Bicycle Security in UK

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Help, Aug 17, 2003.

  1. Help

    Help Guest

    I note that in the UK, there are various schemes
    - Postcode marking by Police for free
    - National Cycle Register, registration + sticker for GBP5 ish -Bike Register --GBP 5.95
    Registration + Log Book --GBP9.75 Police approved marking + Log Book --GBP17.5 Police approved
    marking, log book + electronic tag -DataTag, Electronic Tag, registration etc. GBP19.99

    My concern with the free postcode marking is that I might get into trouble
    (e.g. no one want to buy it) if I decide to sell it on. Is this so? How could postcode marked cycle
    be conveniently sold (to dealers, etc.)?

    National Cycle Register solves this problem, and seems cheaper to the GBP5.95 option from bike
    register. Is that enough to deter theives?

    If I want to go for electronic tagging, Bike Register's GBP17.50 seems the cheapest option, just
    wondering whether it's worth it for a GBP300 Trek bike, considering that a thief could easily steel
    non-identifyable parts from my bike that is not marked (e.g. wheels+seat+lights if forgotten to lock
    them or take them out, derailleur, brakes or even the fork??(when I lock the front wheel, is the
    fork really locked??))??

    Tags:

  2. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    help wrote:
    > I note that in the UK, there are various schemes
    > - Postcode marking by Police for free
    > - National Cycle Register, registration + sticker for GBP5 ish -Bike Register --GBP 5.95
    > Registration + Log Book --GBP9.75 Police approved marking + Log Book --GBP17.5 Police approved
    > marking, log book + electronic tag -DataTag, Electronic Tag, registration etc. GBP19.99
    >
    > My concern with the free postcode marking is that I might get into trouble
    > (e.g. no one want to buy it) if I decide to sell it on. Is this so? How could postcode marked
    > cycle be conveniently sold (to dealers, etc.)?

    Well, the thing is, if it was stolen and recovered, it would come to you and you could point the
    police in the direction of the new owner.

    > National Cycle Register solves this problem, and seems cheaper to the GBP5.95 option from bike
    > register. Is that enough to deter theives?

    Not much is going to stop a determined thief...

    > If I want to go for electronic tagging, Bike Register's GBP17.50 seems the cheapest option, just
    > wondering whether it's worth it for a GBP300 Trek bike,

    That's up to you. You need to read up on the various policies. Datatagging has a good base as it
    comes from the motorcycle world. Police will be aware of the system.

    Bear in mind though, that only a small percentage of the bikes stolen each year are ever recovered
    and any of these schemes will only work if the police have the bike in their hands. Then, you have
    to hope that the police will actually check for something like the post code stamp. A sticker on the
    top tube will help.

    considering that a thief could easily steel non-identifyable parts
    > from my bike that is not marked (e.g. wheels+seat+lights if forgotten to lock them or take them
    > out, derailleur, brakes or even the fork??(when I lock the front wheel, is the fork really
    > locked??))??

    If you lock the front wheel only, then you're asking for your bike to be nicked. It's easy to flip
    the quick release and walk away with the rest of the bike, leaving the front wheel still chained to
    the fence / post.

    Some bits of advice.
    1. When you leave your bike, secure it. This means getting a decent lock, removing your front wheel
    and locking it to the rest of the bike. You want the lock to go through the frame and both
    wheels. Make sure it's locked to an immovable object and that that object has a 'top' that stops
    the bike being lifted over the top.
    2. If you're using a U lock, fill as much of it as possible. You don't want thieves to be able to
    get leverage.
    3. Leave your bike near more expensive models or less secured bikes - thieves will have a go at
    those first.
    4. Get it insured. Normally, you can just add it to your home contents insurance. It works out much
    more expensive if you get a single bike policy.

  3. Bloocow

    Bloocow Guest

    "help" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I note that in the UK, there are various schemes
    > - Postcode marking by Police for free
    > - National Cycle Register, registration + sticker for GBP5 ish -Bike Register --GBP 5.95
    > Registration + Log Book --GBP9.75 Police approved marking + Log Book --GBP17.5 Police approved
    > marking, log book + electronic tag -DataTag, Electronic Tag, registration etc. GBP19.99

    The gist of your problem has been discussed many times on uk.rec.cycling. You would find more info
    if you googled there.

    bloocow

  4. Mark \

    Mark \ Guest

    "help" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > from my bike that is not marked (e.g. wheels+seat+lights if forgotten to lock them or take them
    > out, derailleur, brakes or even the fork??(when I lock the front wheel, is the fork really
    > locked??))??

    No it's not. Locking the frame and wheels to something does not stop a thief with a 5mm allen key
    walking off with your forks. If you buy a long steel cable to supplement your U lock you can pass
    this through the space over the arch if its a sprung fork and lock the cable ends with the u lock,
    giving a better degree of protection for forks.

    The best way of not getting an expensive bike stolen is to avoid leaving it places. Many people
    here, myself included, use a cheap/old/'spare parts' bike for riding to town/station/campus etc
    and leave the valuable machine safe at home, for use on recreational/sport rides when locking
    isn't an issue.

    Cheers Mark

  5. Mark (UK) wrote:
    > "help" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >

    >>from my bike that is not marked (e.g. wheels+seat+lights if forgotten to lock them or take them
    >>out, derailleur, brakes or even the fork??(when I lock the front wheel, is the fork really
    >>locked??))??
    >>

    > No it's not. Locking the frame and wheels to something does not stop a thief with a 5mm allen key
    > walking off with your forks.

    Exactly - and we don't even wanna start on how fast a shock can be taken of a bike!

    > The best way of not getting an expensive bike stolen is to avoid leaving it places. Many people
    > here, myself included, use a cheap/old/'spare parts' bike for riding to town/station/campus etc
    > and leave the valuable machine safe at home, for use on recreational/sport rides when locking
    > isn't an issue.

    I totally agree which is why I have 4+ bikes. My FS MTB and my 8.5 kg road bike doesn't have locks
    and are kept in my apartment when not ridden, and then two not very looking bikes that are still
    pretty sweet except for the looks (A 11-tube Columbus frame old style 14 speed and a banged up
    single speed Chameleon with full fenders for bad weather all year).

    Not having locks on the sweet rides also makes them even sweeter - just imaginge a big lock on a
    8.5 kg bike.

    Regards

    Bruno