Bicycle Saddle & Bag Cover

:
: I have the B17 Companion Special, Black, with Ti rails. It is lighter
than
: the saddle that came with my bike. My butt loves it, too.

I have the B17 honey finish. It is a continual battle as to who will win
out--the saddle or my butt. The saddle is winning. :(

Pat in TX
:
:
:

:
: I have a Brooks on my "organized ride/joy bike" and when
: I haul it some distance, I just put one of those bowl/dish
: wrap covers (sort of a circular plastic with elastic edges)
: on the seat, then wrap with large rubber bands (or old inner
: tube strips).

Hey, how about a shower cap?

Pat in TX

Mon, 20 Jun 2005 11:50:21 -0400, <[email protected]>,
"C.J.Patten" <[email protected]> wrote:

>The jelly does make the
>leather slightly more supple. Don't know if that's good or bad for a bicycle
>seat.

Generally, bad.
Too much of a good thing; and all that.

The article on Sheldon's site is addressing ways to speed the
"breaking in" process of a leather saddle. I think it shortens the
life of the saddle.

Many models of Brooks saddles are now made from thinner hide. They
break in quicker anyway.

I use Sno-Seal now and do the bottom about every two years. The top
gets done when it looks like it needs it. I was using saddle soap on
the top but it needed it more often.
--
zk

Mon, 20 Jun 2005 10:20:40 -0700,
<[email protected]>, Dane Jackson <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Throw a cheap seatpost of the same size
>in as a replacement to keep any rain out of your top tube.

Rubber stopper, cork, plastic plug or end cap = cheaper.
--
zk

Zoot Katz <[email protected]> wrote:
> Mon, 20 Jun 2005 10:20:40 -0700,
> <[email protected]>, Dane Jackson <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>Throw a cheap seatpost of the same size
>>in as a replacement to keep any rain out of your top tube.

> Rubber stopper, cork, plastic plug or end cap = cheaper.

True. Though, I have to say, it would probably be easier for
my to find a spare seatpost in my junk drawers than a rubber
stopper/cork of the right dimension. But if I were buying
one new...

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
"Listening to the voice of reason is usually a good idea.

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 11:50:44 -0400, "Roger Zoul"
<[email protected]> wrote:
>Pat Lamb <[email protected]> wrote:
>:> Finally, is all this necessary? Have you seen evidence (leather
>:> darkening) of water getting to the bottom of the saddle?
>
>I have no evidence...but I have been in hard rain storms. Are you
>suggesting I let it get all wet and then deal with the situation? Do you
>have a leather saddle and if so, how do you deal with this?

Yes, I have a B-17. If you're protecting from the top, I think you've
got the worst of the situation under control. I've occasionally got
mine caught on the back of the car in the rain, and more often got it
caught under me in the rain. :/ The worst soaking it's had yet was
when the two grocery bags tore slightly during a 5-hour trip, with
about 2 hours of rain. The bags weren't torn enough; they held the
water against the saddle for the last 2 hours home. The saddle dried
a couple of days, got another layer of Proofide and was no worse for
the wear.

It's been a couple years since the bottom got Proofide. May be time
for more. But between fenders and tool pouch, the bottom's pretty
well protected.

Pat

Email address works as is.

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 17:17:55 GMT, Neil Brooks <[email protected]>
wrote:

>You could also go by your local REI (or other camping equipment store)
>and get a low-budget stuff-sack with a wide enough opening to fit over
>your saddle. Pull that sucker down and tie the bottom closed with . .
>. anything, including a reusable zip tie.
>
>Stuff sacks: like this, but come in many, many sizes:
>http://snipurl.com/fph1
>
>Put one /over/ a standard grocery bag to ensure waterproofness....

Now, this is elegant. I've had better luck with a shower cap than a
plastic grocery sack, but I'm never quite sure the shower cap won't
rip too. But a shower cap with a tough nylon stuff sack over the top
just ain't gonna leak.

Pat

Email address works as is.

:> <[email protected]> wrote:
:> >Pat Lamb <[email protected]> wrote:
:> >:> Finally, is all this necessary? Have you seen evidence (leather
:> >:> darkening) of water getting to the bottom of the saddle?
:> >
:> >I have no evidence...but I have been in hard rain storms. Are you
:> >suggesting I let it get all wet and then deal with the situation?
:> >Do you have a leather saddle and if so, how do you deal with this?
:>
:> Yes, I have a B-17. If you're protecting from the top, I think
:> you've got the worst of the situation under control. I've
:> occasionally got mine caught on the back of the car in the rain, and
:> more often got it caught under me in the rain. :/ The worst
:> soaking it's had yet was when the two grocery bags tore slightly
:> during a 5-hour trip, with
:> about 2 hours of rain. The bags weren't torn enough; they held the
:> water against the saddle for the last 2 hours home. The saddle dried
:> a couple of days, got another layer of Proofide and was no worse for
:> the wear.

I travel on Friday and wish to ride on both Saturday and Sunday. So I
really don't want to get there and find a wet saddle. I do use two bags and
wrap them tightly, and I have the saddle cover on under those.

:>
:> It's been a couple years since the bottom got Proofide. May be time
:> for more. But between fenders and tool pouch, the bottom's pretty
:> well protected.

I guess the tool pouch does offer protection, but I like to remove it to
lessen noise on the trip.

Perhaps I'm being overly cautious, but it is a nearly $200 saddle.

Thanks for the info.

On 2005-06-19, Roger Zoul <[email protected]> wrote:
> I have a Brooks leather saddle. I also have one of those form fitting covers
> for it.
> However, I frequently travel 500 miles with my bike on weekends and it
> rains a lot. I'm fearful of the leather saddle getting wet on the bottom
> and also of water creeping in under the cover (it barely covers the saddle,
> actually).

That's what Proofhide is for:

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/British/Proofhide.htm

--