Bicycle Lockers and other safety devices.. Whats your opinion???

Discussion in 'Commuting and Road Safety' started by lockerlover, Jun 19, 2007.

1. lockerlover

lockerlover New Member

Hi there,

I'm new to the forums and new to cycling in general. I want to be totally honest right now. I work for Hannan Specialties, Inc. We sell site furnishings (bike racks, benches, trash receptacles, etc.) and we provide our own line of bicycle lockers. Which leads me to my next point and questions..

We provide the Metal Dura Locker bicycle locker.. if you don't know what it is or what a bicycle locker is I invite you to visit the new Dura Locker website at: http://www.duralocker.com

We would like to get some feedback and input from our users, because ultimately your feedback and opinion is what sells our product. Basicly we would like to know if there is anything you would change, or would like to see with the dura locker, or bicycle lockers in general.

We have also collaborated with a new company who provides a safety system that addresses a major concern for dangerous crossings in which pedestrians/bicyclists must cross the path of problematic intersections. The system recognizes an approaching bicyclist/pedestrian and warns drivers to adjust their speed accordingly. The system can be seen at http://www.crossalert.com

If I could ask the favor of your time and opinions on these two things I would greatly appreciate it. So feel free to post here or private message me for any more information.

Thank you

-Todd

Tags:

2. RRSODL

RRSODL New Member

The lockers are a good idea, provided they can keep your bike secured from thieves. I think the biggest threat to cyclist leaving their bikes on the road, is bicycle theft, specially in big cities, train stations, colleges, etc. If the door lock can be openned by thiefts then there is no much point for these lockers.

3. lockerlover

lockerlover New Member

Thank you for your response, and in regards to your concern we have been manufacturing the metal dura locker for over a decade and to this day we have never received a phone call regarding a theft from any of our lockers. We've gotten calls about people locking their bicycles in but never of any theft :)

Now in regards to safety:
    All the fasteners are internal, only 2 of the components (other than the handle) are actually external and those are the 2 carriage bolts on the outside of the doors and they are mushroom heads and tamper resistant. Their is a tight fit (about 1/4" or smaller) in between the door and locking corner to prevent the use of prying tools and the full length locking bar can stand up to ALOT of pressure if someone were able to pry it from that side.

We stand behind our lockers, but we do know that if a theif is determined enough they can break into a vault.

I appreciate peoples concerns like this. Please don't hesitate to post with your concerns or experiences with the Dura Locker or other lockers.. Or any thoughts on the crossalert safety system.

Thanks
    -TODD

4. lockerlover

lockerlover New Member

I'm wondering since this is the commuting section, how many people have used a bicycle locker at their workplace? Or if there are any special arrangements for the cyclists? Or if you would like to rant about how un-cycle friendly your workplace is feel free :)

5. NickInNC

NickInNC New Member

I think the lockers look too big bulky and well a kryptonit lock will do the job. I just don't "get it". I guess to me it looks like you are force fitting a need upon the end user. I commute every day I lock my bike on the rack I have a backpack with my clothing for the day and a clean set cycling clothes to ride home in. I put my backpack and my helmet under my desk. Umm that seems to work.

It looks to me as if you are putting my bike in a bomb shelter or a safe room. none of which my bike needs! thanks but no thanks

6. lockerlover

lockerlover New Member

Nick,
    Thank you for your reply and in response to your concerns we would like to let you know that we are not trying to "force" anything on our end users. We are always seeking valuable input from the people who actually use them or other bike lockers, which is the point of this thread. I am glad that you live in an area where a kryptonite lock on a bike rack is all the assurance you need, however many cyclists we talk to would rather have their bikes under armed gaurd :)
    Out on the Westcoast and in California especially, many new buildings, and workplaces in general require employers to provide safe and covered parking for bicyclists. Im glad you would compare our lockers to a bomb shelter or safe room, that means the security shows!

I'm greatful that you may not need the security of a bicycle locker, but if you change your mind I hope one is readily available to you.

Thank you for your input.

7. NickInNC

NickInNC New Member

My Bomb shelter Loving Friend,

I understand some of the security concerns that many cyclist have. I understand that it is a big issue in larger cities. And yes I feel fine with my cheap $40 lock.

