Road Cycling · Public discussion

Bicycling for Work

Started by Red Cloud · · Last activity · 111 posts · 3,297 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
18 April 2004
Last activity
3 May 2004
Original author
Red Cloud
Posts
111
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,297
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 111
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. In article <nPwgc.166025$JO3.97096@attbi_s04>,
    [email hidden] says...

    ...

    Quoted message said:

    Laugh at Americans in their ridiculous gas-hogging SUV's.
    Go ahead and laugh at them. They deserve ridicule.

    Indeed, we do!

    --
    Dave Kerber Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return
    address before replying!

    REAL programmers write self-modifying code.

  2. Mark Hickey said:

    I've seen some incredibly heavy people on bikes - some who
    I would expect to have trouble walking (at least very
    far). It's nearly the perfect workout for them since
    they're not damaging their already overloaded joints.
    There is one particular very, very heavy woman I passed on
    my regular ride - she would ride a heavy upright bike on
    the sidewalk at a very, very slow pace. As the months went
    by, she lost probably 50 pounds (22kg) and got faster. I
    haven't seen her for a while (my schedule changed), but I
    wouldn't be surprised to see her riding faster (and
    thinner).

    Perhaps bike clubs could work with cities, parks and rec
    depts., YMCA/YWCA, etc., to plan easy routes for new
    cyclists who are very unfit. It's easy to forget how even
    the slightest hill can be a major obstacle for some people
    -- they even feel the tiny grades designed into "flat"
    streets for drainage purposes. Around here it would be quite
    a challenge to plan such a route because it's so hilly. But
    I'm sure it could be done somewhere, even if it's a parking
    lot or a soccer field. Of course, this is one of the key
    "selling points" of rail-trails, but not all communities
    have them.

    Most bike clubs have a collection of progressively harder
    rides, that one can move "up" with. But the easiest ones are
    still way too advanced for non-enthusiasts. Perhaps we could
    extend this ladder all the way down to the most basic level,
    so anyone who can roll around a flat parking lot has a
    starting point, and a path for improvement.

    Matt O.

  3. Quoted message said:

    Anyone uses bike going to work???

    I do. Have been for nearly forty years.

    Quoted message said:

    I don't know if a car addicted American can leave their
    addiction at home and ride bicycle.

    A lot of them have a very long commute to work, perhaps
    thirty miles or more. That makes for a long bicycle ride.

    Quoted message said:

    About 20% of Americans people are physically unable to
    ride bicycle because they are too fat.

    I can believe the 20% figure, but not the explanation that
    they are too fat. Lack of balance and poor co-ordination are
    much worse hindrances than fat.

  4. There's an article in this Month's Rolling Stone about
    Neil Young using biodisel in all his tour busses...
    full respect..

    Mike

    "Rocketman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:nPwgc.166025$JO3.97096@attbi_s04...

    Quoted message said:

    "mark" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:mJwg-
    [email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Red Cloud" wrote ...

    Quoted message said:

    Anyone uses bike going to work??? Gas price is all
    time time now. Perhpas it's best time to ride bicycle
    to work.

    I love it when Americans grumble about the high price of
    gas. Let's see, regular gas in the Denver area is $1.70
    - $1.90 per US gallon (~3.8


    liters),

    Quoted message said:

    and in my corner of Colorado it's $1.80 -$2.00. Would
    any British


    readers

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    like to give us an update on the price of gas in their
    corner of the


    world?

    Quoted message said:

    --
    mark

    A few weeks ago when I was in the Czech Republic,
    gasoline was about $3.30/gal (22.5 korunas/L). It's
    probably higher now.

    I was happy and amazed to see that many fuel stations in
    CZ also sell biodiesel. It's comical to me that in the US,
    only a few researchers and activists have even
    *experimented* with using biodiesel. In CZ, it's already a
    commodity.

    Laugh at Americans in their ridiculous gas-hogging SUV's.
    Go ahead and laugh at them. They deserve ridicule.

    R

  5. LioNiNoiL_a t_NetscapE_D 0 T_NeT said:

    A lot of them have a very long commute to work, perhaps
    thirty miles or more. That makes for a long bicycle ride.

    I've met several people who ride that far to work every day.

    For 3 months, I did about 30 miles round-trip. It took the
    same time as driving at rush hour, but it was a lot more
    pleasant. Great way for a time-strapped businessperson to
    get some miles in, too.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    About 20% of Americans people are physically unable to
    ride bicycle because they are too fat.

    I can believe the 20% figure, but not the explanation that
    they are too fat. Lack of balance and poor co-ordination
    are much worse hindrances than fat.

