Bicycle storage

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Nessa, Apr 26, 2004.

  1. Nessa

    Nessa Guest

    My husband just got a new road bicycle so we now have 3
    bikes in our garage and it is fast becoming a hazardous
    place for our kids. Anyone have any recommendation for bike
    storage racks the you can raise to the ceiling or other
    space efficient ways of storing your bikes. My bike is
    pretty heavy so I can't see myself lifting it very high but
    I am sure there must be some good products out there to help
    with this.

    thanks

    Tags:

  2. "Nessa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My husband just got a new road bicycle so we now have 3
    > bikes in our garage and it is fast becoming a hazardous
    > place for our kids. Anyone have any recommendation for
    > bike storage racks the you can raise to the ceiling or
    > other space efficient ways of storing your bikes. My bike
    > is pretty heavy so I can't see myself lifting it very high
    > but I am sure there must be some good products out there
    > to help with this.
    >
    > thanks

    This bicycle hoist: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-
    /B000051XJ2/104-7489676-3127159?v=glance works very well for
    me. I have three bikes hung from the ceiling with this, and
    it's quite easy to use.

  3. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On 26 Apr 2004 15:36:45 -0700, [email protected] (Nessa) wrote:
    >My husband just got a new road bicycle so we now have 3
    >bikes in our garage and it is fast becoming a hazardous
    >place for our kids. Anyone have any recommendation for bike
    >storage racks the you can raise to the ceiling or other
    >space efficient ways of storing your bikes. My

    Rubber-coated hooks of appropriate sizes are found very
    cheaply at hardware stores, Home Depot/Lowes, and discount
    stores of all sorts. A single such hook in a wall will hang
    a bike by a wheel. Two hooks in the ceiling may hang the
    bike by it's top tube (need long hooks!) or by the handlebar
    (or stem) and saddle. There's a few different shapes and
    sizes of hooks, and myriad configurations possible.

    Another cheap option is shelf brackets with hanger-rod-
    hooks. Wrap something soft on the hooks, or dip them in
    Plasti Dip rubber coating. See http://tinyurl.com/jwe8 or
    http://www.homedepot.com/cmc_upload/HDUS/EN_US/asset/images-
    /eplus/161684_3.jpg

    Stick a shelf board on top of them for a nice place for your
    helmet, gloves, etc.

    >bike is pretty heavy so I can't see myself lifting it very
    >high but I am sure there must be some good products out
    >there to help with this.

    Keep your heavy bike on the floor, and hang other bike
    directly above it; let your husband lift his bike.

    Your husband gets the nice new lightweight road bike, and
    you're stuck honking around on a bike that you can
    scarcely lift?
    --
    Rick Onanian

  4. "Nessa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My husband just got a new road bicycle so we now have 3
    > bikes in our garage and it is fast becoming a hazardous
    > place for our kids.

    While you're at it, can you make a recommendation for
    storing two kids' bikes, two tandems, two mountain bikes,
    a hybrid, two road bikes, and a beater? Oh, and the
    trailer, too...

    My husband says we'll park the car in the driveway for now,
    but we have to have the problem solved before cold weather
    starts in this fall

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    Home of the meditative cyclist:

  5. Loki

    Loki Guest

    news:%[email protected]_s02...
    > "Nessa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > My husband just got a new road bicycle so we now have 3
    > > bikes in our garage and it is fast becoming a hazardous
    > > place for our kids.
    >
    > While you're at it, can you make a recommendation for
    > storing two kids' bikes, two tandems, two mountain bikes,
    > a hybrid, two road bikes, and a beater? Oh, and the
    > trailer, too...
    >
    > My husband says we'll park the car in the driveway for
    > now, but we have to have the problem solved before cold
    > weather starts in this fall

    Considering how screwed up the world and it's people are
    these days it's nice to see someone who knows what's really
    important in life; knows what their priorities should be.

    Damn shame you're already married.....

    *sigh*

    --
    'Kewl! Mom's on drugs! We can turn her in and get a form
    letter from Dick Cheney!' -Bart Simpson

  6. stavros

    stavros Guest

    Nessa wrote:

    > My husband just got a new road bicycle so we now have 3
    > bikes in our garage and it is fast becoming a hazardous
    > place for our kids. Anyone have any recommendation for
    > bike storage racks the you can raise to the ceiling or
    > other space efficient ways of storing your bikes. My bike
    > is pretty heavy so I can't see myself lifting it very high
    > but I am sure there must be some good products out there
    > to help with this.

    How about a couple of small pulleys, hooks and rope?

