Bicycled around Skaneateles Lake today (upstate NY)

tofergregg

Jun 11, 2006
Hi all,

I thought I'd write my first post to say "hi!" and to say that I've finally fulfilled a desire I've had since I was a kid, living on Skaneateles Lake in upstate NY (one of the finger lakes). I always wanted to bike around the lake, but I never had a good bike (although I suppose that shouldn't have stopped me!) and I never thought I was in good enough shape. Well, that changed today! I'm in town for my 16th (don't ask) high school reunion, and I decided to take the morning and make the ride. I just started getting into "bike shape" and competed in my first triathlon last weekend (a sprint, in the rain). Today was my longest ride so far (but short for most people, I'm sure).

The lake is 17 miles long, which makes a complete loop about 36 miles, with a bunch of hills (I'll feel it tomorrow). I missed a turn at the end of the lake, but luckily a nice woman rode up behind me and said she was going around the lake, too, so we rode together for most of the rest of the way. The whole trip ended up being about 40 miles, which was perfect. Yay!

-Tofer

tofergregg said:
Hi all,

I thought I'd write my first post to say "hi!" and to say that I've finally fulfilled a desire I've had since I was a kid, living on Skaneateles Lake in upstate NY (one of the finger lakes). I always wanted to bike around the lake, but I never had a good bike (although I suppose that shouldn't have stopped me!) and I never thought I was in good enough shape. Well, that changed today! I'm in town for my 16th (don't ask) high school reunion, and I decided to take the morning and make the ride. I just started getting into "bike shape" and competed in my first triathlon last weekend (a sprint, in the rain). Today was my longest ride so far (but short for most people, I'm sure).

The lake is 17 miles long, which makes a complete loop about 36 miles, with a bunch of hills (I'll feel it tomorrow). I missed a turn at the end of the lake, but luckily a nice woman rode up behind me and said she was going around the lake, too, so we rode together for most of the rest of the way. The whole trip ended up being about 40 miles, which was perfect. Yay!

-Tofer
That sounds awesome! My Grandparents used to own land on West Lake rd. and I spent a couple of summers there as a kid. I didn't know about cycling then, but it would be great to be up there with my bike now. I've lived in Dallas my whole life.

Has the lake and surrounding country changed much since the mid 70's ? (like the answer could be no :rolleyes:)

GrooveSlave said:
Has the lake and surrounding country changed much since the mid 70's ? (like the answer could be no :rolleyes:)

Well...yes, it has changed, but the town is still quaint, and the lake is still beautiful and clean. The west side is still rather sparsely populated, the east side has more houses, and the housing prices are through the roof. I'd urge a visit if you get the chance (and despite the hills, the bike ride around the lake is very nice).

-Tofer

tofergregg said:
Well...yes, it has changed, but the town is still quaint, and the lake is still beautiful and clean. The west side is still rather sparsely populated, the east side has more houses, and the housing prices are through the roof. I'd urge a visit if you get the chance (and despite the hills, the bike ride around the lake is very nice).

-Tofer
Thanks for the update. Just for grins, what's a decent house cost? :eek:

GrooveSlave said:
Thanks for the update. Just for grins, what's a decent house cost? :eek:

The average price for a house on the lake is around a million bucks. In town, you can get them for less. It is a bit scary.

-Tofer