bicycle tubing material, unbiased info please

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by cyclinglenny, Jun 16, 2003.

  1. cyclinglenny

    cyclinglenny New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2003
    I am writing an analytical report for my college english course and i was wondering if anyone out there has any good input...

    My topic is basically the different materials that bicycle frame may be built with... i am trying to stick to the basic 3, aluminum, steel, and titanium, but if i need more information, which i think i might, ill dip into carbon fiber, scandium alloys, etc..

    my report is going to be geared toward a ficitonal owner of a very wealthy bike shop who wants to buy alot of new bikes.. i would like to write my report to determine which material would be best for certain conditions. i have found some information, but i might not have the greatest resources...

    if anyone out there knows of a good book or has any good tips, or any good websites, etc.. i would love to find out..

    thanks,
    lenny

    Tags:

  2. "cyclinglenny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am writing an analytical report for my college english course and i was wondering if anyone out
    > there has any good input...
    >
    > My topic is basically the different materials that bicycle frame may be built with... i am trying
    > to stick to the basic 3, aluminum, steel, and titanium, but if i need more information, which i
    > think i might, ill dip into carbon fiber, scandium alloys, etc..
    >
    > my report is going to be geared toward a ficitonal owner of a very wealthy bike shop who wants to
    > buy alot of new bikes.. i would like to write my report to determine which material would be best
    > for certain conditions. i have found some information, but i might not have the greatest
    > resources...
    >
    > if anyone out there knows of a good book or has any good tips, or any good websites, etc.. i would
    > love to find out..
    >
    > thanks, lenny

    This might be a place to start: www.torelli.com/tech/material.shtml

  3. I have a tip for you. Try using your "shift" key.

    frank

    cyclinglenny <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am writing an analytical report for my college english course and i was wondering if anyone out
    > there has any good input...
    >
    > My topic is basically the different materials that bicycle frame may be built with... i am trying
    > to stick to the basic 3, aluminum, steel, and titanium, but if i need more information, which i
    > think i might, ill dip into carbon fiber, scandium alloys, etc..
    >
    > my report is going to be geared toward a ficitonal owner of a very wealthy bike shop who wants to
    > buy alot of new bikes.. i would like to write my report to determine which material would be best
    > for certain conditions. i have found some information, but i might not have the greatest
    > resources...
    >
    > if anyone out there knows of a good book or has any good tips, or any good websites, etc.. i would
    > love to find out..
    >
    > thanks, lenny

  4. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    so says the man who calls himself "frank"

    jon bond if it was good enough for e e cummings its good enough for me

    "Frank Dickerson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have a tip for you. Try using your "shift" key.
    >
    > frank
    >

    > cyclinglenny <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I am writing an analytical report for my college english course and i was wondering if anyone
    > > out there has any good input...
    > >
    > > My topic is basically the different materials that bicycle frame may be built with... i am
    > > trying to stick to the basic 3, aluminum, steel, and titanium, but if i need more information,
    > > which i think i might, ill dip into carbon fiber, scandium alloys, etc..
    > >
    > > my report is going to be geared toward a ficitonal owner of a very wealthy bike shop who wants
    > > to buy alot of new bikes.. i would like to write my report to determine which material would be
    > > best for certain conditions. i have found some information, but i might not have the greatest
    > > resources...
    > >
    > > if anyone out there knows of a good book or has any good tips, or any good websites, etc.. i
    > > would love to find out..
    > >
    > > thanks, lenny

  5. Walter Mitty

    Walter Mitty Guest

    "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> brightened my day with his incisive wit when in
    news:[email protected] he conjectured that:

    > so says the man who calls himself "frank"

    *LOL* - well spotted. Watch the top posting or frank will hand your ass back on a plate for
    that too :)

    --
    Walter Mitty.

  6. You might want to try the Bicycle Framebuilders List.

    You can both search their archives and ask questions.

