Bicycle seat on a uni

AscenXion

Guest
I tried searching, but couldn't find anything.

I'm sure someone out there has done it, so...Anyone have any input of
riding a uni with a standard bicycle seat attached? I've read various
threads on why the unicycle seat is shaped the way it is, turning and
what not. But I'm not convinced, I think a bike seat would work fine
for normal riding.

So, anybody have any experience?

--
AscenXion
AscenXion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12303

I think for distance a flatter seat is a good thing. Especially with GB4
type handles that will keep you from coming off the front. I think
Scott Wallis is onto something that's getting pretty close to a great
distance seat. I haven't tried one yet. Does anyone who has have any
reviews?

|Filename: SlotSeatCollage_sml.jpg |

pdc

"What doesn't kill you strengthens you, what kills you strengthens your
mother"
pdc's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8160

There has been plenty of experience with bike seats on unicycles,
starting from the 1870s and mostly ending when decent, proper unicycle
seats came along. My Langenberg "indoor" 26" unicycle (for artistic
bike-style riding) came with a high-end Ideale leather bike saddle from
France. OWWW! And the thought of walking the wheel with such a seat was
enough to make me cringe. I eventually sold the seat to someone who was
into road biking and could appreciate it.

Unicycle seats are made for unicycling and, in general, are much better
suited to the task. The main reason why unicycle seats are less
comfortable than bike seats are the pelvic angle you have on a
unicycle, and the fact that most (or all) of your weight is on the
seat. I think that, even with the larger resources of the bicycle
market working on the problem (which it mostly never does), finding an
ideal solution will not be easy. The KH/Velo saddle is probably the
best thing to ever happen in the world of unicycle seats. Not just the
initial comfort, but the steady pace of improvements Kris and Velo have
made since introducing it.

But I have seen some bicycle seats working well on unicycles. The best
examples I can think of are when you have a good handlebar setup on a
road uni. If you can get some of your weight off the seat, along with a
more forward-leaning position like you would have on a bike, a bike
seat makes a ton more sense. Someday I may have such a setup on my
Coker...

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"The worst thing you can do on a unicycle when you land is stop dead."
-- Kris Holm, world's expert on high-consequence unicycling

pdc wrote:
> I think for distance a flatter seat is a good thing. Especially with GB4
> type handles that will keep you from coming off the front. I think
> Scott Wallis is onto something that's getting pretty close to a great
> distance seat. I haven't tried one yet. Does anyone who has have any
> reviews?

Yeah, that pretty much looks like a bike seat. I was just curious
really. Kinda thinking about maybe fabbing something up, and wanted to
know experiences first.

Thankx

--

pdc wrote:
> I think for distance a flatter seat is a good thing. Especially with GB4
> type handles that will keep you from coming off the front. I think
> Scott Wallis is onto something that's getting pretty close to a great
> distance seat. I haven't tried one yet. Does anyone who has have any
> reviews?

I'd love to buy one, but Scott didn't seem too interested in selling
them.:( Not sure if he is selling them now, because I haven't tried
to get back in touch after our initial volley of e-mails. When we were
e-mailing it seemed like he was months away from having a product to
sell. So he may have them now.

--
bugman

*-NAUCC 2006 -*

When I built my giraffe, I didn't have a uni seat handy so I used a
banana seat from an old schwinn, that was a very bad idea, I fell six
feet very fast and promptly scrapped an old uni for it's seat. My
experiences with bike seats on unis has not been very good, but that
may just be because it was on a giraffe...

--
smcmorrow

\"It's knot gonna make it!\" -snuffiluffigus
smcmorrow's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10881

smcmorrow wrote:
> When I built my giraffe, I didn't have a uni seat handy so I used a
> banana seat from an old schwinn, that was a very bad idea, I fell six
> feet very fast and promptly scrapped an old uni for it's seat. My
> experiences with bike seats on unis has not been very good, but that
> may just be because it was on a giraffe...

Actually, I think it a very good practice to try something new and
unproven on the biggest and potentially dangerousEST of apparati.

AscenXion
AscenXion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12303

My vintage 1959 uni has a proper leather bicycle seat and is virtually
unrideable. The triangular shape of a pike seat pushes you forwards
and you constantly feel like you're going to slip off the front. Also,
you need a handle or front bumper on a seat to ride on anything
approaching difficult terrain.

Of all my seats, I still find the basic Miyata most comfortable,
because it's narrow. What you wear and how you sit make as much
difference as the seat.

I get discomfort after 5 - 10 miles riding on the flat without a break.
That seems reasonable to me, given that unicycling is inherently
impractical and that is part of its charm.

--
Mikefule

"No one likes circus skills, juggling is dire, and clowns are on
registers at most police stations."
(The late and sadly-missed Linda Smith)

bugman wrote:
> I'd love to buy one, but Scott didn't seem too interested in selling
> them.:( Not sure if he is selling them now, because I haven't tried
> to get back in touch after our initial volley of e-mails. When we were
> e-mailing it seemed like he was months away from having a product to
> sell. So he may have them now.

I'm pretty sure he has them available now. But ouch the $$

ps - I'm not saying they're not worth it!

--

pdc wrote:
> I'm pretty sure he has them available now. But ouch the $$
>
> ps - I'm not saying they're not worth it!

At the time, money wasn't an issue. Timing is everything. If he has
any at NAUCC, I may be comming home with a new saddle for my Coker.
I'll have to be sure to carry some extra cash. I hate the idea of
telling my wife I paid $400+ for a unicycle seat.:D But seriously
isn't your a$$ worth it.

--
bugman

*-NAUCC 2006 -*

bugman wrote:
> At the time, money wasn't an issue. Timing is everything. If he has
> any at NAUCC, I may be comming home with a new saddle for my Coker.
> I'll have to be sure to carry some extra cash. I hate the idea of
> telling my wife I paid $400+ for a unicycle seat.:D But seriously
> isn't your a$$ worth it.

Yes it is. But I want to hear a few rave reviews before I shell out for
one.

--
pdc

"What doesn't kill you strengthens you, what kills you strengthens your
mother"
pdc's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8160

I remeber seeing a 12" uni here that was tiny( the size of a bottle of
beer) and had I bike seat cant remember who posted it

--
dan de man

dan de man's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11403

AscenXion wrote:
> I tried searching, but couldn't find anything.
>
> I'm sure someone out there has done it, so...Anyone have any input of
> riding a uni with a standard bicycle seat attached? I've read various
> threads on why the unicycle seat is shaped the way it is, turning and
> what not. But I'm not convinced, I think a bike seat would work fine
> for normal riding.
>
> So, anybody have any experience?

if you've got a seat lying around, why not just try it? often the best
way to do things is to try them yourself - I agree with all the advice
here, but trying your own ideas out could lead to something good... (or
a total flop, but you'll learn from it!)

edit - I met a very nice gentleman in his early 60's at CFM, riding a
1960's unicycle with a 1960's leather saddle. I wouldn't have called it
comfy, but he had no problems doing the 10K on it.

--
mikepenton

Uni - The Unicycle Magazine
'www.unicyclemagazine.com' (http://www.unicyclemagazine.com)