Bicycle Ride Across Georgia

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Rob Rudeski, Mar 3, 2003.

  1. Rob Rudeski

    Rob Rudeski Guest

    Hi All,

    Is anyone riding BRAG this summer? I'm wondering how many bents will be there.

    Rob

    Tags:

  2. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    I have ridden BRAG since 1999. There are typically ten percent 'bents. The last couple of years I
    have towed my BOB.

    "Rob Rudeski" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Is anyone riding BRAG this summer? I'm wondering how many bents will be there.
    >
    > Rob

  3. Dave Miller

    Dave Miller Guest

    On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 21:01:57 -0500, "Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have ridden BRAG since 1999. There are typically ten percent 'bents. The last couple of years I
    >have towed my BOB.

    I saw a fellow on the South Carolina ride (right after Georgia) was that you?

  4. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    Yes. In 2002, BRAG and CSC met at Hartwell, Ga. I rode from Rockmart, Ga to Isle of Palms, SC in two
    weeks and eight hundred miles. Isle of Palms is on my daily ride route.

    <Dave Miller> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 21:01:57 -0500, "Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I have ridden BRAG since 1999. There are typically ten percent 'bents.
    The
    > >last couple of years I have towed my BOB.
    > >
    > I saw a fellow on the South Carolina ride (right after Georgia) was that you?

  5. Dave Miller

    Dave Miller Guest

    On Tue, 4 Mar 2003 06:15:13 -0500, "Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Yes. In 2002, BRAG and CSC met at Hartwell, Ga. I rode from Rockmart, Ga to Isle of Palms, SC in
    >two weeks and eight hundred miles. Isle of Palms is on my daily ride route.
    >

    ><Dave Miller> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 21:01:57 -0500, "Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I have ridden BRAG since 1999. There are typically ten percent 'bents.
    >The
    >> >last couple of years I have towed my BOB.
    >> >
    >> I saw a fellow on the South Carolina ride (right after Georgia) was that you?

    I applaud you! "The Wall" on the 2nd day (?) nearly killed me WITHOUT a BOB.

    I go to Charleston fairly often, can you recommend some route?

    Thanks

  6. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    Not in the City proper. There are old and substandard bridges between my home and Charleston so I
    have never ridden in the City. And there are political issues....

    I live in Mount Pleasant and ride daily through 'old' Mt. Pleasant on Pitt Street to (left on)
    Center St. to (right on) Ben Sawyer Boulevard over the Intracoastal Waterway to Sullivan's Island.
    There I make a right on Atlantic, loop around under the Sullivan's Is. Lighthouse, back along
    Atlantic Ave and the waterfront streets to cross the Breach Inlet (Thompson Mem.) Bridge. Then right
    back to the waterfront on Ocean Blvd, left on 14th Ave (Co. Park/toilets on right), cross Palm Blvd
    onto the Isle of Palms Connector (-517). I turn back at Seaside Farms (Rifle Range Rd) for my 30
    mile route and retrace. For forty miles, I go right on Rifle Range to Porchers Bluff Rd and turn
    around at SC-17 and retrace.

    I am in the phone book and you can see my e-mail address. I'd be pleased to have company. Coastal
    Cyclists web site has routes posted also.

    <Dave Miller> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Tue, 4 Mar 2003 06:15:13 -0500, "Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Yes. In 2002, BRAG and CSC met at Hartwell, Ga. I rode from Rockmart,
    Ga
    > >to Isle of Palms, SC in two weeks and eight hundred miles. Isle of Palms
    is
    > >on my daily ride route.
    > >

    > ><Dave Miller> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > >The
    > >> >
    > >> I saw a fellow on the South Carolina ride (right after Georgia) was that you?
    > >

    > I applaud you! "The Wall" on the 2nd day (?) nearly killed me WITHOUT a BOB.
    >
    > I go to Charleston fairly often, can you recommend some route?
    >
    > Thanks

  7. Zonker

    Zonker Guest

    Doug,

    I'm thinking of doing BRAG, you obviously enjoy the experience since you've done quite a few! Do you
    have any "gotcha's" to share?

    Thanks,

    Eric

  8. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    I have done a real few and especially as compared to the really experienced. Don't expect to be
    pleased with your neighbors in camp. Many will be 'families' with the enablers driving ahead,
    picking out the nice site, setting camp and then the 'riders' come in ready to party. If you don't
    like lines/queues and can't alter your habits to avoid them then expect to be frustrated.

    "Zonker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Doug,
    >
    > I'm thinking of doing BRAG, you obviously enjoy the experience since you've done quite a few! Do
    > you have any "gotcha's" to share?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Eric

  9. Dave Miller

    Dave Miller Guest

    On Thu, 6 Mar 2003 13:11:18 -0500, "Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have done a real few and especially as compared to the really experienced. Don't expect to be
    >pleased with your neighbors in camp. Many will be 'families' with the enablers driving ahead,
    >picking out the nice site, setting camp and then the 'riders' come in ready to party. If you don't
    >like lines/queues and can't alter your habits to avoid them then expect to be frustrated.

    That DEFINITLY can happen! . OTOH , I ride a little faster (I cheat and have my luggage carried for
    me!) and am usually one of the first in camp ( I love beating the DF's!) and always picked a place
    AWAY from those coveted locations and did not experice the same problems -