Bicycle on Amtrak?

> I'm sure cross-country rail could work; it works nicely in most of the
> world. But Amtrak is broken. A broken, artificially supported rail
> system is worse than no rail system, because it prevents a good one
> from taking its place.

Aren't most (if not all) large-scale passenger rail services subsidized?
Perhaps less subsidy (as a percentage of ticket price) than Amtrak, but
nevertheless subsidized. Even before Amtrak it can be argued that passenger
service was subsidized, since the rail lines claimed to have been losing
large amounts of money on it, yet were forced to continue service.

Don't get me wrong; subsidies for transit often make a lot of sense. And
it's not as if the airlines and auto industry aren't heavily subsidized
themselves! If someone believes that gas taxes and airport fees cover all
the expenses, they're quite mistaken.

[In the end, the major difference between Amtrak and the French rail system
is that, assuming they're not on strike, the French rail system is more
reliable, in terms of sticking to its timetable, than anything I've come
across. You can set your watch by their trains. You can depend upon making
your connections. Amtrak?]

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

news:[email protected]...

On Sep 11, 7:23 am, "Papa Tom" <[email protected]> wrote:
> All expletive hurling and insult tossing aside, it would sure be awesome if
> Amtrak offered better service for cyclists.

Just to **** in tbe popcorn of all of the midwestern windbags in this
thread, I'm going to take my bike on Amtrak to Santa Barbara this
weekend and ride it back to Anaheim. Kiss my ass.

JD

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 18:24:29 -0700, JD <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sep 11, 7:23 am, "Papa Tom" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> All expletive hurling and insult tossing aside, it would sure be awesome if
>> Amtrak offered better service for cyclists.

>Just to **** in tbe popcorn of all of the midwestern windbags in this
>thread, I'm going to take my bike on Amtrak to Santa Barbara this
>weekend and ride it back to Anaheim. Kiss my ass.
>
>JD

Dear JD,

It looks like $25 to get from Santa Barbara mile 119 to Anaheim mile
253 by Amtrak:

http://tickets.amtrak.com/itd/amtra...ren=0&_infants=0&_searchBy=schedule&x=20&y=15

http://www.amtrak.com/timetable/apr07/W31.pdf

At around four hours, it sounds like an average train speed of around
35 mph, so take a good book or two.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Earthquake?

Never know..

Could happen.

I'd be careful if I was you.

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 14:06:20 -0700, David Kerber <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net>
wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
>> Sir Thomas of Cannondale wrote:
>> >
>> > Amtrak sucks.. are ya hearing US.. it sucks.
>> >
>> > The Congress almost put the thing out of business a year or two ago.
>> > Hopefully, soon the piece of **** called Amtrak will be
>> > dead.

>> I think Congress keeps Amtrak on life support as a favor to the
>> airlines. With Amtrak gone, the market would open up for a business
>> that actually worked well and met public expectations for cross-
>> country travel (which would be another huge nail in the coffin of most
>> airlines). Many folks would opt out of what air travel has become, if
>> only there were an alternative faster than driving or taking the
>> bus.

> Like the train? It's significantly better than a bus.

Thanks for bring back the memory; Greyhound from Grants Pass, OR to the
San Fernado Valley in Los Angeles and I got sick as dog half way through.
I'll hitch hike or even car jack someone before I ever step foot on
another bus like that again!
--
Slack

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 17:27:37 -0700, Mike Jacoubowsky
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> I'm sure cross-country rail could work; it works nicely in most of the
>> world. But Amtrak is broken. A broken, artificially supported rail
>> system is worse than no rail system, because it prevents a good one
>> from taking its place.

> Aren't most (if not all) large-scale passenger rail services subsidized?
> Perhaps less subsidy (as a percentage of ticket price) than Amtrak, but
> nevertheless subsidized. Even before Amtrak it can be argued that
> passenger
> service was subsidized, since the rail lines claimed to have been losing
> large amounts of money on it, yet were forced to continue service.
>
> Don't get me wrong; subsidies for transit often make a lot of sense. And
> it's not as if the airlines and auto industry aren't heavily subsidized
> themselves! If someone believes that gas taxes and airport fees cover all
> the expenses, they're quite mistaken.
>
> [In the end, the major difference between Amtrak and the French rail
> system
> is that, assuming they're not on strike, the French rail system is more
> reliable, in terms of sticking to its timetable, than anything I've come
> across. You can set your watch by their trains. You can depend upon
> making
> your connections. Amtrak?]
>
> --Mike Jacoubowsky
> Chain Reaction Bicycles
> www.ChainReaction.com
> Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA
>

> "Chalo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> David Kerber wrote:
>>>
>>> [email protected] says...

>>> most
>>> if
>>>
>>> Like the train? It's significantly better than a bus.

