Bicycle saddle life span question.

MikeK

Dec 16, 2004
I am wondering if anyone can, within reason, how long I can expect a good quality saddle (San Marco Concor- Ti rails) to last?

Thanks Mike

MikeK said:
I am wondering if anyone can, within reason, how long I can expect a good quality saddle (San Marco Concor- Ti rails) to last?

Thanks Mike
well, how long is a rope?

MikeK said:

Thanks Mike
Basically for as long as you own your bike - I have a mid 90's Trek bike still with the original seat, it is showing a little wear, but not bad for the age of the bike. If you take reasonable care of your bike & associated equipment, barring accidents everything will last till it is time for a new one. (OK - minus tires, tubes, chains & other wearable items :) )

MikeK said:

Thanks Mike

Define long. Time or miles? With proper care I can't see wearing a hole in the leather thus making the answer indefinite.

SLS said:
Basically for as long as you own your bike - I have a mid 90's Trek bike still with the original seat, it is showing a little wear, but not bad for the age of the bike. If you take reasonable care of your bike & associated equipment, barring accidents everything will last till it is time for a new one. (OK - minus tires, tubes, chains & other wearable items :) )
Based on my limited experience, they break down with miles and age, to the point they no longer give the support you need or worse, cause numbness where you don't want it. They may still look fine, but just don't do the job anymore....kindof like running shoes.

boudreaux said:
well, how long is a rope?

A rope is 6 feet long...duh.

I have a flite on my bridgestone MB zip that's got probably 20-25k miles on it? It's been crashed and the leather stitched so many times that it ain't pretty, but it's still going strong. That said I'm sure some folks will get finicky after 10k, and some won't notice any apprieciable lack of cushioning, etc until way beyond 25k.

My pretty $200 fizik Arione has a leather cover that's paper thin and I'm careful even leaning that one against a rough wall!! ;) Damn comfy though.

My fizik Arione is only half-covered in leather after a monstrous crash I had recently. Still, it suffered less damage than my skin did. If only the saddle could heal up like me :(

RC2 said:
A rope is 6 feet long...duh.

I have a flite on my bridgestone MB zip that's got probably 20-25k miles on it? It's been crashed and the leather stitched so many times that it ain't pretty, but it's still going strong. That said I'm sure some folks will get finicky after 10k, and some won't notice any apprieciable lack of cushioning, etc until way beyond 25k.

My pretty $200 fizik Arione has a leather cover that's paper thin and I'm careful even leaning that one against a rough wall!! ;) Damn comfy though.
You silly guy. A rope is 5 letters and a space long! :D

A good leather saddle can last decades if trated well. My freind has a 65 raliegh roadie with the original brooks saddle. It is still good and I know he hasnt done that much to it.
I have worn through a leather seat once, but I was in jeans, it was unweatherproofed and it was a rain/mud epic ride. Nonetheless I still rode it for 3 yrs after that, until the ti rails cracked in a race(XC). I still ride that type(Trry librator ti) because I love it, and even the bad one lasted 10k mi. The new one has been treated since day one and has been great. If you need good advice for treating, find a shoe repair shop. A real one that deals in leather goods. They can tell you all kindsa cool stuff about it.