Bicycle rules

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Claire Petersky, Apr 17, 2006.

  1. Tags:

  2. RonSonic

    RonSonic Guest

    On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 01:11:24 GMT, "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Take the quiz, see how you do (answers are good for at least Washington and
    >Oregon states)
    >
    >http://www.bicyclewatchdog.org/quiz.php

    I got 10 of 11 correct. So the test announces "You got 10 correct answers, for a
    score of: 90%." Apparently arithmetic is not part of the test.

    Ron

  3. landotter

    landotter Guest

    I missed the single file question, but doesn't that vary from state to
    state?

  4. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On 17 Apr 2006 19:15:52 -0700, "landotter" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I missed the single file question, but doesn't that vary from state to
    >state?

    All of the states I've checked allow two abreast in a lane in the
    absence of motor vehicle traffic at the very least. ISTR that some
    require single file as close to the right soulder as practical in some
    circumstances, but I have not run across that as a statewide rule
    anywhere yet.
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

  5. On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 01:11:24 +0000, Claire Petersky wrote:

    > Take the quiz, see how you do (answers are good for at least Washington and
    > Oregon states)
    >
    > http://www.bicyclewatchdog.org/quiz.php

    You got 11 correct answers, for a score of: 100%

    So, what do I win?

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | The lottery is a tax on those who fail to understand
    _`\(,_ | mathematics.
    (_)/ (_) |

  6. On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 19:15:52 -0700, landotter wrote:

    > I missed the single file question, but doesn't that vary from state to
    > state?

    It does. Here in Pennsylvania 2 abreast is OK, in New Jersey it's single
    file.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored
    _`\(,_ | by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." --Ralph Waldo
    (_)/ (_) | Emerson

  7. On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 23:53:38 -0400, David L. Johnson wrote:

    > On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 19:15:52 -0700, landotter wrote:
    >
    >> I missed the single file question, but doesn't that vary from state to
    >> state?

    > It does. Here in Pennsylvania 2 abreast is OK, in New Jersey it's single
    > file.

    I take it back. NJ does allow two-abreast as long as traffic is not
    impeded. But PA law is different:  "Persons riding pedalcycles upon a
    roadway shall not ride more than two abreast except on paths or parts of
    roadways set aside for the exclusive use of pedalcycles."

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | I believe that the motion picture is destined to revolutionize
    _`\(,_ | our educational system and that in a few years it will supplant
    (_)/ (_) | largely, if not entirely, the use of textbooks -- Thomas
    Edison, 1922

  8. landotter

    landotter Guest

    David L. Johnson wrote:
    > On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 23:53:38 -0400, David L. Johnson wrote:
    >
    > > On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 19:15:52 -0700, landotter wrote:
    > >
    > >> I missed the single file question, but doesn't that vary from state to
    > >> state?

    > > It does. Here in Pennsylvania 2 abreast is OK, in New Jersey it's single
    > > file.

    > I take it back. NJ does allow two-abreast as long as traffic is not
    > impeded.

    Ah, yes, that's the phrasing I remember. Fair enough law.

  9. Road Man

    Road Man Guest

  10. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    Werehatrack wrote:
    > On 17 Apr 2006 19:15:52 -0700, "landotter" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I missed the single file question, but doesn't that vary from state to
    >> state?

    > All of the states I've checked allow two abreast in a lane in the
    > absence of motor vehicle traffic at the very least. ISTR that some
    > require single file as close to the right soulder as practical in some
    > circumstances, but I have not run across that as a statewide rule
    > anywhere yet.

    MA.

  11. Beverly

    Beverly Guest

    Peter Cole wrote:
    > Werehatrack wrote:
    > > On 17 Apr 2006 19:15:52 -0700, "landotter" <[email protected]>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> I missed the single file question, but doesn't that vary from state to
    > >> state?

    > > All of the states I've checked allow two abreast in a lane in the
    > > absence of motor vehicle traffic at the very least. ISTR that some
    > > require single file as close to the right soulder as practical in some
    > > circumstances, but I have not run across that as a statewide rule
    > > anywhere yet.

    > MA.

    Add Hawaii, Nebraska and Virginia. Colorado & Montana under certain
    conditions.

    http://www.bikexprt.com/bicycle/sidebysid.htm

  12. mike

    mike Guest

  13. David L. Johnson wrote:
    > On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 01:11:24 +0000, Claire Petersky wrote:
    >
    > > Take the quiz, see how you do (answers are good for at least Washington and
    > > Oregon states)
    > >
    > > http://www.bicyclewatchdog.org/quiz.php

    > You got 11 correct answers, for a score of: 100%
    >
    > So, what do I win?

    Whatever it is, I get one too.

    - Frank Krygowski

  14. You got 11 correct answers, for a score of: 100%