Bicycles to be kept at a vacation cabin

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by cldwingnut, Dec 13, 2009.

1. cldwingnut

cldwingnut New Member

Hello,
    My family spends about 1 or 2 weaks every summer at a cabin in N MN that has been in my wifes family for generaitions. There are miles of gorgous trails there and my wife and I love to ride our Trek hybrids at home. The thing is that by the time the family car is loaded up taking our bikes with us is just not going to happen. But I saw these on the um Walmart (ducking to avoid the lightning bolt) site.

Walmart.com: 26" Men's Huffy Cranbrook Cruiser Bike, Champagne: Bikes, Scooters & Skates

Walmart.com: Huffy 26" Women's Cranbrook Fashion Cruiser: Bikes, Scooters & Skates

The idea is that they would be left at the cabin in the garage for 50 to 51 weeks of the year so we don't want to spend a lot of money or get something that will end up stolen. The bikes would be lucky to be ridden 20 to 30 miles a year. I know you will say look for used and there is a bike shop there that we will check for to see what they have used but last year they were picked completly clean and usually are the time of year we are there. So the options are unless we get lucky at the LBS are to go this route or something similar or just keep enjoying the few miles of trail by walking.

Thanks

Tags:

2. Scotty_Dog

Scotty_Dog New Member

Did you have a question or are you just stating facts?

3. cldwingnut

cldwingnut New Member

I was trying to ask are these bikes worth the near 200 bucks to buy two of them for this purpose or are we better off just walking the trails and waiting till we get home to enjoy our bikes again?

4. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

IMO, if you are fairly sure that you will only ride the bikes 20-to-30 miles in a two week period, then I would suggest that you do NOT buy the bikes.

If you thought you were going to ride the bikes 5-to-10 miles a day for 5-to-7 days of the stay, then I would say that they are probably a good bike for you to buy-and-use for the time you spend at your cabin.

If you do buy the bikes, remember to bring a pump OR leave one with the bikes!

5. cyberlegend1994

cyberlegend1994 Moderator

IMHO, you're better off looking on Craigslist than buying from Walmart if a new one is over your budget. I got my first roadie from someone on Craigslist, no problems other than routine maintenance and one stuck pedal that required using a heat gun and a big giant cone wrench to remove.

6. Scotty_Dog

Scotty_Dog New Member

I'll break from the norm and say that if the terrain is fairly flat, these should be adequate for what you have described.