    Most adults can ride a bicycle with no problem. It's the
    hills they have trouble with, and being fat makes it worse.

    Matt O.

  6. "Mark Hickey" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    There is one particular very, very heavy woman I passed on
    my regular ride - she would ride a heavy upright bike on
    the sidewalk at a very, very slow pace. As the months went
    by, she lost probably 50 pounds (22kg) and got faster. I
    haven't seen her for a while (my schedule changed), but I
    wouldn't be surprised to see her riding faster (and
    thinner).

    I was going to post about a woman I used to see on my way to
    work. She was coming the other way, and there was only a
    brief section where we'd pass each other, if at all.

    When I first started seeing her, she had a department store
    mountain bike, wore big sweatpants, and a huge yellow rain
    slicker, and she was probably about 35 or so pounds
    overweight, maybe more. As the months went by, the
    sweatpants turned into lyrca bike tights and shorts. The
    bike changed to an older used road bike. The woman slimmed
    down too. She still wore the yellow slicker, though, on
    rainy days.

    After about a year and a half, I don't see her any more, but
    I like to imagine other changes that happened to her with
    the changes happened to her body when she rode that bike to
    work every day. I like to imagine her finding a better
    boyfriend. I like to imagine that I don't see her any more
    because she got a better job, and is riding a different way
    to work nowadays. Maybe she's upgraded the bike yet again.
    Maybe I'll be riding one day, and I'll see a muscular black
    woman on a cool looking bike, wearing a big yellow slicker,
    and I'll know it's her.

    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky Please replace earthlink for mouse-potato
    and .net for .com Home of the meditative cyclist:
    home.earthlink.netWelcome.htm See the
    books I've set free at:
    bookcrossing.comCpetersky

  7. "Red Cloud" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Anyone uses bike going to work??? Gas price is all time
    time now. Perhpas it's best time to ride bicycle to work.
    I don't know if a car addicted American can leave their
    addiction at home and ride bicycle. About 20% of Americans
    people are physically unable to ride bicycle because they
    are too fat.

    I commute by bike every day and have for years, even when
    gas was much cheaper. With the air quality around here
    (southern California) I wish that a lot more people commuted
    by bicycle.

    I hope that gas prices continue to rise. I'd like to see the
    day when not everybody is driving an extra large gas
    guzzling truck just to commute to work or go buy groceries.
    I especially hate smelly diesels. Why do they seem to be so
    popular now?

    Jeff

  8. Red Cloud said:

    Anyone uses bike going to work??? Gas price is all time
    time now. Perhpas it's best time to ride bicycle to work.
    I don't know if a car addicted American can leave their
    addiction at home and ride bicycle. About 20% of Americans
    people are physically unable to ride bicycle because they
    are too fat.

    +-------------------+ .:\:\:/:/:.
    | PLEASE DO NOT | :.:\:\:/:/:.:
    | FEED THE TROLLS | :=.' - - '.=:
    | | '=(\ 9 9 /)='
    | Thank you, | ( (_) )
    | Management | /`-vvv-'\
    +-------------------+ / \
    | | @@@ / /|,,,,,|\ \ @@@ /_// /^\
    | | \\_\
    @x@@x@ | | |/ WW( ( ) )WW \||||/ | | \| __\,,\ /,,/__
    \||/ | | | (______Y______) /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\//\/\\/\/\/\-
    /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | More people object to wearing fur than leather
    because it is _`\(,_ | safer to harass rich white women
    than motorcycle gangs. (_)/ (_) |

  9. Jeff Goble said:

    "Red Cloud" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Anyone uses bike going to work??? Gas price is all time
    time now. Perhpas it's best time to ride bicycle to work.
    I don't know if a car addicted American can leave their
    addiction at home and ride bicycle. About 20% of
    Americans people are physically unable to ride bicycle
    because they are too fat.

    I commute by bike every day and have for years, even when
    gas was much cheaper. With the air quality around here
    (southern California) I wish that a lot more people
    commuted by bicycle.

    I hope that gas prices continue to rise. I'd like to see
    the day when not everybody is driving an extra large gas
    guzzling truck just to commute to work or go buy groceries.
    I especially hate smelly diesels. Why do they seem to be so
    popular now?

    Because they are cheaper to operate, simply stated. I sure
    miss my Mercedes 300CD over here. The typical VW diesel gets
    around 49 MPG and diesel is always cheaper than at least the
    mid-grade of gasoline. There are no spark plugs or ignition
    system to speak of and they just run forever. The Mercedes
    300 series is usually described as "indestructible" and a
    life-span of a half a million miles is not unusual.

