Bicycle riders will get more respect once they start obeying the laws that govern them.

Wayne Pein wrote:

> Hence the problem, on the one hand, the NC DOT says farm
> tractors are vehicles, with certain exceptions, and they
> have the right to occupy a lane just like a motor vehicle.

There's a world of difference between a farm combine on the
road a short distance (travelling between fields) and you.
It has been my experience that:

- the farm implement is quite large; easily visible more than
a quarter-mile away, under any road condition.
- the driver of the farm implement has to be there; disrupting
and delaying traffic for fun probably doesn't enter his mind.
- the driver of the farm implement pays attention to the traffic
around him.
- the driver of the farm implement will PULL OVER to permit the
line of traffic that has grown behind him to pass, whenever
the space to do so presents itself.

This is true without even mentioning the lazy, corrupt college
boys infesting the NC DOT with the traffic *CONTROL* philosophy
they've been taught - instead of the traffic *FLOW* goals used
in the DOTs of more-enlightened states.

geoff wrote:

>> You know nothing about the joys of riding a bike.

> For someone who is so joyful, you and some others here sure are
> hostile a lot.

Dude:

You were the one talking about "teaching cyclists to fly in 15 pieces"
weren't you? That sounded pretty hostile to me.

--
Bill Asher

Pudentame wrote:

> NCGS 20-140. Reckless Driving
>
> (a) Any person who drives any vehicle upon a highway or any public
> vehicular area carelessly and heedlessly in willful or wanton disregard
> of the rights or safety of others shall be guilty of reckless driving.
> (b) Any person who drives any vehicle upon a highway or any public
> vehicular area without due caution and circumspection and at a speed or
> in a manner so as to endanger or be likely to endanger any person or
> property shall be guilty of reckless driving.

e.g. - those lazily bicycling 5 mph - two abreast - upon a
twisting, forested two-lane blacktop country road with a
45-55mph speed limit.

David Phillips wrote:

> On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 17:11:00 -0400, Wayne Pein <[email protected]>

>>So, the attitude of some farm tractor drivers is, 'I have as much right
>>to a lane on the road as any other vehicle and if the cars behind me do
>>not like driving 15 mph, tough ass, I am within the law'.
>>
>>Wayne

> A considerate tractor driver will periodically pull over to the side
> when it's safe, and traffic has started to back up behind the tractor,
> esp. on a road with few passing opportunities.
>
> I've yet to encounter a gaggle of bicyclists out on similar roads,
> riding to take up the entire lane, that will do anything to help cars
> behind THEM get past.

So if there were a "gaggle" of farm tractors they would all pull
entirely off the road to let backing up traffic pass. I think not.

> I have no problem with the concept of sharing the road with slower
> vehicles, including bicyclists.

What is your concept of sharing the road with slower vehicles? How
exactly do you share?

> I have the utmost contempt for those rude operators, of any type of
> vehicle, that do not cooperate with other operators.

Bicyclists "cooperate" with other operators almost all the time by
letting those other operators pass in the bicyclist's lane. So quit
whining about the very few times that they don't let motorists use their
lane. There is no advantage to bicyclists for having motorists pass in
their lane.

Wayne

geoff wrote:

>>You know nothing about the joys of riding a bike.

> For someone who is so joyful, you and some others here sure are hostile a
> lot.
>
> -g

When we have to deal with sanctimonious hostile motorists, on the bike
or on the keyboard, we get hostile.

Wayne

Dweezil Dwarftosser wrote:

> There's a world of difference between a farm combine on the
> road a short distance (travelling between fields) and you.

> It has been my experience that:
>
> - the farm implement is quite large; easily visible more than
> a quarter-mile away, under any road condition.

I wear hi viz jerseys easily visible more than a quarter mile away.

> - the driver of the farm implement has to be there; disrupting
> and delaying traffic for fun probably doesn't enter his mind.

The driver of a bicycle is there; disrupting and delaying traffic for
fun doesn't enter his or her mind.

> - the driver of the farm implement pays attention to the traffic
> around him.

Bicycle drivers pay attention to traffic in front of them, where
attention is supposed to be held. We know motorists are behind because
we can hear their loud gas burning engines and other mechanical noises.

> - the driver of the farm implement will PULL OVER to permit the
> line of traffic that has grown behind him to pass, whenever
> the space to do so presents itself.

A bicycle driver may pull over to permit the line of traffic to pass,
but generally there is no line because motorists squeeze by the narrow
bicycle which usually is already pulled over to facilitate motorists.

> This is true without even mentioning the lazy, corrupt college
> boys infesting the NC DOT with the traffic *CONTROL* philosophy
> they've been taught - instead of the traffic *FLOW* goals used
> in the DOTs of more-enlightened states.

This is irrelevant, but if it makes you happy to spew, go ahead.

