Bicycle Touring with a dog/dog trailer

Robert_Nashvill

Sep 21, 2006
Hello everyone and thanks in advance for your replies!

I'm returning to cycling after over ten years off the bike with a goal of doing one and even multi-day touring by late next spring/eraly summer and I'm wondering if anyone out there has done touring with a dog/dog trailer...any experience and/or advice woudl be appreciated.

Franky, I thought my idea of including my dog was probably pretty wierd until I actually found a site that makes a bicycle trailer for pets as well as children and I realized this may be a more realistic option than I thought initially.

I have two year old Basset Hound (about 60lbs) that goes everyehwere with me. Obviously, hauling around a 60lb dog plus trailer isn't going to support high speeds but in the past I've seen many families on multi-day tours with children in trailers so I figure if they can do it so can I so I see no reason to leave my BH out of my cycling adventures!

I look forward to hearing from all of you...thanks again!

Robert_Nashvill said:
Hello everyone and thanks in advance for your replies!

I'm returning to cycling after over ten years off the bike with a goal of doing one and even multi-day touring by late next spring/eraly summer and I'm wondering if anyone out there has done touring with a dog/dog trailer...any experience and/or advice woudl be appreciated.

Franky, I thought my idea of including my dog was probably pretty wierd until I actually found a site that makes a bicycle trailer for pets as well as children and I realized this may be a more realistic option than I thought initially.

I have two year old Basset Hound (about 60lbs) that goes everyehwere with me. Obviously, hauling around a 60lb dog plus trailer isn't going to support high speeds but in the past I've seen many families on multi-day tours with children in trailers so I figure if they can do it so can I so I see no reason to leave my BH out of my cycling adventures!

I look forward to hearing from all of you...thanks again!
A trailer for pets or a Burley trailer works. I used a Bob trailer with a custom built cover to contain and protect my dog for some training rides where I camped in the UP of Michigan. It worked, but is was slower in general and a little scary going down hills with the extra weight and less stability.
Make sure you are ready with good brakes that can handle the down hills and securely fasten everything to control stability. You want to make sure there is some downward force on the trailer hitch no matter where your dog is in the trailer. Extra water and extra stops for the dog's sake are also part of the picture.