    Michael J. Klein Please replace mousepotato with
    asiancastings

  10. "mark" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "Red Cloud" wrote ...

    Quoted message said:

    Anyone uses bike going to work??? Gas price is all
    time time now. Perhpas it's best time to ride bicycle
    to work.

    I love it when Americans grumble about the high price of
    gas. Let's see, regular gas in the Denver area is $1.70 -
    $1.90 per US gallon (~3.8 liters), and in my corner of
    Colorado it's $1.80 -$2.00. Would any British readers like
    to give us an update on the price of gas in their corner
    of the world?

    British don't worry about Gasoline price since they are not
    that too depend on gasoline like here we Americans do.
    Americans don't understand why European don't depend on car
    like American do. Let the british price be $6/gallon. They
    can ride bike anywhere not like American where most
    American can't go supermarket without using gasoline.

  11. In article
    <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    "Red Cloud" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Anyone uses bike going to work??? Gas price is all time
    time now. Perhpas it's best time to ride bicycle to
    work. I don't know if a car addicted American can leave
    their addiction at home and ride bicycle. About 20% of
    Americans people are physically unable to ride bicycle
    because they are too fat.

    I commute by bike every day and have for years, even when
    gas was much cheaper. With the air quality around here
    (southern California) I wish that a lot more people
    commuted by bicycle.

    I hope that gas prices continue to rise. I'd like to see
    the day when not everybody is driving an extra large gas
    guzzling truck just to commute to work or go buy
    groceries. I especially hate smelly diesels. Why do they
    seem to be so popular now?

    Because they get much better mileage than gas engines, and
    require less routine maintenance.

    --
    Remove the ns_ from if replying by e-mail (but keep posts in
    the newsgroups if possible).

  12. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:
    LioNiNoiL_a t_NetscapE_D 0 T_NeT said:

    A lot of them have a very long commute to work,
    perhaps thirty miles or more. That makes for a long
    bicycle ride.

    I've met several people who ride that far to work
    every day.

    For 3 months, I did about 30 miles round-trip. It took the
    same time as driving at rush hour, but it was a lot more
    pleasant. Great way for a time-strapped businessperson to
    get some miles in, too.

    I think he meant 30 miles each way, not round trip.

    ....

    --
    Remove the ns_ from if replying by e-mail (but keep posts in
    the newsgroups if possible).

  13. David Kerber said:

    I think he meant 30 miles each way, not round trip.

    I know he did. But as I pointed out, some people ride even
    further than that:

    bikecommute.combike.html

    Matt O.

  14. On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 03:27:33 GMT, in rec.bicycles.misc you wrote:

    <SNIP>

    Quoted message said:

    After about a year and a half, I don't see her any more,
    but I like to imagine other changes that happened to her
    with the changes happened to her body when she rode that
    bike to work every day. I like to imagine her finding a
    better boyfriend. I like to imagine that I don't see her
    any more because she got a better job, and is riding a
    different way to work nowadays. Maybe she's upgraded the
    bike yet again. Maybe I'll be riding one day, and I'll see
    a muscular black woman on a cool looking bike, wearing a
    big yellow slicker, and I'll know it's her.


    <SNIP>

    Claire, why would her losing weight equate to her getting a
    better boyfriend (or girlfriend if that's her particular
    bent...)? I'm overweight and have had pretty fair luck in
    girlfriends over the years and I'd like to think that just
    because I lost some weight I wouldn't "trade up" to someone
    that wouldn't have had me when I was 20 lbs heavier! Talk
    about shallow, to let weight decide who you will date!

    Mike, riding for fun, loosing weight is just a nice
    side benefit.

  15. Mark Hickey said:
    Dre said:

    About 20% of Americans people are physically unable to
    ride bicycle because they are too fat.

    There are certainly a lot of Americans that are incapable
    of riding a bike because of weight, but I don't believe
    it's anywhere NEAR 20%. Is there any evidence to support
    that statistic?

    Well, I'd say you'd have to be a farther outlier from obese
    to probably something like 'morbidly obese' to dis-qualify
    oneself. [1] You can be pretty unfit and still manage to
    ride a bicycle.

    As for general obesity figures, hey, we're doing better
    than the Samoans... Great Britain seems to hard on our
    heels though.

    suntimes.comcst nws
    worldchart02.html

    [1] What is the official difference between obese and
    morbidly obese?

    --
    Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
    "Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the show?"

