bicycle meditation ride through Cascade Bicycle Club

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Claire Petersky, Sep 5, 2003.

  1. Tags:

  2. Claire Petersky wrote:

    >Please join me on this ride:
    >
    >http://www.cascade.org/EandR/Activities_Calendar_RDetail.cfm?eventID=1544
    >
    >Warm Regards,
    >
    >Claire Petersky ([email protected]) Home of the meditative cyclist:
    >http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm

    Hi Claire. Is this a typo? (from the site - Ride Detail):

    "Distance: +/- 10 mi."

    Sounds like a *very* ethereal ride.

    Ø¡Ø

    --
    *****************************
    Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO http://www.CycleTourist.com Integrity is obvious. The lack of it

  3. Misnomer

    Misnomer Guest

  4. Kevan Smith

    Kevan Smith Guest

  5. Bgaudet0801

    Bgaudet0801 Guest

  6. In rec.bicycles.misc Luigi de Guzman <[email protected]> wrote:

    : by the way, I'm curious--If I'm supposed to be concentrating on the breathing, how do I prevent
    : from crashing into the guy in front?

    Hmm the normal way perhaps? :) Also don't hug the wheel too closely.

    Yup I'd definitely join if I lived anywhere near Redmond. Too little have I devoted time to cycling
    meditation... maybes I'll some day go on a nice night ride, when I get new lights going...

    Is meditation different on a recumbent? I'd think a trike can give a different feeling to a ride,
    you can go very slowly or just stop and sit there. At least for sunbathing it would be great!

  7. Blech

    Blech Guest

    "bgaudet0801" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Kevan Smith" <[email protected]/\/\> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > On 5 Sep 2003 08:11:48 -0700, [email protected] (Claire Petersky) from
    > > http://groups.google.com/ wrote:
    > >
    > > >Please join me on this ride:
    > > >
    > > >http://www.cascade.org/EandR/Activities_Calendar_RDetail.cfm?eventID=1544
    > >
    > > I'll conduct a simultaneous ride here to send good vibes.
    >
    > Do the Buddhist thing. Call Richard Gere and everyone can ride and project positive vibes.

    Do you have to bring your own gerbil?

  8. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Claire
    Petersky) wrote:

    > Please join me on this ride:
    >
    > http://www.cascade.org/EandR/Activities_Calendar_RDetail.cfm?eventID=1544

    *packs his bike and moves to Redmond*

    Alas, that's not realistic. Congratulations on doing this IRL!!! That's so awesome! I'm interested,
    but if we can somehow do it in Chicago. I would imagine a fair number of people would be interested.
    Are you planning to roll out, maybe a "training program" so others can participate? Maybe something
    to think about as you develop this first ride.

    Cheers and good luck!

  9. Bgaudet0801

    Bgaudet0801 Guest

    "blech" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "bgaudet0801" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "Kevan Smith" <[email protected]/\/\> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > On 5 Sep 2003 08:11:48 -0700, [email protected] (Claire Petersky)
    from

    >http://www.cascade.org/EandR/Activities_Calendar_RDetail.cfm?eventID=1544
    > > >
    > > > I'll conduct a simultaneous ride here to send good vibes.
    > >
    > > Do the Buddhist thing. Call Richard Gere and everyone can ride and
    project
    > > positive vibes.
    >
    > Do you have to bring your own gerbil?

    Gerbils are stricly optional.

    --
    'Sell your sin Just cash in' -Jewell

  10. "Donny Harder Jr." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I would imagine a fair number of people would be interested.

    We'll see. I have no sense of it. Cascade was at least willing to put it up on their daily rides
    sheet, but I haven't heard anyone say they're coming.

    > Are you planning to roll out, maybe a "training program" so others can participate? Maybe
    > something to think about as you develop this first ride.

    If I have sufficient interest, I'd do this as a monthly ride. I'm already beginning to regret the
    location, although the trail has the advantage of being easy to ride and everyone knows it.

    Here's the plan:

    Get a sense of people's bicycling and meditation experience. Do some coordinated
    stretching/breathing exercises, maybe as structured as sun salutations, maybe not. Talk about
    intentions and how to set them. Introduce the idea of using pedalling or breathing as a focus for
    the mind. Ride a little. Get everyone's feedback, and ride a little more.

    If people have this down, then the next step is to talk a little about the music in your brain when
    you ride. We'd then do a little very basic chanting. I realize using your voice in this culture is
    scary as all hell, so I'll have to do some to establish trust among the group and also do this
    sufficiently off of the trail such that people are willing to do it with sufficient kavanah. After
    that, we all get on our bikes and ride a little. Get feedback, answer questions, ride a little more.

    Final segment, if we have time, talk about making blessings, only on the very basic level. Ride a
    little, talk a little about the experience, answer questions, and get on the bike, and ride a
    little more.

    Anyone who is speedy can do breathing/stretching/meditation work while waiting for the others to
    catch up to each rendezvous point.

    We may not get through all of this -- I'm not planning to spend more than two hours on it. If all we
    do is part one, and the other sections happen another day, that's fine with me.

    The next question is -- hot lunch afterwards where? It's pouring rain right now, so the idea of Pho
    sounds appealing.

    Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at: http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky

  11. In rec.bicycles.misc Claire Petersky <[email protected]> wrote:
    : "Donny Harder Jr." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    : news:<[email protected]>...
    :> I would imagine a fair number of people would be interested.

    : We'll see. I have no sense of it. Cascade was at least willing to put it up on their daily rides
    : sheet, but I haven't heard anyone say they're coming.

    Maybe it could be a limited interest, people doing meditation and people doing cycling both are
    small minorities. You'd need to come from at least one of the angles and explain what's the point
    (or the benefit) of combining them both. Are you trying to draw cyclists to meditation or meditating
    people to cycling?

    Cycling is a sort of moving meditation. Maybe it would fit people who can't just sit. Then again
    your movement is somewhat restricted on a bike, and cycling is more directed towards exploring the
    environment than towards self-expression.

    How does meditation fit into cycling? Can it be a form of training? (Interesting question as I
    haven't actively meditated for years but I have a strong training programme for cycling.) I've seen
    some discussion of breathing technique or keeping mental focus, but that's about all... it seems
    these arts never got advanced so far here as in the orient.

    Maybes I should study your site more carefully :)

    Cascade is probably a better marketing channel for reaching cyclists...