Bicycle trainer

A Hunter

Guest
Since I live in sunny Scotland where it never rains...but it sure does pour and the wind doesn't
blow but it howls through the winter months (and let's face it half the summer months too!) I am
intending to buy a trainer and am looking for advice on the best type for a novice rider.

Joe

Stay away from wind trainers. They just too noisy! I just got a Minoura trainer (mag 850) with the
remote tension thingy that clips to your bars. I like it and it's pretty quiet.

I feel your pain.....I live in the central valley of Ca. doesn't rain too much, but it sure is
foggy....a lot! I've been using my trainer on really foggy days.

Best of Luck,

DraftNut

"A Hunter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Since I live in sunny Scotland where it never rains...but it sure does
pour
> and the wind doesn't blow but it howls through the winter months (and
let's
> face it half the summer months too!) I am intending to buy a trainer and
am
> looking for advice on the best type for a novice rider.
>
> Joe

My first recommendation would by a CycleOps Fluid2. I do not know if they are available in the UK.
The resistance range on this trainer is great. Keep the gear low enough and anyone can spin it. Put
the gearing up and hammer, the workout is enough to make your really sweat. This was the best
resistance trainer I have used, until I discovered riding rollers. "A Hunter" <[email protected]>

In article <[email protected]>, alijoe65 @hotmail.com says...
> Since I live in sunny Scotland where it never rains...but it sure does pour and the wind doesn't
> blow but it howls through the winter months (and let's face it half the summer months too!) I am
> intending to buy a trainer and am looking for advice on the best type for a novice rider.
>
> Joe

Minoura 500R or Blackburn Basic trainers are the best bang for the buck.
--
_________________________

I agree with BudMan's opinion of the CycleOps Fluid2. I have been using trainers for several years
and this is the best one that I have had. It's not cheap, however, ~$270 US.

The biggest problem I have had with trainers is the resistance unit failing. I have only had the
Fluid2 for about six months so I can't speak to its reliability.

BTW, I live in San Diego where weather is not much of a problem. I use a trainer because it provides
a controlled environment.

Tom

"BudMan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> My first recommendation would by a CycleOps Fluid2. I do not know if they are available in the UK.
> The resistance range on this trainer is great. Keep the gear low enough and anyone can spin it.
> Put the gearing up and hammer, the workout is enough to make your really sweat. This was the best
> resistance trainer I have used, until I discovered riding rollers. "A Hunter"
> > Since I live in sunny Scotland where it never rains...but it sure does
> pour
> > and the wind doesn't blow but it howls through the winter months (and
> let's
> > face it half the summer months too!) I am intending to buy a trainer and
> am
> > looking for advice on the best type for a novice rider.
> >
> > Joe

Originally posted by A Hunter
Since I live in sunny Scotland where it never rains...but it sure does pour and the wind doesn't
blow but it howls through the winter months (and let's face it half the summer months too!) I am
intending to buy a trainer and am looking for advice on the best type for a novice rider.

Joe

Dont get a wind trainer, go for a mag or fluid training, they not as noisy as wind trainers

cheers!

My Minoura Mag Trainer is in the basemant not being used. It has a handlebar mounted resistance
selector. 1 to 5. After a couple of years the resistance would increase as I went from 1 to 3, then
after 3 the resistance decreased. If I just wanted to spin it was great, but if I wanted to simulate
climbing it didn't cut it.

I'm using a CycleOps Fluid2 now. It's great.

Monty

"Thomas Reynolds" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I agree with BudMan's opinion of the CycleOps Fluid2. I have been using trainers for several years
> and this is the best one that I have had. It's not cheap, however, ~$270 US.
>
> The biggest problem I have had with trainers is the resistance unit failing. I have only had the
> Fluid2 for about six months so I can't speak to its reliability.
>
> BTW, I live in San Diego where weather is not much of a problem. I use a trainer because it
> provides a controlled environment.
>
> Tom
>
> "BudMan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > My first recommendation would by a CycleOps Fluid2. I do not know if
they
> > are available in the UK. The resistance range on this trainer is great. Keep the gear low enough
> > and anyone can spin it. Put the gearing up and hammer, the workout is enough to make your really
> > sweat. This was the
best
> > resistance trainer I have used, until I discovered riding rollers. "A Hunter"
> > <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > Since I live in sunny Scotland where it never rains...but it sure does
> > pour
> > > and the wind doesn't blow but it howls through the winter months (and
> > let's
> > > face it half the summer months too!) I am intending to buy a trainer
and
> > am
> > > looking for advice on the best type for a novice rider.
> > >
> > > Joe

Thanks for all the advice guys, it's good to hear other people's opinions on things...

Of course a better idea would be just to leave the country for somewhere with decent weather but I
don't suppose the family would go for that!!!

Thanks again Joe

Nobody seems to mention the Tacx trainers. That seems to be almost the only thing we can buy around
here ( Sweden ). Can anybody give a comparison between for instance the CycleOps Fluid2 and the
Tacx Basic?