  16. "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email hidden]> wrote
    in message

    Quoted message said:

    Even before we start


    invading people for oil.

    Haven't you started already? Aren't there any British
    troops in Iraq?

    Dave

  17. On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 03:21:01 -0700, "Raoul Duke"
    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Even before we start


    invading people for oil.

    Quoted message said:

    Haven't you started already? Aren't there any British
    troops in Iraq?

    We have indeed. That has wiped out any chance of the
    revenues from motoring covering the costs to the economy for
    another decade or so at least. Which was my point.

    --
    Guy
    ===
    May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after
    posting. chapmancentral.co.ukchapmancentral.co.uk

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
    Washington University

  18. "mark" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Red Cloud" wrote ...

    Quoted message said:

    Anyone uses bike going to work??? Gas price is all
    time time now. Perhpas it's best time to ride bicycle
    to work.

    I love it when Americans grumble about the high price of
    gas. Let's see, regular gas in the Denver area is $1.70 -
    $1.90 per US gallon (~3.8


    liters),

    Quoted message said:

    and in my corner of Colorado it's $1.80 -$2.00. Would any
    British readers like to give us an update on the price of
    gas in their corner of the


    world?

    Quoted message said:

    --
    mark


    It's not the price of gasoline that's so expensive in
    Europe, it's the price of taxes, they pay about the same for
    crude oil that the U.S. does. It's their own government
    that's ripping them off, something for Americans to remember
    when you vote next November.

  19. Just a point to note. About 10-12 years ago the big 3
    started a joint venture R&D effort called USCAR. It was
    supposed to come up with the definition of the US car of the
    future - fuel efficient, environmentally acceptable and lots
    of other things. They studied fuel cells, methanol, ethanol,
    natural gas, propane, hydrogen, etc, and do you know what
    they came up with?

    Diesel

    An awesome solution except for a few minor details - 1.
    still leaves America dependent on the same old sources of
    energy. 2. In spite of best available emisson control
    technologies, the public doesn't like the smell.

    Where is USCAR today - anybody know?

    I'm sure glad my bike emits only mud emissions. And even
    then, only on certain trails.

    ;-)

    Sniffinvinyl

    "Jeff Goble" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Red Cloud" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Anyone uses bike going to work??? Gas price is all time
    time now. Perhpas it's best time to ride bicycle to
    work. I don't know if a car addicted American can leave
    their addiction at home and ride bicycle. About 20% of
    Americans people are physically unable to ride bicycle
    because they are too fat.

    I commute by bike every day and have for years, even when
    gas was much cheaper. With the air quality around here
    (southern California) I wish


    that

    Quoted message said:

    a lot more people commuted by bicycle.

    I hope that gas prices continue to rise. I'd like to see
    the day when not everybody is driving an extra large gas
    guzzling truck just to commute to work or go buy
    groceries. I especially hate smelly diesels. Why do they
    seem to be so popular now?

    Jeff

  20. oooo I think Helen has got you there. What do you want cheap
    gas or a future planet for your prodigy?

    As usual us Canadians are in the middle - our gas prices are
    higher than US and lower than UK. Never can make up our
    minds who we want to more like . . .

    As someone who is in the energy business I think its too
    cheap and not so oil patch can make more money. Its too
    cheap because its irreplaceable, it causes harmful
    emissions, it renders us dependent on foreign countries with
    their political instabilities, it makes us fat and lazy and
    none of this is reflected in the prices we are paying today.

    Maybe there are more issues than just price to think about
    at election time.

    Sniffinvinyl

    "dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers"
    <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:20040419152238.24980.00000025@mb-
    m25.aol.com...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    It's not the price of gasoline that's so expensive in
    Europe, it's the


    price

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    of taxes, they pay about the same for crude oil that the
    U.S. does.


    It's

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    their own government that's ripping them off, something
    for Americans to remember when you vote next November.

    Indeed we do pay more in tax than on t'other side of the
    pond. Of course,


    there

    Quoted message said:

    is the point that we aren't paying too much (tax money has
    to come from somewhere to provide public services and
    things like our National Health Services) and there is an
    argument that has some merit that on the


    American

    Quoted message said:

    side of the pond, you are paying too little, especially in
    terms of paying


    for

    Quoted message said:

    the cost of damage to the world-wide environment in terms
    of climate


    change.

    Quoted message said:


    Cheers, helen s

    --This is an invalid email address to avoid spam-- to get
    correct one remove fame & fortune
    h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

    --Due to financial crisis the light at the end of the
    tunnel is switched


    off--

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.