Bicycle Trainer

Benny199

Nov 20, 2009
Hey, I am looking for a bike trainer for my mountain bike. I was looking for one on the cheaper side, around 100, don't have a lot of cash right now. I was just wondering if you guys could help me pick one out. I didn't know how to measure my bike tires, but I looked on the back tire and it said 26x1.95, don't know if this is any help. Cycling isn't something I do for a hobby, do it to keep in shape, so that is why I don't want to spend a lot. Thanks for taking the time to read this and help me. :)

You're a newbie, so I'll take it easy on ya':). Try using the 'search' function as I'm certain you'll find enough reading material on trainer recommendations to last you the rest of the day...

A very wise man said, "Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish, feed him for a lifetime"...

Now that I've "broken the ice", you'll probably get some current responses...

Sorry, The reason I didnt use the search function, is because my case is probably different. So I thought I would just make a new post.

Nah, nothing unique about someone wanting to use a mountain bike on an inexpensive trainer. Trainers are adjustable to fit almost every size bike - and there are plenty out there that can be had for little money. However, like with most things - you get what you pay for. Stick with the major manufacturers...Ebay will be your friend...

Ok, thanks for you help, my problem is knowing which of the manufacturers are the main ones lol

Benny199 said:
Indoor Training - Ascent Adjustable Magnetic Trainer

So I found this trainer at PerformanceBike, would this be alright for the mountain bike above?
That Ascent is a pretty good trainer but a fluid trainer would be quieter. Like Tony said, you get what you pay for, and e-Bay usually has some really good deals on trainers.

Well known brands are Kurt Kinetic, CycleOps, Minoura, Blackburn, Travel Trac....there are many others.

Ok, thanks for help guys, I think I might just stick with that ascent train for now.:)

You're able to read, so I'm sure you'll be able to distinguish the "major" from the "lesser" manufacturers. Good hunting...

Yes, the Ascent bike trainer is very good. I have one and I also ride in the hills. Very happy with it and I think you will be too. Good luck!

kdelong said:
That Ascent is a pretty good trainer but a fluid trainer would be quieter. Like Tony said, you get what you pay for, and e-Bay usually has some really good deals on trainers.

Well known brands are Kurt Kinetic, CycleOps, Minoura, Blackburn, Travel Trac....there are many others.

I just found a sick deal on a new Cycleops Fluid2 through Bikeman. if you actually type in coupon code CXFLUID2 on their web site you get it for 220 plus free shipping! I'm psyched!

FalmouthMK5 said:
I just found a sick deal on a new Cycleops Fluid2 through Bikeman. if you actually type in coupon code CXFLUID2 on their web site you get it for 220 plus free shipping! I'm psyched!
Well now I'm jealous:(. I had to pay $240 for mine but I did carry it home, no wait.

FalmouthMK5 said:

I stumbled across your post. Good timing. Interested where you found the coupon code. Great price. I ordered one. Thanks.

FalmouthMK5 said:

I just stumbled across your post. Great deal on the trainer. I ordered one (good timing). Curious where you found the coupon code. Also interested in finding the Raceday & Force DVD's from Cycleops on sale. Thanks for the savings.