Bicycle touring for Teens in Canada

nomade

Jan 16, 2011
[SIZE= 9pt]The Nomad Tours are back in 2011 with 5 trips for teens: Laurentians, Thousand Islands, Eastern Townships, Ottawa Valley and Georgian Bay. [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 9pt]Tours can accept up to 12 participants accompanied by 2 guides. They are fully autonomous (real cycle touring!): luggage is carried on bikes, teens set up camp sites and help preparing meals. Tours range from 7 days to 3 weeks. A great way to get kids hooked on cycling! [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 9pt]For more information: [COLOR= #006699]www.nomadtours.ca[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Originally Posted by nomade .

[SIZE= 9pt]The Nomad Tours are back in 2011 with 5 trips for teens: Laurentians, Thousand Islands, Eastern Townships, Ottawa Valley and Georgian Bay. [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 9pt]Tours can accept up to 12 participants accompanied by 2 guides. They are fully autonomous (real cycle touring!): luggage is carried on bikes, teens set up camp sites and help preparing meals. Tours range from 7 days to 3 weeks. A great way to get kids hooked on cycling! [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 9pt]For more information: [COLOR= rgb(0, 102, 153)]www.nomadtours.ca[/COLOR][/SIZE]
hey watchout how hard these tours are gonna be, remember teens have gear restrictions up to 18 years old, by the UCI. The reason, they are still developing and too hard of a cycling youth could actually ruin a long term career for them, or even not maintain cycling as a hobby as adults. Luggage on their bikes should be somehow restricted i think, so they would have still some sense of touring on a loaded bike, while preserving their energy and potential for the future.

Thanks for your reply.

We've been organizing tours for teens since 1993 - the distances and difficulty are well adapted. Keep in mind that these are tours, not races. Average speed is between 18 km/h to 23 km/h (15 m/h). Two of our tours are intended for beginners, with distances of 40 km per day max (25 miles), and relatively flat terrains. We also have intermediate and challenging routes for the more experienced teens. Many of our travellers come back every year. Our 17-year experience has shown that teens are up to the challenge. Actually, they thrive on it.

There is always a physical challenge to cycletouring, but this experience is alot more about self discovery, learning to function in a group, learning to be ressourceful, and, of course, discovering new regions on a bike.

François Demers

Hi fellow cyclists!

Anyone bored at work or feeling charitable? Please help me out by filling out my online survey. I am a Dutch Grad student studying the sustainability of cycle tourism. I would really appreciate your help! This is the link: http://survey.jolijnkoopmans.com/index.php?sid=73673〈=en

Have a great cycle season!