Bicycle Tourism in SA Survey

K.A. Moylan

Guest
A little way down this posting is a link to a survey about cycle tourism
in South Australia. It has some prizes as an inducement to complete it.

I got most of the way through before coming to a question which was
something like 'what 3 words or phrases relating to cycling do you
associate with South Australia'. I had to write in one of the slots
(answer remembered as best I can):
Eugene McGee - cyclist killer who almost got away with murder

I really am disgusted with the lenient sentence that McGee first
received for his crime.
I hope that anybody here who completes the survey also remarks about
McGee.
I then hope that there will be so much negativity about McGee that the
survey cannot ignore it, the STCRC & SA tourism authorities take note of
it, and the politicians in SA take note of it & do something about it.

Anyway, here follows the text of the e-mail from Pedal Power that
advertised the survey. The link is near the bottom.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=378532836085

--
K.A. Moylan
Canberra, Australia

K.A. Moylan said:
I then hope that there will be so much negativity about McGee that the
survey cannot ignore it, the STCRC & SA tourism authorities take note of
it, and the politicians in SA take note of it & do something about it.

One point to make about this - the McGee brothers are still facing contempt of court charges (and still trying to avoid appearing in court), all the news articles here:
http://www.woj.com.au/category/mcgee-contempt-of-court-case/

On a happier note I've been doing research at work on SA bike trails and cycling facilties in general etc and am quite impressed. May pay a visit in the future.

Famous SA cyclists? How about Stuart O'Grady, Alexis Rhodes and Renee Junga for starters?

cfsmtb wrote:
> K.A. Moylan Wrote:
>
>>I then hope that there will be so much negativity about McGee that the
>>survey cannot ignore it, the STCRC & SA tourism authorities take note
>>of
>>it, and the politicians in SA take note of it & do something about it.
>>

> One point to make about this - the McGee brothers are still facing
> contempt of court charges (and still trying to avoid appearing in
> court), all the news articles here:
> http://www.woj.com.au/category/mcgee-contempt-of-court-case/
>
> On a happier note I've been doing research at work on 'SA bike trails'
> (http://tinyurl.com/shfrh) and cycling facilties in general etc and am
> quite impressed. May pay a visit in the future.
>
> Famous SA cyclists? How about Stuart O'Grady, Alexis Rhodes and Renee
> Junga for starters?

There seems to be a bit of "corporate" interest at last in promoting
cycle tourism in Australia. I have done quite a lot in both Australia
and Europe and find the difference is in attitude of the general public.
In Europe I am not regarded as a freak by hotel and restaurant owners,
am respected by most motorists and can find lots of quiet back roads to
ride on. In Oz if you turn up to a nice restaurant on a bike you are
given the cold shoulder, bogans try to run you off the road and most
roads are build for gas guzzlers. I know there are exceptions,
especially in Victoria but it is going to take a lot to shift Australian
attitudes. I spend a lot of money each year on overseas trips and would
willingly spend it here if I could

--
Remove norubbish to reply

In aus.bicycle on Fri, 01 Dec 2006 13:13:58 +1100
Jack Russell <[email protected]> wrote:
> In Europe I am not regarded as a freak by hotel and restaurant owners,
> am respected by most motorists and can find lots of quiet back roads to
> ride on. In Oz if you turn up to a nice restaurant on a bike you are
> given the cold shoulder, bogans try to run you off the road and most
> roads are build for gas guzzlers. I know there are exceptions,
> especially in Victoria but it is going to take a lot to shift Australian
> attitudes. I spend a lot of money each year on overseas trips and would
> willingly spend it here if I could

I remember a time when riding a motorcycle meant you had trouble
getting meals in a restaurant or a motel room....

What's changing is that the big superslabs are taking the car-dwelling
tourists along the flat boring roads leaving the towns in the twisty
bits needing all the patrons they can get.

So they are much more open to motorcycles.

I'm not sure if friendly places in the hills are useful for bicycle
tourists :) But anywhere off the main big highways is getting more
interested in the non-car tourist as the big highways bypass their
towns.

The MCC of NSW has worked with local motorcycle groups and councils
to snaffle road safety and tourism funding. Booklets about motorcycle
touring in regional areas with a road safety message, funded by the road
safty funding and by local businesses who advertise they are motorcycle
friendly.

Perhaps the same might work for bicycle touring? Local riders mapping
good cycling roads and things to see plus any safety warnings like poor
surface or trucks or bad sightlines (or nasty hills!), local businesses
offering secure bike storage and food and things to see, co-ordinated
by councils. Add in some basic cycling safety messages and apply for
the funding.

Fewer bicycle tourists than motorcycle tourists, but still worth a local
club's while. especially if there's a train station so people can train
to the region, and explore it.

Zebee

Zebee Johnstone said:
Fewer bicycle tourists than motorcycle tourists, but still worth a local
club's while. especially if there's a train station so people can train
to the region, and explore it.

