Bicycle Tours

Velotour

Sep 14, 2006
My Bicycling Tours. Fully loaded, self contained, stealth-camping anout 90 % of the nights, mostly solo but often with a companion.

England, Scotland, Wales summer 1984.

Key West, Florida to San Diego, California winter 1984-85.

Scotland, France, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Northern Ireland summer 1986.

2600 miles of northern tier summer 1987.

Stuart, Florida to Bangor, Maine May 1 to May 22 1990.

Seattle, WA to one-half Oregon on pacific coast summer 1990.

Portland, Oregon to San Diego, CA summer 1993.

4,500 miles through France, Germany, Czech, Poland, Ukraine, Moldova, Romania, Bulgaria, Greece, Italy, United States in summer-fall 1994.

South Florida to georgia, South Carolina, N. carolina, Tennessee, Arkansas.
Pittsburgh, PA to Lebanon, PA all in summer 1995.

A little in Korea in 1998.

Beijing, China to near Wuhan, China winter 1999.

South Florida to El Paso, Texas winter 1999. Arcata, California to Santa Cruz, CA winter 1999.

Glendale, Arizona to Tucson, Arizona winter 2000.

Five New England states 2001.

Florida to Los Angeles, California summer 2002.

South Florida to New York City summer 2004.

South Florida to San Diego, CA winter 2004.

South Florida to Brownsville, Texas winter 2005.

A variety of shorter tours and day trips around south Florida.

I just finished the WA coast with my brother. What an awesome trip!

What was touring in Maine like? It sounds nice if you avoid blackflies and weather extremes. We're looking for a state-side trip for next year and I've thought of Maine or California.

rcrampton said:
I just finished the WA coast with my brother. What an awesome trip!

What was touring in Maine like? It sounds nice if you avoid blackflies and weather extremes. We're looking for a state-side trip for next year and I've thought of Maine or California.
Maine was pretty nice. In my opinion it cannot hold a candle to the Pacific Coast Bicycling Route. That is what I say. If you have the chance do the PCBR.

Coastal Maine was somewhat rolling but largely more close to level than the interior. The interior where I was went like a roller coaster. There was enough rain. As late as May you can still get nice cool weather. It was fine for cycling as far as I can remember. On that tour I ended up in a hostel in New York City one day after the official ending of the clean up of the WTC site. I took Amtrak home.

I am considering another tour. I would gladly do the PCBR again except that my window of opportunity for this tour does not cope with the weather on the PCBR that time of year.

You might want to consider touring in western Europe. There are very good networks of bike paths there. The only extra expence would be the round trip ticket for the airline.

VELOTOUR

HowardSteele said:
Now you guys are just making us jealous,Where do get the time?
lucky so and so's:rolleyes:
Do not be too jealous. Everything has its costs. To do a tour I have to be not working and earning and that costs. It is just that I am one of those people who is not content with sitting around doing nothing. Doing nothing drives me up a wall. I am the active adventurous type. If I told you some of the experiences I have had around the world you would never believe me.

Velotour said:
Do not be too jealous.
Yep Velotour, If i really wanted to tour i would get out and do it, but I’m rather happy with my lot, i do multi day tours but nothing longer than 5 days.I’m a scuba instructor and get to dive more than i want, I have a lovely home a beautiful family and we, go touring camping and exploring together have a magnificent mountain range surrounding or valley which provides hours of mtb'ing fun. Below is the outlook point i ride to daily looking down on our suburb.But am i still jealouse you bet ja :)

Portland OR --> Coos Bay, OR Summer 2001 (solo, fully loaded)
San Francisco --> Los Angeles, June 2003 (AIDS/LifeCycle)
Madrid --> Granada --> Montpellier, Fall 2003 (solo, fully loaded)

Hmm.. It's been three years..

Velotour said:
I tried opening the page but it did not open.
Geocities is for free so the hourly data transfer rate is limited, it might just have been busy. Usually lasts for less than an hour try later. I've checked the link it works.

xilios said:
Geocities is for free so the hourly data transfer rate is limited, it might just have been busy. Usually lasts for less than an hour try later. I've checked the link it works.
It is probably where I am that is the problem. I tried twice more but no luck. I will just have to catch it when it is not busy. I will definitely read a bicycling journal. I have read several all the way through. I find them very interesting and can recognize the frustrations, the pains, the setbacks, the problems, the triumphs and the good times from all my own experiences. For me it is nearly like being there because the characters in the story are doing what I myself have done hundreds of times. Especially when they are covering a route I have taken before can I see it through their eyes.

I was disappointed that the site would not open but I will keep trying until it does open. We get all kinds of sites here that open in the USA but which do not open here, including google, hotmail, and others. Sometimes they open. Sometimes they don't. I am living and working in the developing world right now and things do not always work the same here as everywhere else.