Bicycle trainer

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by A Hunter, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. A Hunter

    A Hunter Guest

    Since I live in sunny Scotland where it never rains...but it sure does pour and the wind doesn't
    blow but it howls through the winter months (and let's face it half the summer months too!) I am
    intending to buy a trainer and am looking for advice on the best type for a novice rider.

    Joe

    Tags:

  2. Draftnut

    Draftnut Guest

    Stay away from wind trainers. They just too noisy! I just got a Minoura trainer (mag 850) with the
    remote tension thingy that clips to your bars. I like it and it's pretty quiet.

    I feel your pain.....I live in the central valley of Ca. doesn't rain too much, but it sure is
    foggy....a lot! I've been using my trainer on really foggy days.

    Best of Luck,

    DraftNut

    "A Hunter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Since I live in sunny Scotland where it never rains...but it sure does
    pour
    > and the wind doesn't blow but it howls through the winter months (and
    let's
    > face it half the summer months too!) I am intending to buy a trainer and
    am
    > looking for advice on the best type for a novice rider.
    >
    > Joe

  3. Budman

    Budman Guest

    My first recommendation would by a CycleOps Fluid2. I do not know if they are available in the UK.
    The resistance range on this trainer is great. Keep the gear low enough and anyone can spin it. Put
    the gearing up and hammer, the workout is enough to make your really sweat. This was the best
    resistance trainer I have used, until I discovered riding rollers. "A Hunter" <[email protected]>

  4. In article <[email protected]>, alijoe65 @hotmail.com says...
    > Since I live in sunny Scotland where it never rains...but it sure does pour and the wind doesn't
    > blow but it howls through the winter months (and let's face it half the summer months too!) I am
    > intending to buy a trainer and am looking for advice on the best type for a novice rider.
    >
    > Joe

    Minoura 500R or Blackburn Basic trainers are the best bang for the buck.
    --
    _________________________

  5. I agree with BudMan's opinion of the CycleOps Fluid2. I have been using trainers for several years
    and this is the best one that I have had. It's not cheap, however, ~$270 US.

    The biggest problem I have had with trainers is the resistance unit failing. I have only had the
    Fluid2 for about six months so I can't speak to its reliability.

    BTW, I live in San Diego where weather is not much of a problem. I use a trainer because it provides
    a controlled environment.

    Tom

    "BudMan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > My first recommendation would by a CycleOps Fluid2. I do not know if they are available in the UK.
    > The resistance range on this trainer is great. Keep the gear low enough and anyone can spin it.
    > Put the gearing up and hammer, the workout is enough to make your really sweat. This was the best
    > resistance trainer I have used, until I discovered riding rollers. "A Hunter"
    > > Since I live in sunny Scotland where it never rains...but it sure does
    > pour
    > > and the wind doesn't blow but it howls through the winter months (and
    > let's
    > > face it half the summer months too!) I am intending to buy a trainer and
    > am
    > > looking for advice on the best type for a novice rider.
    > >
    > > Joe

  6. steve

    steve Administrator
    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2001
    Messages:
    5,259
    Dont get a wind trainer, go for a mag or fluid training, they not as noisy as wind trainers

    cheers!

  7. My Minoura Mag Trainer is in the basemant not being used. It has a handlebar mounted resistance
    selector. 1 to 5. After a couple of years the resistance would increase as I went from 1 to 3, then
    after 3 the resistance decreased. If I just wanted to spin it was great, but if I wanted to simulate
    climbing it didn't cut it.

    I'm using a CycleOps Fluid2 now. It's great.

    Monty

    "Thomas Reynolds" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I agree with BudMan's opinion of the CycleOps Fluid2. I have been using trainers for several years
    > and this is the best one that I have had. It's not cheap, however, ~$270 US.
    >
    > The biggest problem I have had with trainers is the resistance unit failing. I have only had the
    > Fluid2 for about six months so I can't speak to its reliability.
    >
    > BTW, I live in San Diego where weather is not much of a problem. I use a trainer because it
    > provides a controlled environment.
    >
    > Tom
    >
    > "BudMan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > My first recommendation would by a CycleOps Fluid2. I do not know if
    they
    > > are available in the UK. The resistance range on this trainer is great. Keep the gear low enough
    > > and anyone can spin it. Put the gearing up and hammer, the workout is enough to make your really
    > > sweat. This was the
    best
    > > resistance trainer I have used, until I discovered riding rollers. "A Hunter"
    > > <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > Since I live in sunny Scotland where it never rains...but it sure does
    > > pour
    > > > and the wind doesn't blow but it howls through the winter months (and
    > > let's
    > > > face it half the summer months too!) I am intending to buy a trainer
    and
    > > am
    > > > looking for advice on the best type for a novice rider.
    > > >
    > > > Joe

  8. Joe Hunter

    Joe Hunter Guest

    Thanks for all the advice guys, it's good to hear other people's opinions on things...

    Of course a better idea would be just to leave the country for somewhere with decent weather but I
    don't suppose the family would go for that!!!

    Thanks again Joe

  9. Nobody seems to mention the Tacx trainers. That seems to be almost the only thing we can buy around
    here ( Sweden ). Can anybody give a comparison between for instance the CycleOps Fluid2 and the
    Tacx Basic?

    --
    Replace the dots to reply

    Perre

    "A Hunter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Since I live in sunny Scotland where it never rains...but it sure does
    pour
    > and the wind doesn't blow but it howls through the winter months (and
    let's
    > face it half the summer months too!) I am intending to buy a trainer and
    am
    > looking for advice on the best type for a novice rider.
    >
    > Joe

  10. Harris

    Harris Guest

    "DraftNut" wrote:
    > Stay away from wind trainers. They just too noisy!