But I am a design major as well as my wife and well the way I see it your company has made a large ugly box that could be compared to utliltie shed next to a trailor park. Design and Function go hand in hand. The pie shaped idea well its ok but the you have a large circular hunk of metal instead of a large rectangle. Work on the design and I'll be a fan...perhaps.

Good Luck

PS the communist won;t drop the big on so please stop making those bomb shelters.

8. xxamr_corpxx

xxamr_corpxx New Member

We've installed around 8 of them at the bus station I manage, but they aren't getting used. We charge $2 deposit (which is refunded when the keys are returned) which is quite a fair charge I think. Most people still lock up around lamps, etc. Plenty of space inside for cycling pants, helmet, lights, etc.

9. neckdowner

neckdowner New Member

Pardon the flame, NICK, but you sound like a design snob. This looks like a nice solution to vandalism. They should have these at schools. My son had his tires flattened twice before he gave up riding to school. I'm trying to encourage him to ride as often as possible but because someone was jealous, bored, whatever.
    AND, you made your point in your first post, so sit back and enjoy someone elses... like my own. ;)

10. lockerlover

lockerlover New Member

Wow, thank you all for your input! And lets keep it nice in here, were all adults and I don't want this to turn into a flame fest :rolleyes:

AMR-
    It's a shame that people aren't using the great service youre providing, do they not realize that their deposit is refundable? I think a two dollar deposit is quite fair, in fact ive heard of instances where people charge about a dollar an hour to rent the lockers, so I'd say you are more than fair! Maybe just remind the people parking incorrectly that their deposit comes back when the key is returned.. Good luck

NECK-
    I am very sorry to hear about what happened to your son, keep fighting the good fight! And if youd like, you can always have your son's school get in contact with us and we'd be happy to try and work something out with them, and if they are worried about students using the lockers for storing other things we do have a perforated option so they can see into the lockers (which isn't uncommon). PM me if you would like any more information :)

thank you all for your input.. Lets keep it up :)

11. slcbob1

slcbob1 New Member

Washington DC area Metro has some similar design at their Metro stations. In addition to regular bike racks, etc.

They seem a great deal if you can get one. Main issue is space. I believe there is a wait list at most locations.

I don't use one as I commute all the way on bike. I would use one from time to time if I could on a drop in basis, but you can't -- only choice is to sign up for the locker full time. The option of storing my bike securely in its little cocoon with all its accessories and parts safe is attractive. But I still think space is the long pole in the tent.

The DC ones seems to be some kind of plastic, and I can't figure out why you'd make yours out of metal. I'd assume prone to dent and scratch.

12. lockerlover

lockerlover New Member

slcbob1:

Well I can't speak for washington DC but out here in California most lockers have the padlock option to where locker use is based on a first come first serve basis.

And we actually used to have a roto molded HDPE duralocker, and a fiberglass locker. We stopped selling them because we found that these lockers had many unforseen problems. We found that within a short period of time that these lockers would warp and discolor (among other things) and we didn't want to have our name on anything that wasn't of the highest quality.

Thank you for your reply!

13. azul_fahrrad

azul_fahrrad New Member

I saw one of these lockers in "The Bicyclist" on the web.

I like the lockers and the alert system, I think they're great ideas. The lockers are ugly but most cities are ugly at ground level any way. On the other hand it would only be a few days before they were covered in grafitti and poster adds so they would blend right in.

The advantage that the lockers have over my lock is that they protect my bike from vandalism, theft, bird dropings and just about everything else.

As in "The Bicyclist" it also provides a safe place for the homeless to sleep overnight. It could help to ease the burden on the shelters...

I would love to see my city invest in some of these around town, the bus stations and train stations.

14. lockerlover

lockerlover New Member

Thank you for your response Azul! What city are you from? Maybe we can direct our sales guy in that direction :)

We appreciate your feedback, we introduced the Dura Locker as a means of protecting bicycles, however they are sometimes used in different manners ie: homeless shelter. Actually the homeless are the reason why bay area rapid transit will not allow plastic or fiberglass lockers, because as we know lockers like that WILL burn.