Bicycle Safety and Licenses

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by [email protected], Jul 14, 2005.

  1. licenses to do what? ride intelligently? and how enforce this? at what
    cost? the enforcement is death and injury at a shared cost like beach
    housing

  2. Bill Sornson

    Bill Sornson Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > licenses to do what? ride intelligently? and how enforce this? at what
    > cost? the enforcement is death and injury at a shared cost like beach
    > housing

    Time-share road rash?!? I like it!

    BS (well, OK, a little)

  3. i have an experiment for yawl
    i am asshole deep in beloew average intelligence and sometimes menatlly
    disturbed bike riders here in ride all year whoreville.
    i find that the suggestion, for example, your pants are on fire, or
    your chain needs lube, or wearing black is not inorder-
    results in an immediate and usually totally illogical,unreasoning and
    unrelated forcefull arguement from the other party.
    now how yagonna legislate this?

  4. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On 20 Jul 2005 07:59:14 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

    >i have an experiment for yawl
    >i am asshole deep in beloew average intelligence and sometimes menatlly
    >disturbed bike riders here in ride all year whoreville.
    >i find that the suggestion, for example, your pants are on fire, or
    >your chain needs lube, or wearing black is not inorder-
    >results in an immediate and usually totally illogical,unreasoning and
    >unrelated forcefull arguement from the other party.
    >now how yagonna legislate this?

    The First Amendment has recently been reinterpreted by the masses as
    meaning "*My* assholism is Protected Free Speech, *yours* isn't."
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

  5. On 15 Jul 2005 13:20:50 -0700, "Chip C" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hmmm. Is the line in the sand more defensibly drawn at "operating a
    >powered vehicle" or "operating a machine of any type"? I'd never
    >propose requiring a license to pedestrianize your way about town, but
    >is a bike not more like a car than a pair of feet? Is the presence of a
    >motor the big deal, or the quantitative ability to cause damage and
    >injuries to others?

    And a bike going at 30 kph crashing into a pedestrian -- not wearing a
    helmet after all -- can easily kill, because HELMETLESS RIDING IS SUICIDE!

    >What about licensing not riders but bikes and making them carry actual
    >legible number plates, a la Kronans perhaps, so a complainant could at
    >least hope to identify the miscreants among us? Unsecurability of the
    >number plates would probably kibosh that. Odd there aren't more stolen
    >car license plates, really.

    Main reason car license plates aren't stolen is that you have a fair
    chance of getting spotted during regular traffic control, and the
    penalties are pretty high. One thing though: a major part of car license
    plate rules isn't so much about tracking offenders, but about tracking car
    theft. From the T-ford onwards, a car was likely to be the most valuable
    piece of moveable property people were likely to own. As of the T-ford, it
    became cheaper then a horse -- but there's a reason horse thieves
    generally get hanged. Modern car license plate schemes became universal
    post WWII, and by that time, a car was definitely the most expensive piece
    of kit the urban man could be expected to own. It's also extremely mobile,
    despite being very large -- a Steinway concert piano might cost nearly the
    same as a small car, but it's a lot harder to steal. In fact, in one of
    the burglaries at my parent's house whil I was growing up, our TV and VCR
    were loaded into the back of our own car. That smarts.

    >PS What's up with Kronan number plates, anyway? Are they actual valid
    >license numbers, anywhere?

    No. It's pure marketing. Of course, a Kronan without plates stands out,
    and one with a plate number that's registered with the police and on one
    website or another as being stolen might have a slightly higher chance of
    getting back to you than a bike with a frame number in inaccessible places
    registered as such.

    Jasper

  6. On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 16:03:59 -0400, Sheldon Brown
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >A universal dusk to dawn curfew enforced by martial law would greatly
    >reduce many sorts of crime.
    >
    >However there are limits to what a free society is prepared to sacrifice ...

    It's good that the US isn't a free society, then. Many cities enforce
    curfews for all minors, for example.

    Jasper

  7. On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 20:55:24 -0400, "Doug Huffman"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Y'all didn't see or contradict the eager subjects earlier? Or are they
    >merely junior tyrants that want to decide what a reasonable regulation is.
    >Too bad all Rights aren't so clearly enumerated as the Second.

    |A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
    |the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

    Yeah.. crystalclear. But only if you're illiterate.

    Jasper

    Jasper Janssen wrote:

    > It's good that the US isn't a free society, then. Many cities enforce
    > curfews for all minors, for example.

    Dusk to dawn? I don't think so. My home town had a 9 pm curfew for
    minors, signalled by 5 minutes of tolling the bell at Abbott Hall...

    I don't know of any society that grants minors the same rights as adults.

    Sheldon "Reductio Ad Absurdum" Brown
    | One man's theology is another man's belly laugh. |
    | --Robert A. Heinlein |
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide