Bicycle trainer

Yum

Guest
I started to use a bicycle trainer with magnetic resistance. I noticed
that my heart rate goes up and started to sweat much quicker than normal
outdoor ride. Do you have same experience ? I wonder why.

"Yum" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I started to use a bicycle trainer with magnetic resistance. I noticed
> that my heart rate goes up and started to sweat much quicker than normal
> outdoor ride. Do you have same experience ? I wonder why.

Try putting a strong fan on you. I think that you will notice the
difference.

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 19:12:15 -0700, "Yum" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I started to use a bicycle trainer with magnetic resistance. I noticed
>that my heart rate goes up and started to sweat much quicker than normal
>outdoor ride. Do you have same experience ? I wonder why.

Well, on the sweating part of it, you don't benefit from the cooling
breeze. Have you ever noticed, on a real hot day, that you don't sweat
much, until you stop. That is because the air is cooling you.

I have the opposite problem with HR, mine is higher when riding. I
have to really hammer it, in the trainer, to get similar results.

Life is Good!
Jeff

"Yum" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]...
> I started to use a bicycle trainer with magnetic resistance. I noticed
> that my heart rate goes up and started to sweat much quicker than normal
> outdoor ride. Do you have same experience ? I wonder why.

try training outdoors instead of indoors and you'll notice the difference.
The heartbeat goes up faster when it's warmer, the same applies on hot days
in summer. The sweating is a result of the absence of the self generated
headwind.

bert l.

--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu

"Bert L.am" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Yum" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
> news:[email protected]...
> > I started to use a bicycle trainer with magnetic resistance. I noticed
> > that my heart rate goes up and started to sweat much quicker than normal
> > outdoor ride. Do you have same experience ? I wonder why.
> >

> try training outdoors instead of indoors and you'll notice the difference.
> The heartbeat goes up faster when it's warmer, the same applies on hot

days
> in summer. The sweating is a result of the absence of the self generated
> headwind.
>
> bert l.
>

> --
> Posted by news://news.nb.nu

During the winter last year, I worked with a trainer. With the garage open,
I would bring my bike and trainer close to the door. After 45 minutes, my
neighbor said she could see the steam exiting my body, thought it was a
pretty funny sight. So I must be generating a lot of heat.
As for your heart rate, it does go up on a trainer, but you can control that
by slowing down. Get into a nice cadence rhythm. I've found that I also need
a good warm-up before I get into a full spin. Pretty soon, you won't sweat
as much.
-tom

"Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> During the winter last year, I worked with a trainer. With the garage

open,
> I would bring my bike and trainer close to the door. After 45 minutes,

my
> neighbor said she could see the steam exiting my body, thought it was a
> pretty funny sight. So I must be generating a lot of heat.
> As for your heart rate, it does go up on a trainer, but you can control

that
> by slowing down. Get into a nice cadence rhythm. I've found that I also

need
> a good warm-up before I get into a full spin. Pretty soon, you won't

sweat
> as much.

My favorite story along these lines:

http://gainesvillecyclingclub.org/1998/winterill.html

"Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > During the winter last year, I worked with a trainer. With the garage

> open,
> > I would bring my bike and trainer close to the door. After 45 minutes,

> my
> > neighbor said she could see the steam exiting my body, thought it was a
> > pretty funny sight. So I must be generating a lot of heat.
> > As for your heart rate, it does go up on a trainer, but you can control

> that
> > by slowing down. Get into a nice cadence rhythm. I've found that I also

> need
> > a good warm-up before I get into a full spin. Pretty soon, you won't

> sweat
> > as much.

> My favorite story along these lines:
>
> http://gainesvillecyclingclub.org/1998/winterill.html

Pretty funny story above.
Years ago, I met Seana Hogan at our 4th of July, Pancake breakfast when I
was with the Almaden Cycling Touring Club.
She was preparing to ride RAM. She was wearing her Bianchi cycling bibs and
I don't think I've ever seen a woman who was more fit. Looked like a
sculptured body. She said hello to me as I was stuffing my face with
pancakes, I said to her; "What Seana, no butter?"
-tom

>I started to use a bicycle trainer with magnetic resistance. I noticed
>that my heart rate goes up and started to sweat much quicker than normal
>outdoor ride. Do you have same experience ? I wonder why.

Heat. Outdoors you get more wind to cool you off as you go faster. Indoors
this does not happen. So your heart works faster to help cool you off.
Alex

"Yum" <[email protected]> wonders:
> I started to use a bicycle trainer with magnetic resistance. I noticed
> that my heart rate goes up and started to sweat much quicker than normal
> outdoor ride. Do you have same experience ? I wonder why.

Open the garage door and turn on a fan.

BTW, why not give rollers a try. They're funner.