Bicycle Safety

Sunflogun

Apr 20, 2015
Just bumped into this interesting campaign relating road safety. I do agree with everything it says because we are a vehicle when we are at the road and we need to respect the rules, as well as being respected.

BkpsClVCcAAzT_K.jpg

Nice. Now let's see if it's enforced. Maybe the Brits take this more seriously than cops here in the States. Some places have 3' passing laws but they are almost never enforced.

You know, when you start a ride with 5 O'clock shadow to a full beard and end it with a clean-shaven left side of your face, you realize the crazy drivers get awfully damned close with those mirrors.

You know, when you start a ride with 5 O'clock shadow to a full beard and end it with a clean-shaven left side of your face, you realize the crazy drivers get awfully damned close with those mirrors.

It's a really big campaign, but yeah, let's see if it's enforced. Either cases, just the fact that they put it in outdoors it does create awareness and drivers might start to be more careful.

I think this is a missing component of Bicicle Safety and that is Educational campaigns for drivers and riders. I mean most drivers haven't taken driver's education since they were 15... and most cyclists have never taken a bike version or read the local laws either. Laws have changed over time.

In the US, I strongly recommend the book: Bicycling & the Law: Your Rights as a Cyclist.
Very well written; good to have on your bookshelf.

I find the best dose of cycling safety is Good Predictable Riding.

They can make all the laws they want but they are largely unenforceable and really only are of any use if you are struck and you seek damages. Otherwise they have little chance of being followed (by both cyclists and drivers) or enforced.

The more laws, the more angry motorists are going to be that they have to give consideration to cyclists.

Ride predictably and at least drivers will know where they can be to not hit you. I've had very few issues with drivers over the last few years. Most of the riders in the area show respect, as do a bulk of the drivers. Which is good.

Reactions: NJAgent020
ABNPFDR said:
I find the best dose of cycling safety is Good Predictable Riding.

They can make all the laws they want but they are largely unenforceable and really only are of any use if you are struck and you seek damages. Otherwise they have little chance of being followed (by both cyclists and drivers) or enforced.

The more laws, the more angry motorists are going to be that they have to give consideration to cyclists.

Ride predictably and at least drivers will know where they can be to not hit you. I've had very few issues with drivers over the last few years. Most of the riders in the area show respect, as do a bulk of the drivers. Which is good.
+1

This is age discrimination, how come seniors get a wider passing distance?

J.k. this seems hardly enforceable. Though I rarely ride where the posted speed limit is above 55mph. The few places I do ride with higher speeds have very wide shoulders.

Who needs safety? I am gonna eat a gallon of Blue Bell ice cream and take a long ride on my Trek bike on a bumpy road.

Respect is nice and essential, and in theory there is plenty of respect for bike riders on the road. But when it comes down to basics and everyday reality on the road, it often looks quite different. Every car driver who respects bike riders and actually keeps the recommended distance, deserves a medal from me. I don't encounter them too often where I live. But when I do, I always wave at them and thank them for their kind consideration.

jhuskey said:
Who needs safety? I am gonna eat a gallon of Blue Bell ice cream and take a long ride on my Trek bike on a bumpy road.
Another reason why I shake my head and wonder, disc brakes???? Why????

My city recently passed the three foot passing rule, though I haven't heard much on whether it's enforced or not. I give everyone a few feet of leeway while I'm driving passed them because it seems like the decent thing to do. It's not that hard to move a car a couple more inches away from a cyclist to avoid causing them any trouble.

I was once riding my bike coming close to a stop light, the cars were all closed and one of them opened the door, so that just shows that there isn't much awareness of bikers, the guy didn't even looked in the mirror.

I wonder how they are going to enforce it? Are they going to have a meter stick ready and checking constantly? I doubt they will pull anyone over for getting a meter close to a cyclist.

All road users have the right to use the road. By keeping ourselves safe we also keep them safe. Our bikes must be of good condition and road worthy.we must remember to wear reflective clothing when dark or fog.