Wayne

Dweezil Dwarftosser wrote:

> Pudentame wrote:
>

>>NCGS 20-140. Reckless Driving
>>
>> (a) Any person who drives any vehicle upon a highway or any public
>>vehicular area carelessly and heedlessly in willful or wanton disregard
>>of the rights or safety of others shall be guilty of reckless driving.
>>(b) Any person who drives any vehicle upon a highway or any public
>>vehicular area without due caution and circumspection and at a speed or
>>in a manner so as to endanger or be likely to endanger any person or
>>property shall be guilty of reckless driving.

> e.g. - those lazily bicycling 5 mph - two abreast - upon a
> twisting, forested two-lane blacktop country road with a
> 45-55mph speed limit.

Dweezil,

Quit the BS. First, it's unlikely two bicyclists riding abreast will be
doing only 5 mph. Second, the roads are designed so that a motorist can
come to a complete stop prior to striking a stationary object.
Bicyclists, even doing 5 mph, provide significant margin for error.
Third, the speed limit is applicable if conditions allow. Sometimes they
don't. Quit whining.

You're a classic self-serving victim blamer.

Wayne

"Wayne Pein" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Stefan Wolfe wrote:
>> "Wayne Pein" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>>>So people on bikes are not going somewhere?

>> They seem to have nowhere to go and all day to get there.
>>
>> Using an exercycle at home would seem to serve this same purpose.

> You know nothing about the joys of riding a bike.

You are doing a good job of explaining these joys in this thread. I can tell
you are a joyful person. The 'joy' you think you are experiencing comes from
the biological release of norepinephrine, a natural narcotic experienced by
joggers and others partaking in medium to high levels of muscular exertion.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norepinephrine

You should not mistake chemical stimulation for the real thing.

>I suggest you try.

Sorry, other than the exercise, it seems to be a pointless activity. I can
accomplish the same thing with my treadmill and not be exposed to all those
alleged 'hostile' motorists who would be aiming their cars at me, trying to
run me over.

> Maybe if would change you from the jerk that you are.

Maybe I could become the humble, level headed citizen that you have shown
yourself to be.

> You were the one talking about "teaching cyclists to fly in 15 pieces"
> weren't you? That sounded pretty hostile to me.

Nope, wasn't me.

-g

> When we have to deal with sanctimonious hostile motorists, on the bike or
> on the keyboard, we get hostile.

Actually, at this point, you're tiresome. You name call, state how you
think things should be, and tough ass for anyone else.

Have a 'joyful' life.

-g

You sound like perfect, I bet you ate all you carrots too as a boy.

-g

Right you are, I got you confused with the small ******. Sorry about that.

--
Bill Asher

In article <[email protected]>,
Roger Connor <[email protected]> wrote:

> First of all, how is this thread related to heraldry (I'm reading
> Rec.heraldry) and why was it cross posted?

You can trace the References: headers back to the
source. Need I do everything for you? Okay, here it is.
<[email protected]>

Now take it up there and stop whining.

--
Michael Press

"Michael Press" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Roger Connor <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> First of all, how is this thread related to heraldry (I'm reading
>> Rec.heraldry) and why was it cross posted?

> You can trace the References: headers back to the
> source. Need I do everything for you? Okay, here it is.
> <[email protected]>
>
> Now take it up there and stop whining.

What the hell is heraldry anyway?

> I know you can take care of yourself . . .

The way I take care of it is call the police, he can vent his rage on them.

-g

"Stefan Wolfe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Michael Press" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> Roger Connor <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> First of all, how is this thread related to heraldry (I'm reading
>>> Rec.heraldry) and why was it cross posted?

>> You can trace the References: headers back to the
>> source. Need I do everything for you? Okay, here it is.
>> <[email protected]>
>>
>> Now take it up there and stop whining.

> What the hell is heraldry anyway?

From the rec.heraldry FAQ

1: What is rec.heraldry?
========================

The rec.heraldry newsgroup exists for the discussion of coats of arms,
the work and history of heralds, and related topics such as flags,
seals, ceremony and precedence.

geoff wrote:

>>When we have to deal with sanctimonious hostile motorists, on the bike or
>>on the keyboard, we get hostile.

> Actually, at this point, you're tiresome. You name call, state how you
> think things should be, and tough ass for anyone else.
>
> Have a 'joyful' life.

You, among others, start the hostilites by telling bicyclists how we do
things wrong, and expect us to acquiese under your ignorance of the law.

Wayne

Stefan Wolfe wrote:

> You are doing a good job of explaining these joys in this thread.

Look buddy, you and others started this by attacking bicyclists. This
thread isn't about me trying to explain the joys of riding a bike to
you. Read the subject line.

I can tell
> you are a joyful person. The 'joy' you think you are experiencing comes from
> the biological release of norepinephrine, a natural narcotic experienced by
> joggers and others partaking in medium to high levels of muscular exertion.
> See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norepinephrine
>
> You should not mistake chemical stimulation for the real thing.

If you think the joys of riding a bike are all about brain chemicals, it
is no wonder you think it is pointless and that running on a treadmill
is similar.

Wayne

Stefan Wolfe wrote:

> What the hell is heraldry anyway?