>> That's what I meant. A functioning rail system would be preferable to
>> driving or riding the bus.
>>
>> The bus goes to basically anywhere and leaves every day, sometimes
>> several times a day. Amtrak omits huge chunks of the country, leaves
>> my city something like twice a week, and costs more than flying coach
>> class and taking Greyhound combined. And it's slower than the bus for
>> the trips I've checked. The train probably works okay for shortish
>> trips in the northeastern USA, but for most of the country it's a
>> waste of time and money.
>>
>> I'm sure cross-country rail could work; it works nicely in most of the
>> world. But Amtrak is broken. A broken, artificially supported rail
>> system is worse than no rail system, because it prevents a good one
>> from taking its place. I believe that Amtrak has been carefully and
>> intentionally handicapped so that people will not want to use it.
>>
>> Chalo

Some good Amtrak history here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amtrak FYI,
there will never be a well run private company railroad system in the US
again for the same reason that you'll never see Ford resurrect the Model T
for production.

The company I work does business with several railways, US and overseas.
I don't know of one that isn't government run. China rail is one of our
bigger rail customers.
--
Slack

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 18:24:29 -0700, JD <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sep 11, 7:23 am, "Papa Tom" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> All expletive hurling and insult tossing aside, it would sure be
>> awesome if
>> Amtrak offered better service for cyclists.

> Just to **** in tbe popcorn of all of the midwestern windbags in this
> thread, I'm going to take my bike on Amtrak to Santa Barbara this
> weekend and ride it back to Anaheim. Kiss my ass.
>
> JD

hahahahaha

--
Slack

"?Slack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 18:24:29 -0700, JD <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Sep 11, 7:23 am, "Papa Tom" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> All expletive hurling and insult tossing aside, it would sure be
>>> awesome if
>>> Amtrak offered better service for cyclists.

>> Just to **** in tbe popcorn of all of the midwestern windbags in this
>> thread, I'm going to take my bike on Amtrak to Santa Barbara this
>> weekend and ride it back to Anaheim. Kiss my ass.
>>
>> JD
>>

> hahahahaha
>
> --
> Slack

As long as it doesn't qualify me as a "midwestern windbag", I was going to
wish JD an enjoyable ride. It's been awhile, but I can't imagine the section
from Hermosa Beach (or even Santa Monica) to Anaheim would be particularly
inspiring.

Carl Sundquist wrote:

> "?Slack" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>>> Just to **** in tbe popcorn of all of the midwestern windbags in this
>>> thread, I'm going to take my bike on Amtrak to Santa Barbara this
>>> weekend and ride it back to Anaheim. Kiss my ass.
>>>
>>> JD
>>>

>> hahahahaha
>>
>> --
>> Slack

> As long as it doesn't qualify me as a "midwestern windbag", I was going
> to wish JD an enjoyable ride. It's been awhile, but I can't imagine the
> section from Hermosa Beach (or even Santa Monica) to Anaheim would be
> particularly inspiring.

Some of us enjoy urban grit as long as the ratio of dumbass drivers is
low.

Greg

--
Ticketmaster and Ticketweb suck, but everyone knows that:
http://www.ticketmastersucks.org

Dethink to survive - Mclusky

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

> Chalo wrote:
> >
> > I'm sure cross-country rail could work; it works nicely in most of the
> > world. But Amtrak is broken. A broken, artificially supported rail
> > system is worse than no rail system, because it prevents a good one
> > from taking its place.

> Aren't most (if not all) large-scale passenger rail services subsidized?
> Perhaps less subsidy (as a percentage of ticket price) than Amtrak, but
> nevertheless subsidized. Even before Amtrak it can be argued that passenger
> service was subsidized, since the rail lines claimed to have been losing
> large amounts of money on it, yet were forced to continue service.

What you say is correct, and it's true that all major modes of
transportation other than foot take advantage of some amount of public
subsidy.

My problem with Amtrak is not that it's subsidized, but rather that
despite being subsidized it still doesn't work. There are lots of
crappy and suboptimal things about long distance highway and air
travel, no doubt. But those modes are much better than Amtrak at
getting you where you need to go in a reasonable amount of time, for a
reasonable price, and with a reasonable frequency of service.

Chalo

In article <2wcFi.441$eh3.95@trndny07>, [email protected] says...
> no matter what anyone writes, you will tell us Amtrak is the best thing
> since sliced bread.
>
> Amtrak sucks.. are ya hearing US.. it sucks.
>
> The Congress almost put the thing out of business a year or two ago.
> Hopefully, soon the piece of **** called Amtrak will be
> dead.

Who said it doesn't suck? It doesn't make Amtrak suck any more if compared
with a better system that is in a different demographic and geographic
situation.

