Bicycle riders

Chuckie

Guest
"Adam Weiss" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Lou Minatti wrote:
> > [email protected] (J Young) wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...

> >>This subject has been broached before and must be addressed again. The
> >>greatest hazard posed to the traveling public are bicycle riders. All
> >>the environmental advantages presented by bicyclists are nullified by
> >>the reckless abandon in which they travel. Traffic laws are ignored;
> >>courtesy being an afterthought. Our elderly citizens take their lives
> >>in their hands every time they venture downtown. Bicycles should be
> >>restricted to parks within the city limits.

> > Bicyclists enjoy the same rights as motorists. The problem is the city
> > and county have done a lousy job of providing shoulders and sidewalks.

> The idea in Houston is to cram more lanes on the same amount of
> pavement. Shoulders are eliminated. Lanes narrowed. It sometimes
> feels like the engineers laying out our roads don't actually use them.
>
> The situation for bicyclists and drivers alike is getting worse. And
> worse even is the fact that there is no hope for it getting better.
> There is no unified vision for Houston's roads and transit system -
> thanks to the five separate departments in charge of it.

This subject has been broached before and must be addressed again. The
greatest hazard posed to the traveling public are CARS. All
the environmental advantages presented by CAR DRIVERS are nullified by
the reckless abandon in which they travel. Traffic laws are ignored;
courtesy being an afterthought. Our elderly citizens take their lives
in their hands every time they venture downtown.
CARS should be restricted to parks within the city limits.

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Eh. I never have a problem with them, and honestly the more people who ride
bicycles the less people creating traffic problems for me. Besides, I think
a bigger problem in Austin is pedestrians who don't obey cross walks.
Bicycles seems like a really stupid issue to be worried about, but I guess
triviality is the product of privilege. Find something more meaningful to
***** about.

-J

David <[email protected]> wrote:

>Eh. I never have a problem with them, and honestly the more people who ride
>bicycles the less people creating traffic problems for me. Besides, I think
>a bigger problem in Austin is pedestrians who don't obey cross walks.
>Bicycles seems like a really stupid issue to be worried about, but I guess
>triviality is the product of privilege. Find something more meaningful to
>***** about.

In psychology it's called transference. "There's a problem with
too many cars. But I like my car, therefore I need to find
something else to blame the problem on."

--
Steven O'Neill [email protected]

Steven M. O'Neill wrote:

>>Eh. I never have a problem with them, and honestly the more people who ride
>>bicycles the less people creating traffic problems for me. Besides, I think
>>a bigger problem in Austin is pedestrians who don't obey cross walks.
>>Bicycles seems like a really stupid issue to be worried about, but I guess
>>triviality is the product of privilege. Find something more meaningful to
>>***** about.

> In psychology it's called transference. "There's a problem with
> too many cars. But I like my car, therefore I need to find
> something else to blame the problem on."

I thought with transference you fell in love with your therapist? ;-)

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com

"Chuckie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > The idea in Houston is to cram more lanes on the same amount of
> > pavement. Shoulders are eliminated. Lanes narrowed. It sometimes
> > feels like the engineers laying out our roads don't actually use them.
> >
> > The situation for bicyclists and drivers alike is getting worse. And
> > worse even is the fact that there is no hope for it getting better.
> > There is no unified vision for Houston's roads and transit system -
> > thanks to the five separate departments in charge of it.

In Philly the bikers are allowed to ride on the oversized sidewalks.
But the drivers here are nuts. Almost got run down by a bus.
and yes, I was on the sidewalk at the time, he was taking a shortcut.

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 12:39:21 -0500, "Tenzo" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"Chuckie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>>> >
>> > The idea in Houston is to cram more lanes on the same amount of
>> > pavement. Shoulders are eliminated. Lanes narrowed. It sometimes
>> > feels like the engineers laying out our roads don't actually use them.
>> >
>> > The situation for bicyclists and drivers alike is getting worse. And
>> > worse even is the fact that there is no hope for it getting better.
>> > There is no unified vision for Houston's roads and transit system -
>> > thanks to the five separate departments in charge of it.
>> >

>In Philly the bikers are allowed to ride on the oversized sidewalks.
>But the drivers here are nuts. Almost got run down by a bus.
>and yes, I was on the sidewalk at the time, he was taking a shortcut.

Apparently the buses are also allowed to drive on the oversized
sidewalks?

Tenzo wrote:

> In Philly the bikers are allowed to ride on the oversized sidewalks.
> But the drivers here are nuts. Almost got run down by a bus.
> and yes, I was on the sidewalk at the time, he was taking a shortcut.

Not true. Philadelphia City ordinance prohibits anyone over age 12 from
riding on any sidewalk. In addition, Pennsylvania law prohibits anyone
from riding a bike on a sidewalk in a "business district". I'm a little
confused about where you might have been riding because there are very
few oversized sidewalks, most sidewalks in the city are undersized even
for pedestrian use. There are a small number of sidewalk style "multi
use paths" through parts of the park system. In general sidewalk riding
is a bad idea, it is less safe for you and is extremely rude to
pedestrians which makes all cyclists look bad.

Leland Mayne
[email protected]