Bicycles ONLY Island, fact or fiction?

kyperman

Aug 27, 2004
Has anyone ever heard of Mackinaw Island? It's a little island between upper and lower Michigan. I did a site and search it seems many of you are not aware of this little bicyclers paradise and I wanted to clue you in in case anyone was ever in the area and wanted a really unique experience.

Being from Michigan, this is one of those things that I almost have taken for granted, but since I have gotten back into the sport, I want to share this with you all.

My wife and I just got back from the Island yesterday, we were there on a little vacation weekend.

Geographically, the island is east of the Mackinaw bridge and can be reached via ferry boat or SMALL airplane. As I said, it's between the upper and lower peninsala's of Michigan.

Historically, the island was a British stronghold before and during the American revolution and still hold many of the traits of that era including a fort and many homes of that style and time.

Once on the island, the only way to get around is horse and buggy or bicycles. Bikes can be brought with you on the ferrys or rented on the island. There is an 8 paved "road" around the island and a 4 mile road through the center of the island leading to many interesting historical sites and rock formations. For anyone intererested, there is also a WORLD CLASS hotel called the "Grand Hotel" on the island. Not cheap, but sure to please. A "Sports Illistrated swimsuit editon" was shot here a few years ago.

For any of you folks concerned about the environment, this is modern day case study in how we can get along without cars. Here are a couple of links.

http://www.mackinac.com/
http://www.grandhotel.com/

Been to Mackinaw. Enjoy the fudge...and the constant spell of horse urine. :p

the grand hotel was featured in the sappy "somewhere in time" w/ Christopher reeve and jane seymour (HHOOTT!!), i believe, but they allowed cars for the movie.

i DO remember a vacation when i was a child, going there; we rode a very "bouncy" boat ride to the island, saw the horse/buggy transport, and i especially remember the QUIET of the place -- an out-of-time peaceful air....

40 years ago, and i can still feel the place.

gravelmuncher said:
Not sure if it's "bikes only", but isn't Hamilton Island (QLD) car free also??

gm
nearly, lots of golf carts every where...

I lived on Lamma Island in the New Territories of Hong Kong in the late 90s and there were no cars as such, but lots of bikes ( especially MTBs on weekends) for the locals & expats commuters going to the ferry, and these little motorised carts like a park bench on wheels with a small generator motor, (used for builders materials and heavy deliveries) and a little Noddy style fire Engine and Ambulance...even the HKPolice rode bicycles or walked everywhere... 'twas and is one of the coolest places to hang out in Asia...

Great scenery, but even better fudge. I went as a teenager, and will take my two boys when they are old enough to totally enjoy it.