Bicycle Riding on Square Wheels

Ted Bennett <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> http://radio.weblogs.com/0105910/2004/04/05.html
>
> (Yes, I know it's actually a trike.)

Dear Ted,

Since no one else has responded to your
magnificent link, I'll step up and admit
that I desperately want to ride this bike.

I also want to know whether those square
wheels stand on their corners or on their
flats and whether tubulars or clinchers
would be best kind of tires.

As for their claim that no one can think of
a road shaped shaped like a tire, I'm
puzzled by their failure to see that
we ride with circular tires on a spherical
planet and watch motorcycles whizzing around
inside globular mesh cages at circuses on
round tires.

Thanks for a wonderful link,

Carl Fogel

On 6 Apr 2004 10:49:00 -0700, [email protected] (Carl Fogel) may
have said:

>As for their claim that no one can think of
>a road shaped shaped like a tire, I'm
>puzzled by their failure to see that
>we ride with circular tires on a spherical
>planet and watch motorcycles whizzing around
>inside globular mesh cages at circuses on
>round tires.

Perhaps they've never thought of the obvious possibility; the cog
railway. It would not be impossible, though it *would* be absurd, to
build one with gears at all wheel locations running on toothed rails,
but every one of the wheels would need to be independent of the others
for rotational speed or it would be unable to traverse any curves in
the track.

[email protected] (Carl Fogel) wrote:

> Ted Bennett <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > http://radio.weblogs.com/0105910/2004/04/05.html
> >
> > (Yes, I know it's actually a trike.)

> Dear Ted,
>
> Since no one else has responded to your
> magnificent link, I'll step up and admit
> that I desperately want to ride this bike.
>
> I also want to know whether those square
> wheels stand on their corners or on their
> flats and whether tubulars or clinchers
> would be best kind of tires.
>
> As for their claim that no one can think of
> a road shaped shaped like a tire, I'm
> puzzled by their failure to see that
> we ride with circular tires on a spherical
> planet and watch motorcycles whizzing around
> inside globular mesh cages at circuses on
> round tires.
>
> Thanks for a wonderful link,
>
> Carl Fogel

Glad you like it, Carl. With respect to square tires, it's notoriously
difficult to inflate anything and obtain flat sides and square tires.

The best solution may be to do away with the square wheels and special
roadway, and employ a rack and pinion. There should be no more traction
problems even for the strongest of us. As long as we ride only in
straight lines, that is.

--
Ted Bennett
Portland OR

>From: Ted Bennett

>With respect to square tires, it's notoriously
>difficult to inflate anything and obtain flat sides and square tires.

Inflatable roads. Probably glued down, wouldn't you think? --Tom Paterson

Tom Paterson wrote:

>>From: Ted Bennett

>>With respect to square tires, it's notoriously
>>difficult to inflate anything and obtain flat sides and square tires.

> Inflatable roads. Probably glued down, wouldn't you think? --Tom Paterson

With brushed on glue or adhesive tape? ;)