bicycle shipping containers and UPS

Jeff Enderwick

Guest
Anyone know whether UPS accepts the Performance bicycle shipping container?

Does anyone have this container and an opinion?

thanks,

Jeff

> Anyone know whether UPS accepts the Performance bicycle shipping container?

Jeff: Go to the UPS website, and in the "shipping" section, set up a shipment using the dimensions
of the case and see what it says. Chances are they'll take it, but be forewarned, UPS is charging up
the wazoo for "oversize" shipments. Revenue enhancement at the expense of cyclists!

"Jeff Enderwick" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Anyone know whether UPS accepts the Performance bicycle shipping container?
>
> Does anyone have this container and an opinion?
>
> thanks,
>
> Jeff

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 23:36:29 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction
Bicycles" <[email protected]> may have said:

>> Anyone know whether UPS accepts the Performance bicycle shipping container?
>
>Jeff: Go to the UPS website, and in the "shipping" section, set up a shipment using the dimensions
>of the case and see what it says. Chances are they'll take it, but be forewarned, UPS is charging
>up the wazoo for "oversize" shipments. Revenue enhancement at the expense of cyclists!

Comparison shop FedEx Home Delivery (if it's going to a residential address) or FedEx Ground as
well, at www.fedex.com; the rates are often better, and the service is usually as good in my
experience. You may have problems shipping via FedEx Ground in some states, so it's best to
check with them by phone for details before relying on that quote. (I use them quite a bit, with
nary a hiccup.)

Jeff Enderwick <[email protected]> wrote:
> Anyone know whether UPS accepts the Performance bicycle shipping container?
>
> Does anyone have this container and an opinion?
>
> thanks,
>
> Jeff

Not sure how big the container is and I'm too lazy to look it up. I snagged a carboard bicycle
shipping container last fall from my LBS to ship my bike to Moab from VA. Cost me about $40 via
FEDEX ground on the way out and about $45 via UPS coming back (no FEDEX ground pickup in Moab so I
used UPS). The overall dimensions actually determined the price rather than the actual weight due to
oversize nature of the package. Pack well and it's painless.

Tom

"tcmedara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Jeff Enderwick <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Anyone know whether UPS accepts the Performance bicycle shipping container?
> >
> > Does anyone have this container and an opinion?
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > Jeff
>
> Not sure how big the container is and I'm too lazy to look it up. I
snagged
> a carboard bicycle shipping container last fall from my LBS to ship my
bike
> to Moab from VA. Cost me about $40 via FEDEX ground on the way out and about $45 via UPS coming
> back (no FEDEX ground pickup in Moab so I used UPS). The overall dimensions actually determined
> the price rather than the actual weight due to oversize nature of the package. Pack well and
it's
> painless.
>
> Tom

Also be aware of the fact that the 'mailbox' type stores will charge more, sometimes significantly,
than UPS or FedEx will when you deal with them directly. The least expensive way is to take it to a
UPS or FedEx location. If you have to use a 'mailbox' store, ask them what their upcharge is. It can
be as little as 10% or as high as 40%.

The container that you are looking at, and others like it such as the Trico IronCase, would cost
about $35.00 to ship from coast-to-coast.

"Jeff Enderwick" <[email protected]> wrote in message ...
> Anyone know whether UPS accepts the Performance bicycle shipping container?
>
> Does anyone have this container and an opinion?

Note also that UPS and FedEx will insure the CONTENTS, but not the actual container.

If you use a hard case, best pack in cardboard, this way the hard case becomes part of the contents
and is insurable for damage.

A buddy kept the cardboard case that Performance used as the original shipping container. It's been
kept alive through multiple shipments with duct tape.

SB

RE/
>Also be aware of the fact that the 'mailbox' type stores will charge more, sometimes significantly,
>than UPS or FedEx will when you deal with them directly. The least expensive way is to take it to a
>UPS or FedEx location. If you have to use a 'mailbox' store, ask them what their upcharge is. It
>can be as little as 10% or as high as 40%.

Based on my single experience, "Significantly" may be being too kind....I'll never do it again.
--
PeteCresswell

Dave Thompson <[email protected]> wrote:

> Also be aware of the fact that the 'mailbox' type stores will charge more, sometimes
> significantly, than UPS or FedEx will when you deal with them directly. The least expensive way is
> to take it to a UPS or FedEx location. If you have to use a 'mailbox' store, ask them what their
> upcharge is. It can be as little as 10% or as high as 40%.
>
> The container that you are looking at, and others like it such as the Trico IronCase, would cost
> about $35.00 to ship from coast-to-coast.

Yeah, good call. The prices I quoted were for drop-off at the respective FEDEX and UPS facilities,
not an affiliated franchise, and included a good bit of insurance....after all, it was my bike.

