Bicycle riders will get more respect once they start obeying the laws that govern them.

On Jun 4, 8:52 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> On Jun 4, 6:35 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>

> > Yeah, that's right! When bicyclists adhere to the rules of the road
> > here in NC, like they are supposed to, that is when you will probably
> > see people be a bit more tolerant of them.

> > Running redlights, entering an intersection when already having a
> > yellow and the ability to stop, 30 in a 25 (oh yes, I ran across that
> > today here in Cary).

> > You always hear these bicycle groups talking about how they are not
> > getting the proper respect on the road, but they don't mind breaking
> > the law themselves.

> > And here is another clue for you bicycle riders in the Triangle part
> > of NC. When you have a sidewalk available to you why don't you use
> > it? Just remember that pedestrians have the right-of-way on
> > sidewalks, and that you will have to get off your bike and walk around
> > them. It won't hurt you so bad.....after all, you ARE out for
> > exercise, aren't you?

> > Yeah...if there AIN'T a bikelane and there IS a sidewalk, how's about
> > pick it on up and off'n the road? The road is not one of those horse
> > and shield in an amphitheater things, you know what I mean vern?

> Good troll. Nicely done. Not a single swear word in there, good
> spelling, and usage of a classic Jim Varney catch-phrase. All-in-all,
> a solid 6 out of 10. Might have gotten a 7 or 7.5 if he had posted to
> rbm instead of rbr.
>
> A few years back I had the opportunity to ride some around Cary, NC
> and, thankfully, never had the displeasure of encountering anyone that
> shares your views.

Well, come on back to visit again fella....we are getting more and
more of those replanted Yankees down here in Cary..... And you KNOW
how arrogant and impatient those people from "up Nawth" can be.

CARY - Capital Area Replanted Yankees

On Jun 5, 6:58 pm, "Phil Holman" <piholmanc@yourservice> wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Yeah, that's right! When bicyclists adhere to the rules of the road
> > here in NC, like they are supposed to, that is when you will probably
> > see people be a bit more tolerant of them.

> Well thanks for straightening us out on that one. Now, how do we get
> drivers to do the same thing? Those 37 000 vehicular deaths a year on US
> roads are a little embarrassing, don't you think.
>
> Phil H

errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...too bad they aren't all bicyclists? (seeking to
understand)

On Jun 8, 6:27 pm, "CopperTop" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I started reading all of these post on this subject. But honestly didn't
> read all of them.
>
> From my perspective, bicycle riders may very well have a legal right to the
> road. But my gasoline tax for my car pays for those paved roads they have a
> legal right to. Not fair. My tax money goes to build bike lanes. Not
> fair.
>
> A bike rider will argue he has a right to be there. BUT what kind of idiot
> on a bike weighing maybe 200 lbs total is going to get in the street and try
> to compete for space with a 60,000 lb truck? A 5000 lb SUV? Hell, even a
> 1800 lb small car? Legal right or not, bike riders are idiots.
>
> Most bike riders break all the laws. At least 95% of the ones I see around
> Charlotte don't slow down for intersections, are arrogant enough to ride in
> the middle of the lane and dare to to say anything. They intentionally get
> in front of you and slow down, I've seen them move over close to the center
> line just to make it as hard as possible for you to pass.
>
> Screw them. I don't give them an inch or any consideration. When the cops
> start ticketing them, when the riders start acting with some sense; maybe I
> will give them some consierdation but not until then.

good point. maybe they DO need to start paying a road use tax...I
wonder how it would be administered though...

*scrubbing my chin, trying to think of a good way to "get 'er
done!".....

"Pudentame" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Tom Kunich wrote:
>> "Pudentame" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> Actually, since it was coming from the heraldry group, I think he was
>>> merely remarking on some of the other postings obvious hostility, and
>>> pointing out the thread's lack of relationship to heraldry, especially
>>> since he dropped the heraldry group from the group list and no one has
>>> bothered to put it back.

>> This group is remarkable for it's friendly conversations. Try some of the
>> other groups if you want hostility.

> Which group is "this group"; tri.gen certainly ain't.

rec.bicycles.racing. While there have been some pretty nasty sessions
sometimes lasting weeks or even months (Any strong concerning Laff@me for
instance) it is remarkably civil compared to many of the other groups that
would surprise a lot of people - try reading some of the Chess groups
sometime if you think that this is hostile.

Tom Kunich wrote:
> try reading some of the Chess groups sometime if you think that this is hostile.

That's because the chess players are all on steroids.