    --

    -TTFN

    -Steven

  7. David Kerber

    David Kerber Guest

    In article
    <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > My husband just got a new road bicycle so we now have 3
    > bikes in our garage and it is fast becoming a hazardous
    > place for our kids. Anyone have any recommendation for
    > bike storage racks the you can raise to the ceiling or
    > other space efficient ways of storing your bikes. My bike
    > is pretty heavy so I can't see myself lifting it very high
    > but I am sure there must be some good products out there
    > to help with this.

    Screw a couple of pulleys into the rafters, connect some
    ropes to your bike, and lift them up. Just tie the ropes off
    to a convenient nail or hook on the wall. Works for our
    kayak, which is a lot heavier than any bike.

    --
    Remove the ns_ from if replying by e-mail (but keep posts in
    the newsgroups if possible).

  8. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

    >"Nessa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> My husband just got a new road bicycle so we now have 3
    >> bikes in our garage and it is fast becoming a hazardous
    >> place for our kids. Anyone have any recommendation for
    >> bike storage racks the you can raise to the ceiling or
    >> other space efficient ways of storing your bikes. My bike
    >> is pretty heavy so I can't see myself lifting it very
    >> high but I am sure there must be some good products out
    >> there to help with this.
    >>
    >> thanks
    >
    >This bicycle hoist: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-
    >/B000051XJ2/104-7489676-3127159?v
    =glance
    >works very well for me. I have three bikes hung from the
    >ceiling with this, and it's quite easy to use.

    Check ebay for these, I've seen them going for about half
    the amazon price.
    --------------
    Alex

  9. On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 02:50:35 GMT, "Claire Petersky"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >My husband says we'll park the car in the driveway for now,
    >but we have to have the problem solved before cold weather
    >starts in this fall

    The obvious solution is to move someplace where cold weather
    doesn't start in the Fall.

    Tie a snow shovel to the front of your U-Haul truck.
    Drive South until somebody says, "What the hay-yull is
    THAT deal?".

    Buy a new house there.

  10. Gooserider

    Gooserider Guest

    news:%[email protected]_s02...
    > "Nessa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > My husband just got a new road bicycle so we now have 3
    > > bikes in our garage and it is fast becoming a hazardous
    > > place for our kids.
    >
    > While you're at it, can you make a recommendation for
    > storing two kids' bikes, two tandems, two mountain bikes,
    > a hybrid, two road bikes, and a beater? Oh, and the
    > trailer, too...
    >
    > My husband says we'll park the car in the driveway for
    > now, but we have to have the problem solved before cold
    > weather starts in this fall

    You mean you don't keep your bikes indoors, like in your
    bedroom? And you call yourself a cyclist..... :) $?

  11. "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message news:%[email protected]_s02...
    > > "Nessa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > My husband just got a new road bicycle so we now have
    > > > 3 bikes in our garage and it is fast becoming a
    > > > hazardous place for our kids.
    > >
    > > While you're at it, can you make a recommendation for
    > > storing two kids' bikes, two tandems, two mountain
    > > bikes, a hybrid, two road bikes, and a beater? Oh, and
    > > the trailer, too...
    > >
    > > My husband says we'll park the car in the driveway for
    > > now, but we have
    > > have the problem solved before cold weather starts in
    > > this fall
    >
    > You mean you don't keep your bikes indoors, like in your
    > bedroom? And you call yourself a cyclist..... :)

    Here's what I would propose:

    In garage, for easy access: o the road bikes o my old
    mountain that bike my older daughter is riding as her
    primary bike o the larger of the two kids' bike for the
    younger daughter o the two tandems (hang these from hooks,
    as they take up the most room)

    In the snug, warm basement: o my husband's mountain bike or
    the hybrid

    To be sold: o the trailer o the beater (or given away, or
    chucked) o the smaller of the two kids' bikes o my husband's
    mountain bike or the hybrid -- they're too close in function
    to retain both. I personally nominate the hybrid, as I
    believe it has a decent resale value, and the mountain bike
    just needs some minor repairs/maintenance to be functional
    (it isn't now).

    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky Please replace earthlink for mouse-potato
    and .net for .com Home of the meditative cyclist:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm See the
    books I've set free at:

  12. S O R N I

    S O R N I Guest

    Nessa wrote:
    > My husband just got a new road bicycle so we now have 3
    > bikes in our garage and it is fast becoming a hazardous
    > place for our kids. Anyone have any recommendation for
    > bike storage racks the you can raise to the ceiling or
    > other space efficient ways of storing your bikes. My bike
    > is pretty heavy so I can't see myself lifting it very high
    > but I am sure there must be some good products out there
    > to help with this.