Tom

Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles wrote:

>> Anyone know whether UPS accepts the Performance bicycle shipping container?
>
> Jeff: Go to the UPS website, and in the "shipping" section, set up a shipment using the dimensions
> of the case and see what it says. Chances are they'll take it, but be forewarned, UPS is charging
> up the wazoo for "oversize" shipments. Revenue enhancement at the expense of cyclists!

FWIW, I've found Fedex Ground to be much cheaper than UPS for shipping bikes.

Matt O.

"Steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Note also that UPS and FedEx will insure the CONTENTS, but not the actual container.
>
> If you use a hard case, best pack in cardboard, this way the hard case becomes part of the
> contents and is insurable for damage.
>
> A buddy kept the cardboard case that Performance used as the original shipping container. It's
> been kept alive through multiple shipments with duct tape.

I shipped a bike awhile back via UPS and they would not insure it because both wheels were inside
the box and they didn't consider that a safe way to package it. I've shipped lots of bike through
them in the past and had never heard this before.

Jim Johnson

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> matt-<< FWIW, I've found Fedex Ground to be much cheaper than UPS for shipping bikes. >><BR><BR>
>
> Concur, something on the order of 1/2 the price of UPS. Soon, maybe now, you can take it to a
> Kinkos for pickup, as FedEx just bought all of them to compete with UPS' store fronts that used to
> MailBoxes etc or something.

Even easier -- you can sign up for a Fedex account over the web, print out your own labels, and call
for a pickup at your house. If there's a premium for this, it's really small, IIRC.

Besides the cost, the biggest problem with UPS is dealing with them when something goes wrong. If
you're a business and they don't want to lose your account, they'll probably try to make you happy.
But to Joe Consumer they're absolute goons.

Matt O.

news:p[email protected]...

> Besides the cost, the biggest problem with UPS is dealing with them when something goes wrong. If
> you're a business and they don't want to lose
your
> account, they'll probably try to make you happy. But to Joe Consumer
they're
> absolute goons.
>
> Matt O.

Couldn't agree more! FedEx Ground/Home Delivery provides better service at a similar (or slightly
lower) price. Cross country, FedEx Ground beats UPS by 1 or 2 days as well. They always meet or
exceed expectations where UPS barely meets theirs. Packages are handled with more care too.

Once took somethng to UPS to ship, and they refused it saying it wasn't packaged well enough
for their standards. Took the same package to FedEx, and they complimented me on how well it
was packaged.

"Jeff Enderwick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Anyone know whether UPS accepts the Performance bicycle shipping container?
>
> Does anyone have this container and an opinion?
>
> thanks,
>
> Jeff

To answer the question, I have two Performance containers and have shipped bikes by UPS Ground at
least a dozen times. UPS has always accepted them without any problems and they have always been
delivered on time. They are not treated as oversized. The boxes have received some scuffs and one
has a bent clasp but they are holding up well. I used to lock the boxes with a set of four padlocks
for each box but they tended to get in the way (the box will not wheel through a standard-width door
with the padlocks in place) and my guess is they provide little deterrent to a thief, so I don't use
them anymore. One minor problem I've had is finding a good sticky label I can attach with address
information. Many do not seem to stick very well to the plastic surface of the box. This is not an
issue for shipping with UPS, however, becasue the the transit labels they use seem to stay stuck on.

Mike Tordoff Philadelphia

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 18:10:32 GMT, "rosco"
<reverse-the-following"ocsor_g"@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Packages are handled with more care too.

Many FedEx ground routes are franchises. AFAIK, many are former RPS routes, trucks and
drivers. Having the "owner of the business" carry your package may help the last mile handling
of your packages.

In some areas, FedEx is using the USPS to deliver the last mile, which may or may not help the
package's condition. <G>

Barry

> Anyone know whether UPS accepts the Performance bicycle shipping container?
>
> Does anyone have this container and an opinion?

Yes, we have two and have been very happy with them. Our almost-ten-year-old models use straps and
foam to keep everything secure. Can't guarantee that they are still setup in this manner, tho. The
latches work well, IMO.

Dave

RE/
>FWIW, I've found Fedex Ground to be much cheaper than UPS for shipping bikes.

Has anybody figured out the crossover point between a single oversized carton and two non-
oversize cartons?
--
PeteCresswell

Originally posted by x
RE/
>FWIW, I've found Fedex Ground to be much cheaper than UPS for shipping bikes.

Has anybody figured out the crossover point between a single oversized carton and two non-
oversize cartons?
--
PeteCresswell

You could get a big cardboard bike box from a bike shop. They're usually happy to give them away for free. Then, just cut it down to roughly the dimensions of the frame you are using. It'll take lots of tape or staples to try to customize the size of your own box. But, its a good way to save money. Its the size and weight that matter and the smaller the better costwise.