Bicycle-induced psychotropic effects, or Hey, that crazy dude really is crazy

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by [email protected], Feb 7, 2006.

  1. Fellow Dumbasses,

    Bike racers, as you all know, span the range of mental stability, the
    range, that is, from "a little off" to "batshit crazy." RAAM may not
    be bike racing, but it's got the crazy part down. It's more so than I
    thought. Daniel Coyle (yup, the Armstrong's War author) profiles
    Jure Robic, RAAM sleep-deprivation contest winner, Slovenian
    soldier, a man insensitive to pain, and apparently the biggest nutbar
    on a bicycle, even more so than that sketchy guy on your Sunday ride:

    "That Which Does Not Kill Me Makes Me Stranger"
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/05/sports/playmagazine/05robicpm.html

    I thought our own village idiot Callistus was joking about the
    LED-induced hallucinations of the ultracyclist, but apparently not.
    Andy Coggan will be happy to see that Tim Noakes makes a
    cameo appearance. And the article says (I can't believe this
    will ever happen) that LAANCE has made noises about trying RAAM.

    Pull quote:
    -----
    Robic seems to regard his racetime bouts with mental instability as
    one might regard a beloved but unruly pet: awkward and embarrassing
    at times, but impossible to live without. ''During race, I am
    going crazy, definitely,'' he says, smiling in bemused despair.
    ''I cannot explain why is that, but it is true.''

    The craziness is methodical, however, and Robic and his crew know its
    pattern by heart. Around Day 2 of a typical weeklong race, his speech
    goes staccato. By Day 3, he is belligerent and sometimes paranoid. His
    short-term memory vanishes, and he weeps uncontrollably. The last days
    are marked by hallucinations: bears, wolves and aliens prowl the
    roadside; asphalt cracks rearrange themselves into coded messages.
    Occasionally, Robic leaps from his bike to square off with shadowy
    figures that turn out to be mailboxes. In a 2004 race, he turned to see
    himself pursued by a howling band of black-bearded men on horseback.

    ''Mujahedeen, shooting at me,'' he explains. ''So I ride
    faster.''
    -----

    Tags:

  2. [email protected] wrote:
    > Fellow Dumbasses,
    >
    > Bike racers, as you all know, span the range of mental stability, the
    > range, that is, from "a little off" to "batshit crazy." RAAM may not
    > be bike racing, but it's got the crazy part down. It's more so than I
    > thought. Daniel Coyle (yup, the Armstrong's War author) profiles
    > Jure Robic, RAAM sleep-deprivation contest winner, Slovenian
    > soldier, a man insensitive to pain, and apparently the biggest nutbar
    > on a bicycle, even more so than that sketchy guy on your Sunday ride:
    >
    > "That Which Does Not Kill Me Makes Me Stranger"
    > http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/05/sports/playmagazine/05robicpm.html
    >
    > I thought our own village idiot Callistus was joking about the
    > LED-induced hallucinations of the ultracyclist, but apparently not.
    > Andy Coggan will be happy to see that Tim Noakes makes a
    > cameo appearance. And the article says (I can't believe this
    > will ever happen) that LAANCE has made noises about trying RAAM.
    >
    > Pull quote:
    > -----
    > Robic seems to regard his racetime bouts with mental instability as
    > one might regard a beloved but unruly pet: awkward and embarrassing
    > at times, but impossible to live without. ''During race, I am
    > going crazy, definitely,'' he says, smiling in bemused despair.
    > ''I cannot explain why is that, but it is true.''
    >
    > The craziness is methodical, however, and Robic and his crew know its
    > pattern by heart. Around Day 2 of a typical weeklong race, his speech
    > goes staccato. By Day 3, he is belligerent and sometimes paranoid. His
    > short-term memory vanishes, and he weeps uncontrollably. The last days
    > are marked by hallucinations: bears, wolves and aliens prowl the
    > roadside; asphalt cracks rearrange themselves into coded messages.
    > Occasionally, Robic leaps from his bike to square off with shadowy
    > figures that turn out to be mailboxes. In a 2004 race, he turned to see
    > himself pursued by a howling band of black-bearded men on horseback.
    >
    > ''Mujahedeen, shooting at me,'' he explains. ''So I ride
    > faster.''

    Get that man on the Bush cabinet now!!

    Steve

    > -----

  3. Donald Munro

    Donald Munro Guest

    Steven Bornfeld wrote:
    > Get that man on the Bush cabinet now!!

    Rumsfeld is resigning ?

