Bicycle purchasing advice

Dave

Guest
I'm about to move to a new place that'll let me commute to work and back by bicycle mostly on
relatively low speed residential roads, so I'm thinking about getting a bike in order to save on gas
and get some excercise. Problem is I don't really have any money at the moment, so I'm thinking
about getting an el-cheapo bike just to hold me over for a few months (maybe up to a year or so)
when I can afford to get a good one. Since it's going to be a temporary bike, I'm going for just
about as cheap as I can find, and amazon.com seems to fit the bill (even cheaper than the local
Evil-Mart).

That said, I would like to at least make sure that I get a bike that's the right size (I'm about
6'3") and one that's the most suited to the kind of riding I'll be doing. While most of my riding
will be on paved roads, this is the deep south and many paved roads, including one that I might end
up having to ride on, look a lot like off-road trails because the potholes appear faster than they
get patched (and the patching's usually pretty shoddy).

Here're the cheapest bikes I found at amazon. From what I've read on this group, a "comfort bike"
might be the thing to go for, but I'm not at all sure. Also, these are all "26" bikes" which is the
largest I could find at amazon. Would this be large enough? The 18 sp. Anza Mtn bike, which is also
the cheapest, even has a comment that says it's great for riding around NYC (???)

All comments, hints, etc are appreciated.

26" Mens 18 Speed Anza Mountain Bike by Dynacraft List Price: $89.99 Price: $44.98 You Save: $45.01
(50%) http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000056CHX/ref=pd_sxp_elt_l1/104-3835369-0895935

26" Mens Voyager Bike by Pacific Cycle List Price: $109.99 Price: $54.98 You Save: $55.01 (50%)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000056CHZ/ref=pd_sxp_elt_l1/104-3835369-0895935

26" Murray Grand Mesa Mens Mountain Bike by Murray Cycle List Price: $79.99 Price: $69.99 You Save:
$10.00 (13%) http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005UK8C/ref=pd_sxp_elt_l1/104-3835369-0895935

26" Mens Braemar Comfort Bicycle by Huffy Bicycles List Price: $109.99 Price: $54.98 You Save:
$55.01 (50%) http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000645DV/ref=pd_sxp_elt_l2/104-3835369-0895935

26" Mens Belfort Comfort Bicycle by Huffy Bicycles List Price: $109.99 Price: $54.98 You Save:
$55.01 (50%) http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005B08I/ref=pd_sxp_elt_l2/104-3835369-0895935

[email protected] (dave) wrote in news:[email protected]:
> Since it's going to be a temporary bike, I'm going for just about as cheap as I can find, and
> amazon.com seems to fit the bill (even cheaper than the local Evil-Mart).

I have no idea what Amazon sells, but I doubt its a good deal. I think you're much better off
getting a used bike. During the spring, you usually have a pretty good selection at college
graduation sales.

Ken

>Since it's going to be a temporary bike, I'm going for just about as cheap as I can find...

Well, I'm known for being cheaper than Jack Benny and some people call me a scrounger. So here's my
advice for what it's worth.

First of all, you're 6' 3". That isn't going to change anytime soon and it likely means that a one
size fits all bike isn't going to be a good choice. The 26" in the ads refers to wheel size, not
frame size.

On a road bike, assuming normal proportions, you'd want a 60 cm frame, maybe taller. So that kills
X-Mart bikes, sorry.

You are going to have to get creative. I'd suggest something in a 1970s-80s sport bike, an awful lot
of them were built with 24.5 inch frames, and an awful lot of them are still out there.

The problem is that you aren't prepared to evaluate their condition without local help.

What I'd do is first go to the local bike shop and let them know what you need. You're new in town
and you need contacts anyway, this is a logical place to start. They might even be willing to hook
you up with an appropriate ride for what you can afford.

I would not think that you'd have to pay over $60 bucks for a serviceable bicycle in your size,
unless you're in a high demand market, say a military/college town.

Learn some basic bicycle mechanics and your horizons can broaden to include thrift shops, pawn shops
(sometimes), and garage sales.

Dumpsters can yield decent parts, but that's graduate scrounging.

