Bicycle Trainers

The computer integrated training bikes with built-in SRM's and are awesome. Same with the computer integrated turbo trainers that use your own road bike.

What makes them awesome?

Their computer enhanced ability to take you mind somewhere other than your garage, loft, basement or office. Racing other riders...riding famous courses...seeing at least some CGI scenery go by...awesome IMO.

Other than the screen in front of you, it's still sitting in a room somewhere with the cold, windswept, snow-covered road still outside your door.

Yeah, for numbers freaks, the Wattage and RPM and fake VAM and a dozen other numbers that are output give the user something to crunch and analyze, but those can be generated in a bunch of electronic devices and trainer units nowadays. Those numbers might help take the mind away from the brain numbing 'ride' any indoor trainer provides for some. For me...not so much.

Until I decide to get that sweet Tacx iGenius multi-player virtual reality device, I'm making due with a 20" box fan and laptop full of DVD's and race clips with my Stone Age technology rollers and fluid trainer...sad and pathetic winter existence that it is...

Welcome.

My 2 cents worth probably isn't worth dos centavos, but bicycles were never meant to be ridden indoors.

Well, maybe unless Vladimir Putin and the Emir of Abu Dhabi get together and build me a really sweet indoor theme park called, "Campy World", that is. Other than that, I want something...anything...to keep my brain from flatlining while making the wheels go 'round.

Rollers have their own challenge, but the 60" high-def stage of the Giro that's rolling in front of my face as I struggle to drop a doped Frank Schleck with the surround sound of the crowd cheering my name on the slopes of the Motorola cranked to 11? No comparison!

I keep telling myself that the $2-3K I would put into some super-trainer will buy me another acre or two of retirement dirt in Tennessee...

Looks like Colorado Cyclist stocked up on too many of these. Oops. I know nothing about them but that as some serious savings off retail.

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/product/item/TACTTN7Z?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=11/27/13

Good find, Dan. Colorado Cyclist are great folks.

Yes, HL. Retirement is barreling at me like that train light Wiley Coyote sees coming out of the pitch black tunnel!

www.ukturbotrainers.com sell some good bike trainers, I bought the Riva SPort Stealth Pro which is pretty good for the price.