Bicycles to power internet link

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike Kruger

BAN PHON KHAM, Laos -- Villagers in this jungle hamlet have lived for years without electricity or
telephones, ...

But soon many of its residents will be jumping on stationary bikes to pedal their way onto the
Information Superhighway.

Custom-built computers--running on bicycle-powered generators--will transport villagers from rice
fields to chat rooms and Web sites worldwide...

They connect to the Internet with a radio network and are powered by hulking batteries attached to
stationary bicycles imported from India. One minute of pedaling yields five minutes of power.

full story at:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/technology/chi-0302140069feb14,1,6737242.story

--
Mike Kruger Yukon dream of living in the north but it isn't worth Aleutian sleep about
it.

>"Mike Kruger" [email protected]

wrote in part:

>Custom-built computers--running on bicycle-powered generators--will transport villagers from rice
>fields to chat rooms and Web sites worldwide...

I assume then that not only will spamming become a capital offense.... "I pedaled my butt off for
THIS?!?!?".... but top posting and improper quoting in NGs will be punishable by long prison
terms. <g>

Regards, Bob Hunt

On 18 Feb 2003 01:40:14 GMT, [email protected] (Hunrobe) wrote:

>>Custom-built computers--running on bicycle-powered generators--will transport villagers from rice
>>fields to chat rooms and Web sites worldwide...

>I assume then that not only will spamming become a capital offense.... "I pedaled my butt off for
>THIS?!?!?".... but top posting and improper quoting in NGs will be punishable by long prison
>terms. <g>

Yes! There _is_ a God!

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
dynamic DNS permitting)
NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
work. Apologies.

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> On 18 Feb 2003 01:40:14 GMT, [email protected] (Hunrobe) wrote:
>
> >>Custom-built computers--running on bicycle-powered generators--will transport villagers from
> >>rice fields to chat rooms and Web sites worldwide...
>
> >I assume then that not only will spamming become a capital offense.... "I pedaled my butt off for
> >THIS?!?!?".... but top posting and improper quoting in NGs will be punishable by long prison
> >terms. <g>
>
> Yes! There _is_ a God!

Three Persons, one God, two Wheels. Miracles never cease.

-Luigi How many angels can trackstand on the head of a pin?

Status
Not open for further replies.