Bicycling Guatemala....

Bike Rider

Guest
Hi folks!
I have been planning a cycling trip across Guatemala in
November/December this year and thought I'd see if anyone else has
done it. It's a charity ride and although I have been to Guatemala a
few times I have never ridden a bike there. Ideally I'd like to avoid
going through Guatemala City.

Has anyone here cycled the country before?

Many thanks!
JC

I met a Japanese cycling in Scotland about 4 years ago and he was well into
cycling around the world.
He said that his favourite countries up to that, were Mexico and Guatamala.

On Fri, 7 May 2004 07:19:18 +0100, "Gearóid Ó Laoi/Garry Lee" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I met a Japanese cycling in Scotland about 4 years ago and he was well into
>cycling around the world.
>He said that his favourite countries up to that, were Mexico and Guatamala.

Interesting. I'd be afraid to even venture into those countries based on
their rep. (crooked cops, kidnappers, vagabonds)

-B

Badger_South wrote:
> On Fri, 7 May 2004 07:19:18 +0100, "Gearóid Ó Laoi/Garry Lee"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I met a Japanese cycling in Scotland about 4 years ago and he was
>> well into cycling around the world.
>> He said that his favourite countries up to that, were Mexico and
>> Guatamala.
>>

> Interesting. I'd be afraid to even venture into those countries based
> on their rep. (crooked cops, kidnappers, vagabonds)

As a bike tourist, you can try to fit in with the vagabonds, so the crooked cops
and kidnappers will leave you alone.

Matt O.

On Sat, 08 May 2004 18:52:42 GMT, "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Badger_South wrote:
>> On Fri, 7 May 2004 07:19:18 +0100, "Gearóid Ó Laoi/Garry Lee"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> I met a Japanese cycling in Scotland about 4 years ago and he was
>>> well into cycling around the world.
>>> He said that his favourite countries up to that, were Mexico and
>>> Guatamala.
>>>

>> Interesting. I'd be afraid to even venture into those countries based
>> on their rep. (crooked cops, kidnappers, vagabonds)

>As a bike tourist, you can try to fit in with the vagabonds, so the crooked cops
>and kidnappers will leave you alone.
>
>Matt O.

OMG, so the vagabonds are now wearing spandex? Who knew?! ;-p

-B

In article <[email protected]>,
Badger_South <[email protected]> writes:

> OMG, so the vagabonds are now wearing spandex? Who knew?! ;-p

But it's scruffy-looking.

cheers,
Tom