back to base, and the
>> paying passengers have gone, the driver has to put his helmet back on?
>>

> REad it again - only the passenger can be helmetless. 2b is the
> passenger, 2a is the rider.
>
> So the rider has to wear a lid, the passenger doesn't have to. IF
> that doesn't show the utter hypocrisy of the whole deal....
>
> Zebee

"does not apply to a person riding a three or four-wheeled bicycle who is
carrying a paying passenger"

Sounds like the rider to me.

On 2006-02-06, Resound (aka Bruce)
> "Zebee Johnstone" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> So the rider has to wear a lid, the passenger doesn't have to. IF
>> that doesn't show the utter hypocrisy of the whole deal....
>>
>> Zebee

> "does not apply to a person riding a three or four-wheeled bicycle who is
> carrying a paying passenger"
>
> Sounds like the rider to me.

So the rider is not fined if one of his passengers is not wearing a
helmet.

--
TimC
"Any sufficiently complicated C or Fortran program contains an ad hoc

On 2006-02-06, Theo Bekkers (aka Bruce)
> Wally wrote:
>
>> Now I will have to think up a headdress to wear.
>> I could become a satanist and wear some horns, which would make the
>> helmet impractical.

> You'd need some kind of headgear to attach the horns. A helmet perhaps?

To which standard are viking hats built to?

--
TimC

In aus.bicycle on Mon, 6 Feb 2006 13:34:28 +1100
Resound <sacredchao@> wrote:

> "does not apply to a person riding a three or four-wheeled bicycle who is
> carrying a paying passenger"
>
> Sounds like the rider to me.

It is still about 2b which is about the passenger not the rider.

2a is the rider.

Zebee

"TimC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 2006-02-06, Theo Bekkers (aka Bruce)
>> Wally wrote:
>>
>>> Now I will have to think up a headdress to wear.
>>> I could become a satanist and wear some horns, which would make the
>>> helmet impractical.

>> You'd need some kind of headgear to attach the horns. A helmet perhaps?

> To which standard are viking hats built to?

I seem to recall that Viking weren't actually prone to putting horns on
helms. So Viking standard is riveted iron, no horns.

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 11:43:47 +1100, cfsmtb wrote:

> Wally Wrote:
>> Many thanks for the legislation, it is exactly what I wanted.
>>
>> Now I will have to think up a headdress to wear.
>> I could become a satanist and wear some horns, which would make the
>> helmet impractical. I'll think of something.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Wally

> You could go the coral implants similar to Enigma's. Or vulcan ears. Ok
> that was silly.

The thing I find most impracticable is the chinstrap. Perhaps if I could
persuade a surgeon to screw some posts into my skull onto which I can
screw the helmet in place?

Peter

--
No Microsoft involved. Certified virus free --