Bicycle Trailer Hitch.

Daddo

Aug 22, 2008
I have been pulling cargo and passenger trailers for a lot of years, but one factor always leaves me unsatisfied. That would be the poor choices or options available in the mating of a trailer to a bicycle frame.

I know that there are a lot of options out there but I have not really been completely happy with any that I have seen or used thus far. My primary objections are the fact that they are either noisy or that they look like ****.

I have used the following three axis rotation design on my last two trailers. I have employed it first mounted on the left side frame near the rear axle, and more recently attached to the seat post via a rack support.

While this design, using a compressed air quick release fitting, is not horrible to look at, there is a certain amount of free play in both the fitting itself (which allows 360 degree rotation) and the supporting wheel caster (which provides two additional rotational planes). This small amount of free play creates a racket that just drives me nuts. Granted, I am probably the only one who notices the noise, but it is really annoying. I have tried packing the casters ball bearings with heavy gear grease, which helped a little, but I can still hear it.

Any suggestions? The full trailer thread is here: http://www.cyclingforums.com/forum/thread/481938/no-weld-made-from-spare-parts-cargo-trailer

Adiós, Daddo --- Daytona Beach, Florida - USA "Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen." ("What we cannot speak of we must pass over in silence.")