[email protected] wrote:
> On Jun 4, 8:14 pm, nayR <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Sounds like an angry driver to me. Especially when talkin' about
>> walkin' a bicycle on a sidewalk.. walkin' a bicycle. Irony? Unless
>> there's a mechanical issue or flat tire, I find it funny. Regardless
>> if that's exercise or not, cyclists are allowed on the road as well as
>> any car. No need for a bike lane to state that. Sure, there are
>> cyclists who don't obey the law, but there are drivers who do the
>> same. Passin' through an intersection when the light's yellow is not
>> restricted to cyclists alone. It's not illegal, anyway. I doubt
>> those cyclists would listen to you even if you told them much like
>> drivers, so it's a lost cause.

> Bicyclists are required to yield the right-of-way to pedestrians when
> they are using their bikes on the sidewalk, my puppy. If you don't
> believe it, go on downtown wherever you live and check with your local
> law enforcement.
>
> They'll school you....

Not around here ... they'll tell you to get that &*(^& bicycle off the
sidewalks!

On Jun 17, 8:05 am, Pudentame <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > On Jun 4, 8:14 pm, nayR <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> Sounds like an angry driver to me. Especially when talkin' about
> >> walkin' a bicycle on a sidewalk.. walkin' a bicycle. Irony? Unless
> >> there's a mechanical issue or flat tire, I find it funny. Regardless
> >> if that's exercise or not, cyclists are allowed on the road as well as
> >> any car. No need for a bike lane to state that. Sure, there are
> >> cyclists who don't obey the law, but there are drivers who do the
> >> same. Passin' through an intersection when the light's yellow is not
> >> restricted to cyclists alone. It's not illegal, anyway. I doubt
> >> those cyclists would listen to you even if you told them much like
> >> drivers, so it's a lost cause.

> > Bicyclists are required to yield the right-of-way to pedestrians when
> > they are using their bikes on the sidewalk, my puppy. If you don't
> > believe it, go on downtown wherever you live and check with your local
> > law enforcement.

> > They'll school you....

> Not around here ... they'll tell you to get that &*(^& bicycle off the
> sidewalks!

yeah..and that's when you tell them to f*ck off!

On Jun 18, 7:20 pm, [email protected] wrote:

> yeah..and that's when you tell them to f*ck off!

But bicycles are vehicles, and not only have a legal place on the ROW
(except where proscribed), but they are so completely recognized as
vehicles that they are prohibited from sidewalks in many places,
especially in downtown city areas. --D-y

[email protected] wrote:
> I'll walk my bike for safety when a motorist pushes her car on the
> road for the same reason.
>
> -Rick
>
> On Jun 27, 7:35 pm, Ed <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>In article <[email protected]>,
>>
>><[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>Yeah, that's right! When bicyclists adhere to the rules of the road....

>>Ya mean like cars do? Hahahahahahah.

Lets see, this week alone I've seen:
4 bikes on the sidewalk, despite a city wide ordanance against it. One
of which had a bike lane adjacent to the sidewalk.
3 bikes run red lights, two of them making left turns, one going straight.
1 rider that came within inches of running over a pedestrian attempting
to board a bus
1 rider attempting to signal a right turn -with his right hand
2 riders side by side blocking the lane on a road that is notoriously
curvey and hilly with only for one spot for passing -average speed less
than 5 mph, speedlimit for vehicles-45 (and most do 55)
I attempt to follow the rules of the road, and at the same time be
courteous to others, both cyclist and other drivers. At the same time, I
figure I've got at least a half-ton of steel and plastic protecting my
delicate skin, where as the cyclist has zip. A 35mph fender bender will
probably not give me an injury. It potentially could kill someone not
protected. And, it's my experience that if you continue a pattern of
foolish actions, the laws of probability catches you.

Final note: Please, Please edit your header and remove the rec.heraldry
news group for replies and further posts!
THanks,
Roger Connor

Ed wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Yeah, that's right! When bicyclists adhere to the rules of the road....

> Ya mean like cars do? Hahahahahahah.

no kidding... i had a near miss at a suburban intersection,when some
stupid teenage yahoo blithely sailed through a stop sign. Fortunately, i
had the sense to stop, fishtailing in the process...teenagers driving
their parents cars are the worst.

On Jun 28, 5:32 pm, Marlene Blanshay <[email protected]> wrote:
> Ed wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Yeah, that's right! When bicyclists adhere to the rules of the road....

> > Ya mean like cars do? Hahahahahahah.

> no kidding... i had a near miss at a suburban intersection,when some
> stupid teenage yahoo blithely sailed through a stop sign. Fortunately, i
> had the sense to stop, fishtailing in the process...teenagers driving
> their parents cars are the worst.

WOOHAA!!!!!!! SUCCESS!!!!! 220 posts, and counting! Who said I could
not evoke spirited discussions?