Bicycle security

kurtaboy

Sep 29, 2004
i recently returned from a meeting only to find that a fine thief had ripped off my handlebars, stem (and everything attached). my bike locks worked just fine (i have 2 - a kryptonite, and a cheap cable lock) but i never even remotely considered that someone would steal my handlebars. while this is not only a great inconvenience, expense, and all of the above, i'm wondering what else i can do to secure my bike? any suggestions? would it be better to just get a cheap bike to boot around town with? and relegate the bike i like to ride (cannondale T800) to the storage locker? thanks in advance to any replies.

kurtaboy said:
i recently returned from a meeting only to find that a fine thief had ripped off my handlebars, stem (and everything attached). my bike locks worked just fine (i have 2 - a kryptonite, and a cheap cable lock) but i never even remotely considered that someone would steal my handlebars. while this is not only a great inconvenience, expense, and all of the above, i'm wondering what else i can do to secure my bike? any suggestions? would it be better to just get a cheap bike to boot around town with? and relegate the bike i like to ride (cannondale T800) to the storage locker? thanks in advance to any replies.
The problem of having parts taken off of bikes seems to be based on where you live. New York City, and many large colleges in the US are famous for how quickly parts can get stolen. In other towns, crooks want the whole bike, or leave it alone.

Two things you can do:

-Try to park in a well lighted area that has a lot of foot traffic. At the movie theatre, park next to the box office, not in the alley behind the theater. If the manager doesn't want your bike in front of the theatre, ask if you can lock it inside the theatre, in an office or storeroom. If your bike is not welcome, take your business elsewhere.

-Buy an older bike at a garage sale that has a good quality frame and wheels, but shows wear and tear and age. Have a mechanic put it into top running condition. A crook might want the "lastest" STI shifters, but will be far less interested in a set of 1983 six speed friction shifters. Just cover up the "Reynolds 531DB" decals with a decal for your favorite band.

It is just like anything else that is left unattended -- there is nothing you can do that is guaranteed stop theft.

If you want a decent ride and want to know it won't get stolen, I would look into folding bikes. You can fold them up, put 'em in a case or bag (if you like) and take it just about anywhere you go.

A old beater bike is another option, but then again, if someone else want it...

thanks for your responses. i usually do park my bike in high traffic spots (as much as i can) and try to find well lit locations. i use 2 locks. i just never thought (perhaps naively) that someone would remove my stem/handlebars/shifters. but i guess that's life in a big city (toronto). i just got my bike back today from my LBS, and am now debating as to whether to continue to use it for commuting around town (along with perhaps filling in the allen key bolt hole (is the right term?) with some type of compound to slow down other potential 'stem' thieves) or to just buy a cheap bike. i'm not sure what else to do - maybe spray paint over the 'cannondale' name?

you might be right. for now, i'm going to settle for painting over the 'cannondale' and '105' names, and filling in the allen key slot (for the stem) with some type of compound. if that doesn't work, then i might have to go with the welding idea!

kurtaboy said:
you might be right. for now, i'm going to settle for painting over the 'cannondale' and '105' names, and filling in the allen key slot (for the stem) with some type of compound. if that doesn't work, then i might have to go with the welding idea!
Sounds like a plan. I hope it works out. Good luck.