Bicycle Work Stands

paul43

Dec 29, 2006
I'm shopping for a "good" Work/Repair stand for home use. Tired of bending over and supporting the bike against the wall.

I have been leaning towards the Park PCS-10 due to the fact that it has "cam-lock" type levers for clamping and rotation.

Any opinions/suggestions or experience with a particular stand?

Thanks

paul43 said:
I'm shopping for a "good" Work/Repair stand for home use. Tired of bending over and supporting the bike against the wall.

I have been leaning towards the Park PCS-10 due to the fact that it has "cam-lock" type levers for clamping and rotation.

Thanks

No experience with Park stands. I use an Ultimate Pro stand which is muy stable and easy to setup, take down, work around, or whatever.

paul43 said:

Thanks
The Park PCS-10 has worked great for me - keeping up with my own repairs. It's sturdy and folds up pretty well. The one thing to watch for is the slip-lock at the bottom. If it is not tight and you move around a lot it can come out allowing the stand to lean.

paul43 said:

Thanks
It depends on what type of work you are going to be doing with the stand and also what type of bike you are going to be working on. For example, if you have a carbon fiber seatpost/frame or an Aluminum frame, you'll have to be more careful with a clamp-style stand. Some of the newer models support the bottom bracket and clamp to either the front or rear dropouts, but are also more expensive. If you're just doing basic work such as cable/housing replacement, chain cleaning, and minor brake/derailler adjustment almost any stand will do. If you're going to be doing some minor truing, then some of the stands come with a truing stand option. If you're doing wheel-building, I'd get a separate truing stand.

I have an Ultimate stand which I like a great deal. One issue I have had with the home use Park stands is that they are not as stable as the tripod style mount. I've bumped a bike in the PCS-1 and had the stand fall over backwards. Topeak makes some nice stands that are worth a look.

Got an Ultimate Pro stand and it works great for all of the bikes in my house - MTB, wife's comfort bike, my road bike and all but 1 (out of 4) of my kids' bikes.

alienator said:
No experience with Park stands. I use an Ultimate Pro stand which is muy stable and easy to setup, take down, work around, or whatever.
+1 on the Ultimate, had one all year it's a beautiful tool. Will even hold our tandem.

WheresWaldo said:
+1 on the Ultimate, had one all year it's a beautiful tool. Will even hold our tandem.
After reading all the posts/reviews from here and other places I've decided on the Ultimate Pro Elite repair stand. I like all the features and especially the well padded clamp, as I will be using this on a Carbon frame bike----now it's a matter of finding the best price.

Any ideas/sugestions?

Thanks

The only stand I've used is a consumer level Minoura. It was something like $69 at Nashbar a few years ago, and has changed my bike life muchly for the better. Check what size tubes it will clamp.... some fat MTN top tubes are almost beyond it's grasp. It's stable, it folds, has lasted in light duty for 4 years and counting, and was cheap.

I'm modifying mine to put a swing arm light on top, and then I can put it anywhere, and maybe see a little ; )

dreaming of riding almost anywhere else,

from Fairbanks,

j

I've been using the Park PCS-1 for a couple years. It works very well. I like all the adjustablity and it's stable enough to handle my 4 and 6 year old boys running around the basement.

paul43 said:
After reading all the posts/reviews from here and other places I've decided on the Ultimate Pro Elite repair stand. I like all the features and especially the well padded clamp, as I will be using this on a Carbon frame bike----now it's a matter of finding the best price.

Any ideas/sugestions?

Thanks
Good choice. My bike has never been cleaner or better maintained since I got mine!