    I thought someone would suggest the obvious solution, but
    no one has.

    Give the kids sleeping bags and floor space in the garage,
    and store the bikes in their rooms.

    Bill "no more problem" S.

  13. Nessa

    Nessa Guest

    " S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Nessa wrote:
    > > My husband just got a new road bicycle so we now have 3
    > > bikes in our garage and it is fast becoming a hazardous
    > > place for our kids. Anyone
    ..

    > I thought someone would suggest the obvious solution, but
    > no one has.
    >
    > Give the kids sleeping bags and floor space in the garage,
    > and store the bikes in their rooms.
    >
    > Bill "no more problem" S.

    Thanks for all your helpful and (not) suggestions. My
    husband actually arrived home with a few hooks and hung his
    two bicycles from the celing while I was in the chat room so
    now all I have to deal with is mine which is not a
    problem......

  14. Me

    Me Guest

    On 2004-04-26 22:50:35 -0400, "Claire Petersky"
    <[email protected]> said:

    > "Nessa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> My husband just got a new road bicycle so we now have 3
    >> bikes in our garage and it is fast becoming a hazardous
    >> place for our kids.
    >
    > While you're at it, can you make a recommendation for
    > storing two kids' bikes, two tandems, two mountain bikes,
    > a hybrid, two road bikes, and a beater? Oh, and the
    > trailer, too...
    >
    > My husband says we'll park the car in the driveway for
    > now, but we have to have the problem solved before cold
    > weather starts in this fall

    Anyone have any recommendations of where to store a wife and
    a daughter ? I keep tripping over them while getting to 2
    road bikes, a trail bike, a trainer, nordic skis, a kayak, a
    canoe, 2 sets of roller blades, some golf clubs, a couple of
    tents, camping equipment, and some fly fishing equipment.

  15. me <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Anyone have any recommendations of where to store a wife
    > and a daughter ? I keep tripping over them while getting
    > to 2 road bikes, a trail bike, a trainer, nordic skis, a
    > kayak, a canoe, 2 sets of roller blades, some golf clubs,
    > a couple of tents, camping equipment, and some fly fishing
    > equipment.

    send them to me. i'm in dire need of one of each, or at
    least my parents call me weekly and tell me that i am.
    --
    david reuteler [email protected]

  16. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Thu, 13 May 2004 11:05:01 GMT, me <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Anyone have any recommendations of where to store a wife
    >and a daughter ? I keep tripping over them while getting to
    >2 road bikes, a trail bike, a trainer, nordic skis, a
    >kayak, a canoe, 2 sets of roller blades, some golf clubs, a
    >couple of tents, camping equipment, and some fly fishing
    >equipment.

    Store them on a tandem, on the kid-trailer, in the canoe, in
    the tents, and in hip waders at the stream. If you're lucky,
    all you need to do is buy additional equipment; if not,
    you'll need to gather them as easily as one herds cats.

    Unless the kid is a teenager yet, she should be easy to
    bring biking, camping, etc. The wife may be a more
    difficult project.

    You think that's bad? How about this: http://www.rooferscof-
    feeshop.com/forums/viewreplies.asp?TopicID=3206 People
    posting that they _love_ roofing, the hard dirty work makes
    them feel good, so much so that they must make a conscious
    effort to spend Sundays with their family...
    --
    Rick Onanian

  17. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Thu, 13 May 2004 11:05:01 GMT, me <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Anyone have any recommendations of where to store a wife
    >and a daughter ? I keep tripping over them while getting to
    >2 road bikes, a trail bike, a trainer, nordic skis, a
    >kayak, a canoe, 2 sets of roller blades, some golf clubs, a
    >couple of tents, camping equipment, and some fly fishing
    >equipment.

    Store them on a tandem, on the kid-trailer, in the canoe, in
    the tents, and in hip waders at the stream. If you're lucky,
    all you need to do is buy additional equipment; if not,
    you'll need to gather them as easily as one herds cats.

    Unless the kid is a teenager yet, she should be easy to
    bring biking, camping, etc. The wife may be a more
    difficult project.

    You think that's bad? How about this: http://www.rooferscof-
    feeshop.com/forums/viewreplies.asp?TopicID=3206 People
    posting that they _love_ roofing, the hard dirty work makes
    them feel good, so much so that they must make a conscious
    effort to spend Sundays with their family...
    --
    Rick Onanian

  18. Rick Onanian