    Lewis.

    cyclinglenny <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am writing an analytical report for my college english course and i was wondering if anyone out
    > there has any good input...
    >
    > My topic is basically the different materials that bicycle frame may be built with... i am trying
    > to stick to the basic 3, aluminum, steel, and titanium, but if i need more information, which i
    > think i might, ill dip into carbon fiber, scandium alloys, etc..
    >
    > my report is going to be geared toward a ficitonal owner of a very wealthy bike shop who wants to
    > buy alot of new bikes.. i would like to write my report to determine which material would be best
    > for certain conditions. i have found some information, but i might not have the greatest
    > resources...
    >
    > if anyone out there knows of a good book or has any good tips, or any good websites, etc.. i would
    > love to find out..
    >
    > thanks, lenny

  7. Jay Hill

    Jay Hill Guest

    Walter Mitty wrote:
    > "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> brightened my day with his incisive wit when in
    > news:[email protected] he conjectured that:
    >

    >>so says the man who calls himself "frank"
    >>

    > *LOL* - well spotted. Watch the top posting or frank will hand your ass back on a plate for
    > that too :)

    Except "frank" top posted as well.

    --
    A. Top posters
    B. What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

  8. On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 06:11:35 GMT, "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >if it was good enough for e e cummings its good enough for me

    Right. Because being forced to read e e cummings isn't the epitome of torture, or anything.

    Jasper

  9. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    >I am writing an analytical report for my college english course and i was wondering if anyone out
    >there has any good input...
    >
    >My topic is basically the different materials that bicycle frame may be built with... i am trying
    >to stick to the basic 3, aluminum, steel, and titanium, but if i need more information, which i
    >think i might, ill dip into carbon fiber, scandium alloys, etc..

    Scandium is an aluminum alloy, so that is not a new category. Carbon fiber should be added.

    >my report is going to be geared toward a ficitonal owner of a very wealthy bike shop who wants to
    >buy alot of new bikes.. i would like to write my report to determine which material would be best
    >for certain conditions. i have found some information, but i might not have the greatest
    >resources...

    It's not the material. It's how it is used.
    -----------------
    Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

  10. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

    On 17 Jun 2003 12:00:28 +0950, cyclinglenny <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I am writing an analytical report for my college english course and i was wondering if anyone out
    >there has any good input...

    Here's my unbiased info, frame material matters much less than tubing specifications. Tube diameter
    and wall thickness effect frame stiffness and weight, and by implication ride quality, much more
    than material. Then add rubber tires filled with air and the contribution of the frame is reduced to
    a seconday effect.

    Not what bike manufacturer's marketing departments want to hear.

  11. Walter Mitty <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> brightened my day with his incisive wit when in
    > news:[email protected] he conjectured that:
    >
    > > so says the man who calls himself "frank"
    > >

    > *LOL* - well spotted. Watch the top posting or frank will hand your ass back on a plate for
    > that too :)

    Top, bottom, I don't care! ...And I'm not referring to where you post.

    Anyhow, where you post ain't one of my pet peeves.

    frank

  12. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "Walter Mitty" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> brightened my day with his incisive wit when in
    > news:[email protected] he conjectured that:
    >
    > > so says the man who calls himself "frank"
    > >

    > *LOL* - well spotted. Watch the top posting or frank will hand your ass back on a plate for
    > that too :)
    >
    > --
    > Walter Mitty.

    I only top posted because Frank... er, excuse me - because frank top posted. Its a heck of a lot
    easier to follow a conversation if it sticks to one scheme rather than jumps back and forth a lot.
    Technically, I should move his post.... but I'm a lazy SOB.

    Jon Bond

  13. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "Jay Hill" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Walter Mitty wrote:
    > > "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> brightened my day with his incisive wit when in
    > > news:[email protected] he conjectured that:
    > >

    > >>so says the man who calls himself "frank"
    > >>

    > > *LOL* - well spotted. Watch the top posting or frank will hand your ass back on a plate for that
    > > too :)
    >
    > Except "frank" top posted as well.
    >

    > --

    > A. Top posters
    > Q. What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

    Hey, its just like Jeopardy!