Jon has a FAQ on evaluating used bicycles that's very good reading.

the Texas Elvis"------------------

A good friend of mine picked up a $500 for $80 at a local pawn shop. We live near a college town and
apprently, some of the college kids would rather sell their bikes than pack it up and take it home
at the end of semester.

Don't always buy on price though. You really need to get on a bike and try it out. As it was
mentioned above, go to the local shops and tell them your situation. Have them fit you for a bike
and see what works and what doesn't work for you. The guys working there may even know someone that
is looking to get rid of a bike.

Keep in mind, if you are going to be riding every day, allocate some $$$ for clothing and gear other
than the bike. You might want to save some $$$ for a nice packable pair of pants and jacket. Riding
wet can be really miserable.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

[email protected] (dave) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> Problem is I don't really have any money at the moment, so I'm thinking about getting an el-cheapo
> bike just to hold me over for a few months (maybe up to a year or so) when I can afford to get a
> good one. Since it's going to be a temporary bike, I'm going for just about as cheap as I can
> find, and amazon.com seems to fit the bill (even cheaper than the local Evil-Mart).

Dave- While Amazon is one place you can start, I doubt their free shipping over $25 applies on
bicycles. Also, you'll have to put it together. See if you can learn from a buddy or a local bike
shop some basic maintenance. Some shops have classes every so often. Another place to look would be
eBay. They have quite a few sub-200$ bikes - beaters, sure, but they'll get you there. A single
speed (or cheap multi-speed) would probably work nicely. Another alternative would be garage sales -
they often have bikes, not too expensive.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2710314353&category=7298
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2711032840&category=7298
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2710319521&category=7298 Good luck!! Matt

"Eric S. Sande" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> >Since it's going to be a temporary bike, I'm going for just about as cheap as I can find...
>
> Well, I'm known for being cheaper than Jack Benny and some people call me a scrounger. So here's
> my advice for what it's worth.
>
> First of all, you're 6' 3". That isn't going to change anytime soon and it likely means that a one
> size fits all bike isn't going to be a good choice. The 26" in the ads refers to wheel size, not
> frame size.
>
> On a road bike, assuming normal proportions, you'd want a 60 cm frame, maybe taller. So that kills
> X-Mart bikes, sorry.

Thanks. You probably saved me from making a big mistake there :)

> You are going to have to get creative. I'd suggest something in a 1970s-80s sport bike, an awful
> lot of them were built with 24.5 inch frames, and an awful lot of them are still out there.
>
> The problem is that you aren't prepared to evaluate their condition without local help.
>
> What I'd do is first go to the local bike shop and let them know what you need. You're new in town
> and you need contacts anyway, this is a logical place to start. They might even be willing to hook
> you up with an appropriate ride for what you can afford.
>
> I would not think that you'd have to pay over $60 bucks for a serviceable bicycle in your size,
> unless you're in a high demand market, say a military/college town.

I'm actually not new in town. Same crappy place, slightly better neighborhood :)

It's sort of a "college town" (if you consider ~3,500 out of 23,000 to be a college town ratio). By
my estimates, however, 95-99% of the students at the college have cars on campus or commute by car.
You could probably count the people who commute by bike on one hand.

There used to be a bike shop in town, but it only lasted a few months before closing. The two
current ones are 20-30 min away by car, so I called before making the trip. The first said there
was an advert posted on their board for a used Raleigh at $200. The second had a used hybrid, also
for $200 :-(

I did, however, find the website of a local bike club (never would've thought there was one around
here) and sent an inquiry to their mailing list. So far, I've been offered a ca. 1970 Schwinn
Supersport that's supposed to be in working condition, presumably for under $100 (the only criteria
I specified).

> Jon has a FAQ on evaluating used bicycles that's very good reading.

Do you know the URL for it?

[email protected] (Jon Isaacs) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> >> Jon has a FAQ on evaluating used bicycles that's very good reading.
> >
> >Do you know the URL for it?
> >

> There is no URL but I can Email the information to you if you want.

Please do. I just mailed you off-list.

> Also: Where are you located??

Central Mississippi.