--
Replace the dots to reply

Perre

"DraftNut" wrote:
> Stay away from wind trainers. They just too noisy!

I love my "Turbo" wind trainer. I have two sets of resistance fans on it (above and below the rear
wheel), and find it simulates the feel of road very well. Noisy? Huh? What did you say?

Art Harris

"Jon Isaacs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >I agree with BudMan's opinion of the CycleOps Fluid2. I have been using trainers for several
> >years and this is the best one that I have had. It's not cheap, however, ~$270 US.
>
> >The biggest problem I have had with trainers is the resistance unit failing. I have only had the
> >Fluid2 for about six months so I can't speak to its reliability.
>
> As far as I know, this is a problem limited to fluid trainers, both mag and wind trainers are so
> simple that in my experience the resistance units never fail. Fluid trainers build up heat and can
> blow the hydraulic seals,
resulting
> in a mess.
>
> Personally i like a simple folding mag trainer. Quiet, inexpensive and reliable.

I heard a few reports of mag trainer self-destructing, so I was wary. When my Blackburn started
making noise, I opened it up to take a look. The resistance unit consists of 2 stationary plates
with what look like refrigerator magnets glued to them. There's an axle-mounted rotating plate
between the 2 magnet plates, held with a single set screw. On my unit the screw had loosened, and
the wobbling plate was scraping the magnets. I have no doubt the innards would have scrambled
themselves if I kept on using it. That said, the single screw appeared to be the only possible
failure point, the rest of it was dead simple, and very beefy looking. Short of the loose screw, I
think reliability is a given. Very quiet, too.

[posted and mailed, because my news server isn't propagating postings]

Peter,

I have a Blackburn mag trainer, too, and it's gotten pretty noisy lately. It tends to "roar" at
certain combinations of speed and resistance. I checked the bearings for slop, and there is none.
Maybe I need to disassemble it. Would you describe the noise yours was making as a "roar"?

Thanks, terry

"Terry Morse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [posted and mailed, because my news server isn't propagating postings]
>
> Peter,
>
> I have a Blackburn mag trainer, too, and it's gotten pretty noisy lately. It tends to "roar" at
> certain combinations of speed and resistance. I checked the bearings for slop, and there is none.
> Maybe I need to disassemble it. Would you describe the noise yours was making as a "roar"?

It's been a year or two, so I don't recall the noise exactly, but if mine started making any unusual
noises, I'd open it up and take a look.

> [posted and mailed, because my news server isn't propagating postings]
>
> Peter,
>
> I have a Blackburn mag trainer, too, and it's gotten pretty noisy lately. It tends to "roar" at
> certain combinations of speed and resistance. I checked the bearings for slop, and there is none.
> Maybe I need to disassemble it. Would you describe the noise yours was making as a "roar"?
>
> Thanks, terry

Even though you don't feel any play it is probably the bearing, it may not yet be worn but might
have burned up all it's lube. I'm pretty sure Blackburn will replace that for you if you call them
and describe the problem, I have yet to have them refuse to replace a part on one of their products,
even old discontinued ones. You may have to send your trainer to them though so if you can live
witht he noise for now I would until summer rolls around.
--
_________________________

[email protected] (Jon Isaacs) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> >I agree with BudMan's opinion of the CycleOps Fluid2. I have been using trainers for several
> >years and this is the best one that I have had. It's not cheap, however, ~$270 US.
>
> >The biggest problem I have had with trainers is the resistance unit failing. I have only had the
> >Fluid2 for about six months so I can't speak to its reliability.
>
> As far as I know, this is a problem limited to fluid trainers, both mag and wind trainers are so
> simple that in my experience the resistance units never fail. Fluid trainers build up heat and can
> blow the hydraulic seals, resulting in a mess.
>
> Personally i like a simple folding mag trainer. Quiet, inexpensive and reliable.
>
> jon isaacs

I disagree. The CycleOps Fluid2 trainer is the first fluid trainer that I have owned. I have
previously had three mag units. The mag units (Blackburn, old CycleOps company and a no-name brand)
have all had problems. On the first two the resistance unit failed within a couple months. I was
able to get replacements but it's still a pain. To be fair, the last resistance unit on the
BlackBurn model is still in use (by my wife). The other trainers are in my garage used to hold
bikes upright.

Tom

> > jon isaacs
>
> I disagree. The CycleOps Fluid2 trainer is the first fluid trainer that I have owned. I have
> previously had three mag units. The mag units (Blackburn, old CycleOps company and a no-name
> brand) have all had problems. On the first two the resistance unit failed within a couple months.
> I was able to get replacements but it's still a pain. To be fair, the last resistance unit on the
> BlackBurn model is still in use (by my wife). The other trainers are in my garage used to hold
> bikes upright.
>
> Tom

And your Cyclops hasn't leaked yet?
--

I've only had my 1-Up USA trainer for a month, and love it so far. It's very easy to get the
bike in and out of the trainer (even for a girl!), so I intend to use it for rainy days in the
summer as well.