Bicycle Helmet Research

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by greymatter, Nov 2, 2012.

1. greymatter

greymatter New Member

Hey everyone,

I'm a researcher at a Loughborough University in the UK and i am hoping to get some insight from bike users like yourselves about bicycle helmets. I have a link to a 2min questionnaire that i would be grateful if you could fill out to help inform my direction.

http://bit.ly/TWu1jI

The survey/questionnaire is informal and although some answers may seem obvious it would be really good to get peoples responses.

Thanks in advance

Dr Jonah B

Tags:

2. dabac

dabac Well-Known Member

Some questions were a bit silly, like that of a folding helmet. Sure, if that feature is available I wouldn't turn it down. But I wouldn't go looking for it special.

3. greymatter

greymatter New Member

thanks for filling it in dabac and thanks for the feedback.

4. dabac

dabac Well-Known Member

And also:
    - I regularly, if not always, ride myself, and subsequently my helmet sweaty. I'd happily pay a bit extra for a helmet with easily removable (and washable) straps and padding. Apart from fit, and the helmet not being ridiculously pricey, this is pretty much the first thing I look for.
    - Safety isn't easy to do anything about, pretty much all helmets are tested against, and fulfil the same standard these days. More protection would, unles you're an amazing engineer, mean either more weight or less ventilation - both of which impacts comfort. Looks tricky.
    I've considered going to a full-face helmet, but the social stigma has so far gotten the best of me.

5. coolcamaro12

coolcamaro12 New Member

I would love to have a helmet that is very small (in form factor), and very minimalist. It drives me somewhat crazy how bulky they are, but I would not risk my safety over not wearing a helmet. Also, as another poster pointed out, easily removable straps and pads would be nice. After a year or so they start to get nasty.

6. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

You can wash the helmet to keep it from getting nasty.

7. dabac

dabac Well-Known Member

And of course, there already is http://www.hovding.com/ the air bag technology, automatically deployed inflatable helmet.

8. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

....that comes in at an, uhm, interesting (read: expensive) price point. When I say interesting, I mean it's 2-3 times more interesting than the most expensive traditional bicycle helmets.

9. dabac

dabac Well-Known Member

Treat it as information rather than as a suggestion or a recommendation.
    I can't see getting sweaty around the neck being much better than getting sweaty on the head.
    I'd like to know more about how they engineered the deployment algorithm(s), how they've separated the fall motions from regular riding and handling movement. Seems a bit tricky to pull that off.
    It'd be hilarious if it deployed when tossed into the back of a car, dropped onto a couch, or put in a bag, then dropped on the floor or something like that.

But it does offer impressive coverage(which admittedly isn't the same as protection) in its deployed state.