Timely, considering this MR came out today;
http://minister.industry.gov.au/ind...&objectID=3787CCAD-D1F1-3D3A-C0363EF6650327D9
CYCLE TOURISM CYCLES FORWARD

Cycle tourism has been recognised as an important niche market in the tourism industry with $239,650 funding from the Australian Government.

Tourism Minister Fran Bailey announced the funding today to Bicycle South Australia Inc.

Fran Bailey said cycle tourism was a fast-growing sector in Australia and overseas and had to be developed as a niche market locally.

“The funding will be used to help develop a cycle tourism resource kit to assist regional communities throughout Australia to invest strategically in this exciting market," Fran Bailey said.

“It will include a series of integrated tool kits and tool boxes, including a ‘how-to manual’ that will equip regional communities with knowledge of how to best invest in cycle tourism."

The areas that will be focused on are in the Munda Boddo trail region in southern Western Australia, Murray to the Mountains Rail Trail in north eastern Victoria, Redlands and Noosa Shires in Queensland, southern Flinders Ranges in South Australia, and in Tasmania.

“These areas are already showing successful cycle tourism development," Fran Bailey said.

The funding has been offered under the Australian Government’s $31 million Australian Tourism Development Program which supports innovative and regional tourism projects.

(more in article)

OzCableguy said:
Could probably spend some of that on an educational program focused on how
to spell Munda Biddi... ;-)

Well that's a big der fred isn't it? :p

news:[email protected]...

www.ozcableguy.com
www.oztechnologies.com

Jack Russell wrote:

> In Europe I am not regarded as a freak by hotel and restaurant owners,
> am respected by most motorists and can find lots of quiet back roads to
> ride on. In Oz if you turn up to a nice restaurant on a bike you are
> given the cold shoulder, bogans try to run you off the road and most
> roads are build for gas guzzlers. I know there are exceptions,
> especially in Victoria but it is going to take a lot to shift Australian
> attitudes. I spend a lot of money each year on overseas trips and would
> willingly spend it here if I could

Make sure you put that in the survey. It might help to get the message
out. you are the sort of customer (money and style of trip wise) that
the survey is looking for.

Zebee Johnstone wrote:

> So they are much more open to motorcycles.

Ulysses club.

> Perhaps the same might work for bicycle touring? Local riders mapping
> good cycling roads

There is a little bit happening in NSW. A decade + ago, there was a nice
little brochure promoting Cowra, Boorowa(?) etc as cycling country. A
few othera have followed suite, but not many.

"cfsmtb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> On a happier note I've been doing research at work on 'SA bike trails'
> (http://tinyurl.com/shfrh) and cycling facilties in general etc and am
> quite impressed. May pay a visit in the future.
>
> Famous SA cyclists? How about Stuart O'Grady, Alexis Rhodes and Renee
> Junga for starters?

You forgot Brett Aitkin :p

"Terryc" wrote:

> Zebee Johnstone wrote:

>> Perhaps the same might work for bicycle touring? Local riders mapping
>> good cycling roads

> There is a little bit happening in NSW. A decade + ago, there was a nice
> little brochure promoting Cowra, Boorowa(?) etc as cycling country. A few
> othera have followed suite, but not many.

The rail-trails movement generally has a focus on tourism benefits. In
Victoria the Great Dividing Trail Association (www.gdt.org.au) has recently
developed a funding proposal to substantially extend their trail across very
large slabs of Victoria as an extended horse/cycling trail.

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

On Fri, 1 Dec 2006 21:58:46 +1030, Gemma_k wrote:

>> Famous SA cyclists? How about Stuart O'Grady, Alexis Rhodes and Renee
>> Junga for starters?

> You forgot Brett Aitkin :p

You can't forget him if you regularly look at the cycle2max climbs :)

"Michael Warner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 1 Dec 2006 21:58:46 +1030, Gemma_k wrote:
>
>>> Famous SA cyclists? How about Stuart O'Grady, Alexis Rhodes and Renee
>>> Junga for starters?

>> You forgot Brett Aitkin :p

> You can't forget him if you regularly look at the cycle2max climbs :)

Or, watch him in action when he's racing...
www.sa.cycling.org.au/teams
He's the current Yellow Jersey wearer...

K.A. Moylan wrote:
> A little way down this posting is a link to a survey about cycle tourism
> in South Australia. It has some prizes as an inducement to complete it.
>
> I got most of the way through before coming to a question which was
> something like 'what 3 words or phrases relating to cycling do you
> associate with South Australia'. I had to write in one of the slots
> (answer remembered as best I can):
> Eugene McGee - cyclist killer who almost got away with murder

<snipped for brevity>
>> Cycle Tourism Research Survey

<snipped for brevity>
>> The link is

> http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=378532836085

28. Please list below up to 3 words or phrases that come to mind when
thinking of South Australia as a cycle tourism destination.
1 Wineries
2 Tour Downunder
3 *Eugene McGee getting away with murder with the help of corrupt
policing and a care-less government (Justice is now 58 weeks
overdue in the courts).*

That's about it.

Pete.B