Bicycle Project with Pictures! Need Opinions please.

Michael_P

Aug 2, 2007
Hello,
For an highschool tech Studies project, I decided to make an indicator system on a bicycle, without going into too much detail, I need opinions in product/project;

Why would you use it?
Why wouldn't you use it?
Good/bad Idead? why?
How much would you expect to pay?
Flaws that are seen in this product?
If this was better produced with more apporiate equipment, Would you use it?

Basically I need Opinions from an audience that this project is directed to. Positives and/or Negatives.
Works with a 12v battery, approx. 2kg, Uses 3way switch (like motorcycles), has battery Holder which fits on the bidden screws, Lights flicker just like other indicator systems.

Thankyou in advance,
Michael.

[QUOTE

Why would you use it?
Why wouldn't you use it?
Good/bad Idead? why?
How much would you expect to pay?
Flaws that are seen in this product?
[/QUOTE]
Interesting.

Why would you use it? - It would be useful to commute to work in high traffic areas, there are a lot of dopey drivers out there.

Why wouldn't you use it? - It looks pretty heavy and very wide, it might make me look stupid (just being honest)

Good/bad Idead? why? - the first 2 answers answer this one.

How much would you expect to pay? If it was rather more modern looking and I was a serious commuter - maybe up to $60.

Flaws that are seen in this product? looks ver heavy - 2 kilos is a lot to add onto a bike, it looks a little wide and I might take out a few pedestrians and/or other cyclists.

As what janiejones said, weight would be an issue to me as would the size of the thing. To add another point, I'd like a quick release mounting system as I often use different bikes for commuting depending on mood and route I'm taking. Also how are the indicators activated. If you're going to have one or two wires mounted on the handlebars near the brake levers then this could annoy some people. I personally don't like too many cables running over and around my frame (I'm prone to catching and snapping the things).
Another point, if the indicators are mounted on the seatpost how wide would they be. I guess you wouldn't want it to project too far out to be a hindrance to getting through traffic etc but wide enough so that they can be seen if you have a rack mounted bag. It's not a bad idea (if not one that hasn't been tackled before), especially for those like myself who often commute in heavy traffic and on pretty bad roads and removing your hand from the bars to indicate can be an interesting experience. There are times I don't bother indicating where it's unsafe to do so.
Good luck with the project.

I might use something similar if I commuted in high traffic areas.

I wouldn't use it because it's large.

It's a novel idea, that has never really taken off. How and where to place the signal activators seems to always be a problem, as rider's hand positions vary greatly. To me, the "Safe Turn" indicator system http://www.safeturn.com/ makes much more sense because it incorporates the internationally accepted hand signals, and you don't have to do anything special to activate the signals besides raising your arms.

$25-$50 US

Your product is way too large using incandescent bulbs and a 12 volt battery. You could go much smaller by using LEDs and common AA or AAA batteries. A quick google search yielded these two products similar to what I'm describing:

bike%20turn%20signal%20set.jpg

bikeled.jpg