Bicycle shopping question

snoopy2345

Dec 1, 2006
Hello,

I'm 39 and I live in Arizona.

I'm shopping around for a new bicycle now and I'm not having much luck finding a bike
that has all the features I want.

The things I want are:

1. Straight handlebars
2. A bike weight of about 20-25 lbs.
3. A large seat, not the pointed road bike type.
4. Some sort of shock absorber for the front and back wheels
5. A frame color I like
6. (optional) gear-changer dials, the ones that encircle the
handlebars.

I want the new bike mostly for paved roads, although there are still a lot of bumps on
the "paved roads" here.

I've been to 7 bike shops and haven't found any bikes that have all these features.

Would you have any ideas about how I could find a bike with the things I want?

Thank you,

John

IMHO, you have two choices, a mountain bike or a hybrid. Full suspension seems a little much for casual riding, but to each their own. Most of both categories will have some sort of front suspension, some will have a dampened seat post (absorbs bumps), and a few will have full suspension.

What size do you need? Fit is very important, how tall are you? Weight?

I suspect that a hybrid might be your best bet, look for names like Specialized, Felt, Trek, etc.:)

snoopy2345 said:
Hello,

I'm shopping around for a new bicycle now and I'm not having much luck finding a bike

The things I want are:

1. Straight handlebars
5. A frame color I like
handlebars.

I want the new bike mostly for paved roads, although there are still a lot of bumps on
the "paved roads" here.

I've been to 7 bike shops and haven't found any bikes that have all these features.

Would you have any ideas about how I could find a bike with the things I want?

Thank you,

John
No offense, but your parameters, particularly the bike's weight, are not realistic unless you were planning on spending about $4000US for a racing/custom MTB.

I suspect you are telling the salesperson that you have a budget of what? -- Sub-$1000?

Change your parameters OR be prepared to open your wallet.

snoopy2345 said:
Hello,

The things I want are:

1. Straight handlebars
5. A frame color I like
handlebars.

John
i haven't seen a stock bike like that. if you eliminate your rear shock requirement and replace it with a saddle post suspension, you'll find a handfull of comfort bikes that fit the bill. although, they might be on the heavier side. some hybrids might be lighter (like the trek 7300). i wouldn't worry about the standard saddle. any decent lbs will swap it out for what you want.

if you explain why you want the options you want, maybe some people could suggest alternatives. that could open up your selection of bikes.

for example, if you want a wide saddle because you'll be riding upright with most of your weight on your sit-bones, then you're going to need to look at comfort bikes. most have adjustable stems to accomodate an upright riding position. many hybrids are essentially flat bar road bikes. a really wide saddle will probably be less comfortable than a narrower saddle on those bikes. the more you lean forward, the more the saddle can "pinch" your nerves and you won't be able to ride more than an hour without numbness and pain (speaking from experience).