Bicycle Ride Across Georgia

Rob Rudeski

Guest
Hi All,

Is anyone riding BRAG this summer? I'm wondering how many bents will be there.

Rob

I have ridden BRAG since 1999. There are typically ten percent 'bents. The last couple of years I
have towed my BOB.

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 21:01:57 -0500, "Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I have ridden BRAG since 1999. There are typically ten percent 'bents. The last couple of years I
>have towed my BOB.

I saw a fellow on the South Carolina ride (right after Georgia) was that you?

Yes. In 2002, BRAG and CSC met at Hartwell, Ga. I rode from Rockmart, Ga to Isle of Palms, SC in two
weeks and eight hundred miles. Isle of Palms is on my daily ride route.

On Tue, 4 Mar 2003 06:15:13 -0500, "Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Yes. In 2002, BRAG and CSC met at Hartwell, Ga. I rode from Rockmart, Ga to Isle of Palms, SC in
>two weeks and eight hundred miles. Isle of Palms is on my daily ride route.
>

><Dave Miller> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 21:01:57 -0500, "Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >I have ridden BRAG since 1999. There are typically ten percent 'bents.
>The
>> >last couple of years I have towed my BOB.
>> >
>> I saw a fellow on the South Carolina ride (right after Georgia) was that you?

I applaud you! "The Wall" on the 2nd day (?) nearly killed me WITHOUT a BOB.

I go to Charleston fairly often, can you recommend some route?

Thanks

Not in the City proper. There are old and substandard bridges between my home and Charleston so I
have never ridden in the City. And there are political issues....

I live in Mount Pleasant and ride daily through 'old' Mt. Pleasant on Pitt Street to (left on)
Center St. to (right on) Ben Sawyer Boulevard over the Intracoastal Waterway to Sullivan's Island.
There I make a right on Atlantic, loop around under the Sullivan's Is. Lighthouse, back along
Atlantic Ave and the waterfront streets to cross the Breach Inlet (Thompson Mem.) Bridge. Then right
back to the waterfront on Ocean Blvd, left on 14th Ave (Co. Park/toilets on right), cross Palm Blvd
onto the Isle of Palms Connector (-517). I turn back at Seaside Farms (Rifle Range Rd) for my 30
mile route and retrace. For forty miles, I go right on Rifle Range to Porchers Bluff Rd and turn
around at SC-17 and retrace.

I am in the phone book and you can see my e-mail address. I'd be pleased to have company. Coastal
Cyclists web site has routes posted also.

<Dave Miller> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 4 Mar 2003 06:15:13 -0500, "Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Yes. In 2002, BRAG and CSC met at Hartwell, Ga. I rode from Rockmart,
Ga
> >to Isle of Palms, SC in two weeks and eight hundred miles. Isle of Palms
is
> >on my daily ride route.
> >

> ><Dave Miller> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> >The
> >> >
> >> I saw a fellow on the South Carolina ride (right after Georgia) was that you?
> >

> I applaud you! "The Wall" on the 2nd day (?) nearly killed me WITHOUT a BOB.
>
> I go to Charleston fairly often, can you recommend some route?
>
> Thanks

Doug,

I'm thinking of doing BRAG, you obviously enjoy the experience since you've done quite a few! Do you
have any "gotcha's" to share?

Thanks,

Eric

I have done a real few and especially as compared to the really experienced. Don't expect to be
pleased with your neighbors in camp. Many will be 'families' with the enablers driving ahead,
picking out the nice site, setting camp and then the 'riders' come in ready to party. If you don't
like lines/queues and can't alter your habits to avoid them then expect to be frustrated.

news:[email protected]...

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003 13:11:18 -0500, "Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I have done a real few and especially as compared to the really experienced. Don't expect to be
>pleased with your neighbors in camp. Many will be 'families' with the enablers driving ahead,
>picking out the nice site, setting camp and then the 'riders' come in ready to party. If you don't
>like lines/queues and can't alter your habits to avoid them then expect to be frustrated.

That DEFINITLY can happen! . OTOH , I ride a little faster (I cheat and have my luggage carried for
me!) and am usually one of the first in camp ( I love beating the DF's!) and always picked a place
AWAY from those coveted locations and did not experice the same problems -