    Jon Bond

  14. Rick Warner

    Rick Warner Guest

    cyclinglenny <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > if anyone out there knows of a good book or has any good tips, or any good websites, etc.. i would
    > love to find out..
    >
    > thanks, lenny

    I think what you have seen in the first few responses is indicative of the nature of the question:
    there is no such thing as 'unbiased' info on the topic. It is rife with personal prejudices, some
    based on experience. Someone has pointed you to the archive of the framebuilders list, but you will
    find that slanted, too, as that is mainly populated by folks who believe (rightly so, IMO) that
    steel is the best material. There really is no single answer, and design is overall more important
    than material. In the end biases are all you will find and your conclusions will be based on
    subjective rather than objective criteria. Will that be OK for your project.

    - rick warner

  15. cyclinglenny

    cyclinglenny New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2003
    ok, it seems like i should change my topic slightly..

    i just thought of an idea for a change to the paper.. you guys think it would make more sense if i took a couple different frames from each material from different compainies and compared them? and then i can show why one frame would be more ideal than the other.. that might work a bit better than what i had earlier..

    say, i took the cannondale aluminum track frame and compared it to a another track frame either made of steel or of aluminum that had a radiaclly different design.. hhmm.. think i must about this subject.. but i think if i compare a few specific frames from different companies i might have a better paper..

    thanks for the input guys..

    oh ya.. i expect that when i post a message on a forum i dont expect to get it graded or criticized by people who i thought would help me.. if you arent going to leave any useful input i would like it if you wouldnt leave anything at all..... no offense intended...

  16. > >my report is going to be geared toward a ficitonal owner of a very wealthy bike shop who wants to
    > >buy alot of new bikes.. i would like to write my report to determine which material would be best
    > >for certain conditions. i have found some information, but i might not have the greatest
    > >resources

    That is like buying fine art based on what brand oil paint was used, since Leonardo Davinci didn't
    use Windsor paints so he must be a loser, Kincaid uses Windsor so I'll buy his stuff instead.

  17. On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 12:00:28 +0950, cyclinglenny wrote:

    > my report is going to be geared toward a ficitonal owner of a very wealthy bike shop

    Yeah, that would be fiction.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. _`\(,_ | That is easy. All
    you have to do is tell them they are being (_)/ (_) | attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for
    lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any <country. --
    Hermann Goering

  18. Tim McNamara

    Tim McNamara Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 12:00:28 +0950, cyclinglenny wrote:
    >
    > > my report is going to be geared toward a ficitonal owner of a very wealthy bike shop
    >
    > Yeah, that would be fiction.

    The best way to make a small fortune by running a bike shop is to start with a large fortune.

  19. cyclinglenny <[email protected]> wrote in message news:

    > oh ya.. i expect that when i post a message on a forum i dont expect to get it graded or
    > criticized by people who i thought would help me.. if you arent going to leave any useful input i
    > would like it if you wouldnt leave anything at all..... no offense intended...

    Hey Lenny, you're in college now. This is the real world and the jerks here are far worse than
    anything you could have imagined in high school.

    Anyhow, my intent was NOT to be an a**hole towards you. I apologize if you thought that. My post
    came out a little gruff. However, I still strongly suggest you learn to use the shift key at the
    appropriate times, as well as spell/grammar check and proofread. I know, you're thinking you will on
    your paper, but how FREAKIN' hard is it to use a shift key on a usenet posting?? Bad habits will
    carry through. I don't know or care what college you're attending, but when I took college courses
    (eons ago) anything that remotely resembled what is now "instant messaging style text" would never
    receive a passing grade. I know you don't want or need a lecture from some old jerk you don't know
    or care anything about so I'll go away now and leave you to your research.