    I love my "Turbo" wind trainer. I have two sets of resistance fans on it (above and below the rear
    wheel), and find it simulates the feel of road very well. Noisy? Huh? What did you say?

    Art Harris

  11. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "Jon Isaacs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >I agree with BudMan's opinion of the CycleOps Fluid2. I have been using trainers for several
    > >years and this is the best one that I have had. It's not cheap, however, ~$270 US.
    >
    > >The biggest problem I have had with trainers is the resistance unit failing. I have only had the
    > >Fluid2 for about six months so I can't speak to its reliability.
    >
    > As far as I know, this is a problem limited to fluid trainers, both mag and wind trainers are so
    > simple that in my experience the resistance units never fail. Fluid trainers build up heat and can
    > blow the hydraulic seals,
    resulting
    > in a mess.
    >
    > Personally i like a simple folding mag trainer. Quiet, inexpensive and reliable.

    I heard a few reports of mag trainer self-destructing, so I was wary. When my Blackburn started
    making noise, I opened it up to take a look. The resistance unit consists of 2 stationary plates
    with what look like refrigerator magnets glued to them. There's an axle-mounted rotating plate
    between the 2 magnet plates, held with a single set screw. On my unit the screw had loosened, and
    the wobbling plate was scraping the magnets. I have no doubt the innards would have scrambled
    themselves if I kept on using it. That said, the single screw appeared to be the only possible
    failure point, the rest of it was dead simple, and very beefy looking. Short of the loose screw, I
    think reliability is a given. Very quiet, too.

  12. Actually34

    Actually34 Guest

  13. Sparhawk

    Sparhawk Guest

  14. Terry Morse

    Terry Morse Guest

    [posted and mailed, because my news server isn't propagating postings]

    Peter,

    I have a Blackburn mag trainer, too, and it's gotten pretty noisy lately. It tends to "roar" at
    certain combinations of speed and resistance. I checked the bearings for slop, and there is none.
    Maybe I need to disassemble it. Would you describe the noise yours was making as a "roar"?

    Thanks, terry

  15. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "Terry Morse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [posted and mailed, because my news server isn't propagating postings]
    >
    > Peter,
    >
    > I have a Blackburn mag trainer, too, and it's gotten pretty noisy lately. It tends to "roar" at
    > certain combinations of speed and resistance. I checked the bearings for slop, and there is none.
    > Maybe I need to disassemble it. Would you describe the noise yours was making as a "roar"?

    It's been a year or two, so I don't recall the noise exactly, but if mine started making any unusual
    noises, I'd open it up and take a look.

  16. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > [posted and mailed, because my news server isn't propagating postings]
    >
    > Peter,
    >
    > I have a Blackburn mag trainer, too, and it's gotten pretty noisy lately. It tends to "roar" at
    > certain combinations of speed and resistance. I checked the bearings for slop, and there is none.
    > Maybe I need to disassemble it. Would you describe the noise yours was making as a "roar"?
    >
    > Thanks, terry

    Even though you don't feel any play it is probably the bearing, it may not yet be worn but might
    have burned up all it's lube. I'm pretty sure Blackburn will replace that for you if you call them
    and describe the problem, I have yet to have them refuse to replace a part on one of their products,
    even old discontinued ones. You may have to send your trainer to them though so if you can live
    witht he noise for now I would until summer rolls around.
    --
    _________________________

  17. [email protected] (Jon Isaacs) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > >I agree with BudMan's opinion of the CycleOps Fluid2. I have been using trainers for several
    > >years and this is the best one that I have had. It's not cheap, however, ~$270 US.
    >
    > >The biggest problem I have had with trainers is the resistance unit failing. I have only had the
    > >Fluid2 for about six months so I can't speak to its reliability.
    >
    > As far as I know, this is a problem limited to fluid trainers, both mag and wind trainers are so
    > simple that in my experience the resistance units never fail. Fluid trainers build up heat and can
    > blow the hydraulic seals, resulting in a mess.
    >
    > Personally i like a simple folding mag trainer. Quiet, inexpensive and reliable.
    >
    > jon isaacs

    I disagree. The CycleOps Fluid2 trainer is the first fluid trainer that I have owned. I have
    previously had three mag units. The mag units (Blackburn, old CycleOps company and a no-name brand)
    have all had problems. On the first two the resistance unit failed within a couple months. I was
    able to get replacements but it's still a pain. To be fair, the last resistance unit on the
    BlackBurn model is still in use (by my wife). The other trainers are in my garage used to hold
    bikes upright.

    Tom

  18. > > jon isaacs

    > I disagree. The CycleOps Fluid2 trainer is the first fluid trainer that I have owned. I have
    > previously had three mag units. The mag units (Blackburn, old CycleOps company and a no-name
    > brand) have all had problems. On the first two the resistance unit failed within a couple months.
    > I was able to get replacements but it's still a pain. To be fair, the last resistance unit on the
    > BlackBurn model is still in use (by my wife). The other trainers are in my garage used to hold
    > bikes upright.
    >
    > Tom

    And your Cyclops hasn't leaked yet?
    --

  19. Sstangler

    Sstangler Guest

    I've only had my 1-Up USA trainer for a month, and love it so far. It's very easy to get the
    bike in and out of the trainer (even for a girl!), so I intend to use it for rainy days in the
    summer as well.