BICYCLE SIZE QUESTON

Prust

May 12, 2011
[SIZE=11.0pt]I currently ride a Trek 3700 Hardtail, it’s a great bike and suits most of my needs, but I also am looking to stretch out my rides. I only ride 50 to 80 miles a week , but I want to stretch out my rides and I am looking to purchase my first road bike (in June or July), Money is very tight for me (my kids needs come before my own ) so I am looking at used bikes in the 450 -550 dollar range. My dilemma is that I am only 5’ 5” and have a 27 ½ inch inseam. My current bike is 46cm, and my crotch barely clears the cross bar. I can’t find any mens bikes in this size, without going down to 24 inch wheel base. I could probably move up 48cm or even uncomfortably to 50cm, but I can go any bigger. My question is, what is the difference b/t a men’s and women’s road bike. Looking at pictures of them, most of them appear to look the same. And I am finding women’s bikes that meet my size requirements. What would be the difference (for example) a men’s and women’s Trek 1.2 or Giant Defy3? Is it acceptable for man to ride a woman’s bike? [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 11pt]Thanks[/SIZE]

My opinion is yes. The geometry is different to some extent on some women specific frames but lets get real. Are all women designed the same? Of course not so bike frames have to be designed with some universal fit aspects within sizing ranges of course.
I would pick a neutral color.

Thank you. I was thinking along the same lines but wanted to check with those who would know better than I would. If I go this route, neutral color would be a must. :)