Bicycle Tour of Colorado - 7/20-26

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Jac, May 26, 2003.

  1. Jac

    Jac Guest

    Are recumbent riders who've done this, or plan to?

    Tags:

  2. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    I rode the 1997 Tour of Colorado on my Vision R-44 SWB. There were 3 other recumbents, another
    Vision with a long wheelbase and 2 BikeE's. The BikeE riders purchased their bikes 1 week before the
    ride. Not surprising, these 2 had to be sagged each day. The other Vision rider and I did just fine.
    I've had many years of recumbent riding and lots of rides in the mountains so the recumbent was not
    a disadvantage for
    me.

    Jeff

    [email protected] (JAC) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Are recumbent riders who've done this, or plan to?

  3. Roy

    Roy Guest

    I know of 5 recumbents from Texas that are going to do the tour. Although we have a lot of
    experience as bent riders; I can say w/o reservation that we do not have any way to adequately
    prepare for the mountains. Several of us did the Wyoming ride last year. We had a great time but the
    mountain passes were killer. Roy Longcrier T-bone

  4. Ron Friedel

    Ron Friedel Guest

    I was the other Vision rider who did the Bike Tour of Colorado in 1997. I had no problems on that
    tour. At the time I was a full-time bike commuter and had a good mileage base before the ride.
    Although the vast majority of those miles were in the Milwaukee, WI, area which is pretty flat.

    We did the tour again in 2001 and I had problems. I had to get off the bike and walk up Grand Mesa.
    First time in my life that I walked. The difference between 1997 and 2001 is that I retired in 2000
    and don't ride as much any more. Plus I had some sort of summer flu where I couldn't eat anything.

    Last summer, 2002, I rode cross-country on the Adventure Cycling Northern Tier route and the 6-8
    percent grades over the mountain passes in Washington and Montana were not a problem. I was slower
    going up than my riding partner, who was on an upright. I was on a Tour Easy for this trip but I
    don't think it climbs better or worse than my old, LWB, R42 Vision.

    Ron Friedel

    news:[email protected]...