Bicycle Tour Brussel to Genoa, Italy.

xcwhite

Guest
We are planning on doing a credit card tour from Brussel to Genoa
Italy. Does anyone have any advice concerning route selection? We are
looking for a direct but scenic route. Any advice would be greatly
appreciated.

thanks,
xcwhite

xcwhite wrote:
> We are planning on doing a credit card tour from Brussel to Genoa
> Italy. Does anyone have any advice concerning route selection? We are
> looking for a direct but scenic route. Any advice would be greatly
> appreciated.

You might say something about what time of year, and what your riding
ability and experience are. If you're traveling June-August leaving
accommodations to chance might mean some chance of not being able to
find anything reasonably priced (for that matter, what do you consider
"reasonable prices" for accommodations?). If you're riding in Spring or
late Autumn, you may want to avoid higher elevations in case passes are
closed. Do you particularly like or dislike climbing? Do you intend to
do the journey entirely by bike or are you open to doing some legs by
train, bus, etc.? What level of motor traffic are you comfortable
sharing the road with?

We plan on starting the tour on June 25, and have to be in Italy by
july 2. We are very accomplished cyclists and can easily handle 150 to
200 km a day for a week straight. We plan on doing the tour with a
credit card and a small bottle of woolite. Climbing does not bother us
and actually prefer it being from Colorado, but obviously we will ride
shorter distances in the mountains. If we cannot finish the tour in 7
days, we will take a bus/train at the beginning and/or end of the tour.
Traffic and scenery are definite considerations and will do longer
days to avoid traffic and have a better riding experience.
Thanks,
Stephen

xcwhite wrote:
> We plan on starting the tour on June 25, and have to be in Italy by
> july 2. We are very accomplished cyclists and can easily handle 150 to
> 200 km a day for a week straight. We plan on doing the tour with a
> credit card and a small bottle of woolite. Climbing does not bother us
> and actually prefer it being from Colorado, but obviously we will ride
> shorter distances in the mountains. If we cannot finish the tour in 7
> days, we will take a bus/train at the beginning and/or end of the tour.
> Traffic and scenery are definite considerations and will do longer
> days to avoid traffic and have a better riding experience.

OK, I can't help you with Belgium and nothern France or Switzerland,
but given the time period, I'd definitely recommend the Alps. The
Grenoble Cycling Pages (www.grenoblecycling.com) has a lot of
information about the passes reachable from Grenoble, as well as a
members' forum where you can post questions. Membership is free.

In France, I'd expect you can find accommodations readily at B&Bs
(Chambres d'Hote). They are typically rural rather than urban, so
unless they also offer dinner (Table d'Hote), you'd have to make your
own arrangements for evening meals. The "Office du Tourisme" in each
town should have a list of Chambres d'Hote.

On the Italian side, the rough equivalents are "agriturismi", and the
local "Pro Loco" or "APT" or "IAT' office will have information. I
don't think the agriturismo system is as well developed or standardized
as its French counterpart. Two- and 3-star hotels can be very
affordable, and if you don't mind sharing a bathroom in the hall with
other guests, 1-star places can be downright cheap.

I haven't made it to the pass yet myself but the Col de Larche (French)
/ Colle della Maddalena (Italian) at 1991 meters is said to be a very
scenic climb. On the Italian side you descend down the Valle Stura to
the Po river basin. Or farther north there's the Colle d'Agnello
(Italian) / Col d'Agnel (French) at 2744 meters, which descends down
the Val Varaita to the Po basin.

The Mediterranean coast should not yet be terribly busy with holiday
traffic (peaks in late July through August). However, to my taste it's
overdeveloped and not terribly interesting to ride. You might consider
going through the Langhe wine country in southeastern Piemonte, and
visit the bike museum in Novi Ligure (Museo dei Campionissimi) on your
way to Genova.