Per JD:
>Just to **** in tbe popcorn of...

I like it.
--
PeteCresswell

On Sep 11, 8:57 pm, "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "?Slack" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >> Just to **** in tbe popcorn of all of the midwestern windbags in this
> >> thread, I'm going to take my bike on Amtrak to Santa Barbara this
> >> weekend and ride it back to Anaheim. Kiss my ass.

> >> JD

> > hahahahaha

> > --
> > Slack

> As long as it doesn't qualify me as a "midwestern windbag", I was going to
> wish JD an enjoyable ride. It's been awhile, but I can't imagine the section
> from Hermosa Beach (or even Santa Monica) to Anaheim would be particularly
> inspiring.

You've obviously never ridden it at night. There's a lot to see from
a bicycle saddle in that mess at night. As far as the long ride up
goes, I'll be sleeping.

JD

> There are several options for carrying a bike onto Amtrak. However,
> just like some European countries, France in particular, not every
> train, such as some express/local trains and TGV (bike has to be
> packed in a housse) will carry bikes as a RORO or in a box. At least
> if you use the Amtrak baggage car, you can get your bike when you
> arrive rather than days later as in France.

When has there been Checked bagage on acela?

Amtrak also usually charges a $5 fee when checking a bike into baggage.
Expect extortion as well.

--
---
William O'Hara

> So, if those fools decide to head somewhere for the weekend, they
> can't hop a train instead of jumping in their car? Two of the best
> long distance rides I have done on the road bike this tear were to a
> destination and then return on the train. Excuses are like assholes,
> everyone has one and the midwest houses some rather large ones.

Are you going to get on the train at 3:30 AM in Cleveland to ride around in
Indiana?

--
---
William O'Hara
www.N1ey.com - Amateur Radio and Railfan Blog
www.yahoogroups.com/group/illinoiscentral - premier discussion list re:
ICRR

[email protected] wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> On Sep 8, 7:15 pm, "Sir Thomas of Cannondale" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> West Coast ...
>>
>> On the West Coast the world is different.
>>
>> But ,, remember.. Someone in Ohio, or Penn or Iowa who never would
>> ever use a train is paying for that F'n Amtrak ride ..

> That's a load of ****. In the first place, contrary to widespread
> ignorant belief, _generally_ speaking it is the coasts' federal tax
> dollars that subsidize the middle. Second, "Penn" benefits from trains
> a lot. It is in the NW Corridor.Third, the NW corridor from DC to
> Boston is the closest thing there is in the US to self funding
> passenger rail (outside of maybe the autotrain from VA to FL).
> Finally, most US citizens do not want their train service eliminated
> (although you could probably talk them into eliminating someone
> else's), and I'm guessing that probably includes even Iowa, whose
> train service is more costly to subsidize than the NW Corridor.

Acela just barely manages to make a profit on operating costs. This
doesn't even include capital contribution.

Actually, the train service in Iowa is a lot cheaper. The LD system is
bare bones right now and the support costs such as car repair in IN or
Engine repair in LA has been spread to many different LD trains.

The New Haven went bankrupct every day of the week so I don't know how
you think that the Acela is a hot deal. It is the same place and little
in the grand scheme has changed.

Bill

--
---
William O'Hara
www.N1ey.com - Amateur Radio and Railfan Blog
www.yahoogroups.com/group/illinoiscentral - premier discussion list re:
ICRR

David Kerber <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
>> Sir Thomas of Cannondale wrote:
>> >
>> > Amtrak sucks.. are ya hearing US.. it sucks.
>> >
>> > The Congress almost put the thing out of business a year or two ago.
>> > Hopefully, soon the piece of **** called Amtrak will be
>> > dead.

>> I think Congress keeps Amtrak on life support as a favor to the
>> airlines. With Amtrak gone, the market would open up for a business
>> that actually worked well and met public expectations for cross-
>> country travel (which would be another huge nail in the coffin of most
>> airlines). Many folks would opt out of what air travel has become, if
>> only there were an alternative faster than driving or taking the
>> bus.

> Like the train? It's significantly better than a bus.

$15 from Boston to Chinatown and faster than the train.

Yup... I'm loving the train at $129.

--
---

On Sep 18, 3:10 pm, "William O'Hara" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > So, if those fools decide to head somewhere for the weekend, they
> > can't hop a train instead of jumping in their car? Two of the best
> > long distance rides I have done on the road bike this tear were to a
> > destination and then return on the train. Excuses are like assholes,
> > everyone has one and the midwest houses some rather large ones.

> Are you going to get on the train at 3:30 AM in Cleveland to ride around in
> Indiana?

Look, another dumbass! Howzabout you ride BACK to the place where the
river burned from Indiana?

Why the hell would I want to live in Cleveland OR ride in Indiana?

JD