  4. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Fellow Dumbasses,
    >
    > Bike racers, as you all know, span the range of mental stability, the
    > range, that is, from "a little off" to "batshit crazy." RAAM may not
    > be bike racing, but it's got the crazy part down. It's more so than I
    > thought. Daniel Coyle (yup, the Armstrong's War author) profiles
    > Jure Robic, RAAM sleep-deprivation contest winner, Slovenian
    > soldier, a man insensitive to pain, and apparently the biggest nutbar
    > on a bicycle, even more so than that sketchy guy on your Sunday ride:
    >
    > "That Which Does Not Kill Me Makes Me Stranger"
    > http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/05/sports/playmagazine/05robicpm.html
    >
    > I thought our own village idiot Callistus was joking about the
    > LED-induced hallucinations of the ultracyclist, but apparently not.
    > Andy Coggan will be happy to see that Tim Noakes makes a
    > cameo appearance. And the article says (I can't believe this
    > will ever happen) that LAANCE has made noises about trying RAAM.

    Did Uni-Baller break the Hour?

  5. Bill C

    Bill C Guest

    Steven Bornfeld wrote:
    > [email protected] wrote:
    > > Fellow Dumbasses,
    > >
    > > Bike racers, as you all know, span the range of mental stability, the
    > > range, that is, from "a little off" to "batshit crazy." RAAM may not
    > > be bike racing, but it's got the crazy part down. It's more so than I
    > > thought. Daniel Coyle (yup, the Armstrong's War author) profiles
    > > Jure Robic, RAAM sleep-deprivation contest winner, Slovenian
    > > soldier, a man insensitive to pain, and apparently the biggest nutbar
    > > on a bicycle, even more so than that sketchy guy on your Sunday ride:
    > >
    > > "That Which Does Not Kill Me Makes Me Stranger"
    > > http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/05/sports/playmagazine/05robicpm.html
    > >
    > > I thought our own village idiot Callistus was joking about the
    > > LED-induced hallucinations of the ultracyclist, but apparently not.
    > > Andy Coggan will be happy to see that Tim Noakes makes a
    > > cameo appearance. And the article says (I can't believe this
    > > will ever happen) that LAANCE has made noises about trying RAAM.
    > >
    > > Pull quote:
    > > -----
    > > Robic seems to regard his racetime bouts with mental instability as
    > > one might regard a beloved but unruly pet: awkward and embarrassing
    > > at times, but impossible to live without. ''During race, I am
    > > going crazy, definitely,'' he says, smiling in bemused despair.
    > > ''I cannot explain why is that, but it is true.''
    > >
    > > The craziness is methodical, however, and Robic and his crew know its
    > > pattern by heart. Around Day 2 of a typical weeklong race, his speech
    > > goes staccato. By Day 3, he is belligerent and sometimes paranoid. His
    > > short-term memory vanishes, and he weeps uncontrollably. The last days
    > > are marked by hallucinations: bears, wolves and aliens prowl the
    > > roadside; asphalt cracks rearrange themselves into coded messages.
    > > Occasionally, Robic leaps from his bike to square off with shadowy
    > > figures that turn out to be mailboxes. In a 2004 race, he turned to see
    > > himself pursued by a howling band of black-bearded men on horseback.
    > >
    > > ''Mujahedeen, shooting at me,'' he explains. ''So I ride
    > > faster.''

    > Get that man on the Bush cabinet now!!
    >
    > Steve
    >
    > > -----

    He's at least as rational as our Secretary of Defense so maybe a spot
    with Homeland Security? or at one of the Intel Oversight committees. He
    could honestly claim to not have seen or remembered stripping anything
    the administration didn't like from the packets passed to them before
    passing them to Congress and others.
    Bill C

  6. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    He's Slovenian and you imply that he hasn't good reasons to fear Muslim
    extremists? You really DO need to take a walking trip through the
    former Yugoslavia.

  7. Bill C

    Bill C Guest

    Tom Kunich wrote:
    > He's Slovenian and you imply that he hasn't good reasons to fear Muslim
    > extremists? You really DO need to take a walking trip through the
    > former Yugoslavia.

    And how do you explain the rest of the delusions, from either one?
    Bill C

  8. Tom Kunich wrote:

    > He's Slovenian and you imply that he hasn't good reasons to fear Muslim
    > extremists? You really DO need to take a walking trip through the
    > former Yugoslavia.

    You're right, Tom. Perfectly rational behavior, considering the
    circumstances.

    Steve

    --
    Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS