Bicycling in Cold Weather

I want to bicycle at casual speed for 5 to 10 hours a day in
temperatures 20F-35F. How should I dress? This is what I think:

1. Wicking base layer
2. 100 wt fleece top
3. Waterproof shell
4. Midweight running tights
5. Warm streamlined winter boot/shoes
6. Woll socks
7. Fleece hat
8. Windproof gloves

Is this ok? I don't want to freeze and I want to have a comfortable,
painless ride.

10 Dec 2004 21:20:24 -0800,
<[email protected]>,
[email protected] wrote:

>I want to bicycle at casual speed for 5 to 10 hours a day in
>temperatures 20F-35F. How should I dress? This is what I think:
>
>1. Wicking base layer
>2. 100 wt fleece top
>3. Waterproof shell
>4. Midweight running tights
>5. Warm streamlined winter boot/shoes
>6. Woll socks
>7. Fleece hat
>8. Windproof gloves
>
>Is this ok? I don't want to freeze and I want to have a comfortable,
>painless ride.

If the "waterproof" shell isn't ventilated or breathable it might not
be comfortable. Make sure it doesn't get stiff when frozen.

Consider carrying lightweight warm-up pants for wind breaking or when
you're off the bike.

Finger tips and toes can get uncomfortably cold. You need extra room
in your shoes for heavy socks. If you're unaccustomed to temperatures
in the lower end of that range you might appreciate mittens.

Dressing in layers let's you fine tune for comfort but you can't add
layers you don't have. If you're comfortable wearing everything you've
got while actively pedalling, you can get real cold real fast trying
to change a flat.
--
zk

[email protected] wrote:

>I want to bicycle at casual speed for 5 to 10 hours a day in
>temperatures 20F-35F. How should I dress? This is what I think:
>
>1. Wicking base layer
>2. 100 wt fleece top
>3. Waterproof shell
>4. Midweight running tights
>5. Warm streamlined winter boot/shoes
>6. Woll socks
>7. Fleece hat
>8. Windproof gloves
>
>Is this ok? I don't want to freeze and I want to have a comfortable,
>painless ride.

I hope "comfortable and painless" indicates you're also not planning
on getting much of a workout. If I were to dress like that for a 35
degree F (2 degree C) ride, I'd be "comfortable" for about the first
couple hundred revolutions of the crank, after which I'd be in serious
danger of overheating (which isn't comfortable or painless).

My own experience is that if you're comfortable for the first half
mile (1 km) you're overdressed. This assumes that you're riding hard
enough to generate quite a bit of heat.

FWIW, last time I did a ride in that temperature range I wore shorts
and a short sleeve jersey, with half-finger gloves. My fingers did
get a little cold though. ;-)

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 08:39:00 -0700, Mark Hickey <[email protected]>
wrote:

>FWIW, last time I did a ride in that temperature range I wore shorts
>and a short sleeve jersey, with half-finger gloves. My fingers did
>get a little cold though. ;-)
>
>Mark Hickey

Beware of taking cold weather gear advice from someone located in
Florida.

I'll never understand why people think it is impressive to be under
dressed in cold weather. Wearing shorts and a short sleeve jersey in
temps of the range 20F - 35F is just silly.

For the Op, you should do some shorter rides, if possible and make
some adjustments, as you personally see fit. What works for some does
not work for everyone. I have found if my hands, feet, and/or head are
cold, I'm miserable. Consider some those disposable toe warmers for
the feet. They sure do work for me.

Life is Good!
Jeff

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I want to bicycle at casual speed for 5 to 10 hours a day in
> temperatures 20F-35F. How should I dress? This is what I think:
>
> 1. Wicking base layer
> 2. 100 wt fleece top
> 3. Waterproof shell
> 4. Midweight running tights
> 5. Warm streamlined winter boot/shoes
> 6. Woll socks
> 7. Fleece hat
> 8. Windproof gloves
>
> Is this ok? I don't want to freeze and I want to have a comfortable,
> painless ride.

It sounds perhaps a little light for that duration, at least for the lower
temperature end, but pretty close.

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 16:55:20 GMT, Peter Cole
<[email protected]> wrote:

> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> I want to bicycle at casual speed for 5 to 10 hours a day in
>> temperatures 20F-35F. How should I dress? This is what I think:
>>
>> 1. Wicking base layer
>> 2. 100 wt fleece top
>> 3. Waterproof shell
>> 4. Midweight running tights
>> 5. Warm streamlined winter boot/shoes
>> 6. Woll socks
>> 7. Fleece hat
>> 8. Windproof gloves
>>
>> Is this ok? I don't want to freeze and I want to have a comfortable,
>> painless ride.

> It sounds perhaps a little light for that duration, at least for the
> lower
> temperature end, but pretty close.

OK, I am serious now. Get dressed as above then ride about 5 miles near
home and find out what your thermal balance is. I usually find that after
a few miles of pedaling I am overdressed and it is nice to be able to stop
at home and drop off the excess clothing. Just don't ride to far from a
warm place, in case your bike breaks and you can no longer keep up the
balance of heat generated versus insulation needed. Five miles should get
your metabolism to where it will be for the rest of the ride. Experiment,
but try to err on the safe side.

--
Bill (?) Baka

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 08:39:00 -0700, Mark Hickey wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>
>>I want to bicycle at casual speed for 5 to 10 hours a day in
>>temperatures 20F-35F. How should I dress? This is what I think:

> FWIW, last time I did a ride in that temperature range I wore shorts
> and a short sleeve jersey, with half-finger gloves. My fingers did
> get a little cold though. ;-)

Mark, did you really write that? Either you have less common sense
than I or you weren't thinking!

Folks don't listen to this guy for cold weather advice you'll end up
with pneumonia.

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry [email protected]
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ (Text only)

Bill Baka wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 16:55:20 GMT, Peter Cole
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> <[email protected]> wrote in message

news:[email protected]...
>>> I want to bicycle at casual speed for 5 to 10 hours a

day in
>>> temperatures 20F-35F. How should I dress? This is what I

think:

>>> 1. Wicking base layer
>>> 2. 100 wt fleece top
>>> 3. Waterproof shell
>>> 4. Midweight running tights
>>> 5. Warm streamlined winter boot/shoes
>>> 6. Woll socks
>>> 7. Fleece hat
>>> 8. Windproof gloves
>>>
>>> Is this ok? I don't want to freeze and I want to have a

comfortable,
>>> painless ride.

>> It sounds perhaps a little light for that duration, at

least for the
>> lower
>> temperature end, but pretty close.
>>

> OK, I am serious now. Get dressed as above then ride about

5 miles
> near home and find out what your thermal balance is. I

usually find
> that after a few miles of pedaling I am overdressed and it

is nice to
> be able to stop at home and drop off the excess clothing.

Just don't
> ride to far from a warm place, in case your bike breaks

and you can
> no longer keep up the balance of heat generated versus

insulation
> needed. Five miles should get your metabolism to where it

will be for
> the rest of the ride. Experiment, but try to err on the

safe side.

Bill and I are in agreement here.
I like to have some place to put layers I might need to take
off (like a rack trunk), so I am sure I won't be too cold.
If you are too warm, you will sweat more than you'd like to
until you open some zippers or shed a layer. If you are too
cold, you can get hypothermia on a long ride. It's not an
even trade.

Your list seems fine, although I can't tell about the
gloves. Mittens are warmer: I have a two piece pair that's
wool inside for warmth and leather outside for wind. As
another poster suggested, light nylon warmup pants can
provide an extra measure of warmth if needed.

--
Mike Kruger
"So class, who can tell me how much of our genetic code we

Unless you're expecting rain - I'd suggest a windproof (but breathable)
top - they are much better at letting sweat escape than the best of
'breathable' waterproofs.

I'd also sugget taking some extra clothing if you're going anywhere
remote. Even tho' you might be plenty warm enough when riding - if
anything forces you to stop (mechanical trouble, punctures, etc.) -
you'll cool off very rapidly.

Kirby

<[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse
news:[email protected]...
>I want to bicycle at casual speed for 5 to 10 hours a day in
> temperatures 20F-35F. How should I dress?

I regularly ride in temperatures like that - though rarely for more than
three hours. But I did ride 200 km at about 0 C 18 months ago, so I do have
some experience.

I would (and did) bring with me one spare pair of socks, one spare dry inner
jersey, one spare jacket.

And I would not use finger gloves, but the the lobster claw type, they are
much warmer.

Also I would tie a scarf around my neck - ready to cover nose and mouth the
bankrobber way, if the cold wind bigins to bite in my face and my lungs.

Turning from tailwind to headwind will feel like a huge change in
temperature - and you can be completely drained of energy in minutes if you
freeze. In that case changing inner jersey and socks at a gas station toilet
will make wonders. And the extra jacket to take on and off will help you
adjust to the changing chilling effect of the wind.

If your toes get cold, you should get off the bike and walk fast till they
get warm again.

Enjoy! Riding in the winter is cool. Not necessarily painless.

Ivar of Denmark

wrote:

>FWIW, last time I did a ride in that temperature range I wore shorts
>and a short sleeve jersey, with half-finger gloves. My fingers did
>get a little cold though. ;-)

Let me guess. The temps were in that range for only *part* of the ride, say in
the mountains perhaps? Alternatively, it was a very VERY short ride. ;-)

Regards,
Bob Hunt

wrote in part:

>I want to bicycle at casual speed for 5 to 10 hours a day in
>temperatures 20F-35F.

Why? That's not a smart aleck remark but a serious question. Are you talking
about long recreational rides with infrequent but planned stops? Stop and go
"city messenger" style riding where you can pop indoors and warm up almost at
will? MTBing in remote areas where the only heat available for miles is the
body heat you generate? What works for one ride environment may not work
another. As one who has ridden at both 20F and 35F, I'd say you've specified a
fairly wide temperature range. Your "5 to 10 hour a day" is an even wider
time/distance range.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

[email protected] (Hunrobe) wrote:

>>Mark Hickey [email protected]

>wrote:
>
>>FWIW, last time I did a ride in that temperature range I wore shorts
>>and a short sleeve jersey, with half-finger gloves. My fingers did
>>get a little cold though. ;-)

>Let me guess. The temps were in that range for only *part* of the ride, say in
>the mountains perhaps? Alternatively, it was a very VERY short ride. ;-)

It was a fairly short ride - I was in Colorado, at about 9,000 feet.
I got up before dawn and dressed for what I thought was the weather
I'd encounter (being very quiet because we were in a "lodge situation"
and didn't want to wake everyone up).

I stepped outside dressed as described above, and as I was prep'ing my
MTB I noticed that there was still frost on the ground. Hmmmmm, must
be a little colder than I thought it was. I took off, and it WAS
pretty "brisk" for the first half mile or so, but since I was climbing
fairly soon it wasn't long until I was plenty warm. Not toasty, but
comfortable enough.

I rode for about an hour, and got back to the lodge. I put the bike
away and noticed that the thermometer was still below freezing. The
only thing that had really gotten uncomfortable was my fingers, and
them only mildly.

But I'd have dressed a little warmer had I been going out for a five
hour ride... probably would have thrown on a light vinyl jacket and
full-finger gloves. Anything more than that and I'd be uncomfortably
warm. YMMV.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

In article <[email protected]>, Mark Hickey
<[email protected]> writes:

>I rode for about an hour, and got back to the lodge. I put the bike
>away and noticed that the thermometer was still below freezing. The
>only thing that had really gotten uncomfortable was my fingers, and
>them only mildly.
>
>But I'd have dressed a little warmer had I been going out for a five
>hour ride... probably would have thrown on a light vinyl jacket and
>full-finger gloves. Anything more than that and I'd be uncomfortably
>warm. YMMV.

A half hour from shelter is not too far. Would have become a popsicle if you
had broke down. Of course you could stay warm jogging while carrying your bike.
For awhile. Eventually hypothermia would get you. I'm always shocked how cold
my skin is under the vinyl jacket when I finish. Now as the temperature drops
I keep a change of sweats and fleece jacket nearby to go to as soon as I
finish. Feels so good. I guess everything is ok as long as the core temp stays
up.

Mark Hickey wrote:

> FWIW, last time I did a ride in that temperature range I wore shorts
> and a short sleeve jersey, with half-finger gloves. My fingers did
> get a little cold though. ;-)

But the guy was talking about a *5-10 hour* ride in those temps.

This is a different situation than the typical couple hour
training/workout or commute ride.

What's comfortable for me for an hour or two is not necessarily
so 5+ hours later! Hands and feet in particular.

SMH

Bill Baka wrote:

> OK, I am serious now. Get dressed as above then ride about 5 miles near
> home and find out what your thermal balance is. I usually find that
> after a few miles of pedaling I am overdressed and it is nice to be able
> to stop at home and drop off the excess clothing. Just don't ride to far
> from a warm place, in case your bike breaks and you can no longer keep
> up the balance of heat generated versus insulation needed. Five miles
> should get your metabolism to where it will be for the rest of the ride.
> Experiment, but try to err on the safe side.

Actually, this brings up another consideration for long duration
cold weather riding: breakdowns and weather changes.

The OP was talking about 5-10 hour rides. Don't know if this
is all at one time or a cumulation of stop and go, cool and
warm segments, but at 25F and even 30F, which I no longer
regard as especially cold, you can have a rough time trying to
change a tire, or even re-adjust a cable. It will definitely
take you longer than during the warm months, and you'll likely
cool down while so involved.

Weather can end up getting colder during such a long ride, and
you could easily require more warming layers than when you
began. Hands and feet will almost certainly be the make/break
considerations for such duration winter expeditions on the bike.

I don't think there is any harm in over-dressing for such a ride,
especially if you dress in layers, and have some place on the
bike to stash stuff you don't immediately need.

SMH

SMH wrote in part:

>I don't think there is any harm in over-dressing for such a ride,
>especially if you dress in layers, and have some place on the
>bike to stash stuff you don't immediately need.

It seems a lot of folks think they can get
away just with things that will fit in their jersey
pockets even for 5-plus hour trail rides
through the Colorado mountains.
Personally I am sick of babysitting mr jersey
pockets and inititiating nighttime search and rescue
missions on his behalf.

Robert

>Subject: Re: Bicycling in Cold Weather
>From: [email protected] (R15757)
>Date: 12/12/2004 4:03 PM US Eastern Standard Time
>
>SMH wrote in part:
>
>>I don't think there is any harm in over-dressing for such a ride,
>>especially if you dress in layers, and have some place on the
>>bike to stash stuff you don't immediately need.

>It seems a lot of folks think they can get
>away just with things that will fit in their jersey
>pockets even for 5-plus hour trail rides
>through the Colorado mountains.
>Personally I am sick of babysitting mr jersey
>pockets and inititiating nighttime search and rescue
>missions on his behalf.
>
>Robert

I ride with a Trek rear trunk rack and a specific bag for it...great
compartments, lots of zippers, etc etc. No worries when you everything there. I
am not gonna ride around with tons of stuff in my pockets when i can do it this
way.

[email protected]ospam (whinds) wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, Mark Hickey
><[email protected]> writes:
>
>>I rode for about an hour, and got back to the lodge. I put the bike
>>away and noticed that the thermometer was still below freezing. The
>>only thing that had really gotten uncomfortable was my fingers, and
>>them only mildly.
>>
>>But I'd have dressed a little warmer had I been going out for a five
>>hour ride... probably would have thrown on a light vinyl jacket and
>>full-finger gloves. Anything more than that and I'd be uncomfortably
>>warm. YMMV.

>A half hour from shelter is not too far. Would have become a popsicle if you
>had broke down. Of course you could stay warm jogging while carrying your bike.
>For awhile. Eventually hypothermia would get you.

The only time I've ever really worried about hypothermia was while
cross-country skiing. When it's 10 degrees F (-12C) I'd be wearing
long tights and a long-sleeve thin polypro T-shirt, with a windbreaker
tied around my waist (start out wearing it, but overheat if I leave it
on). I'm always soaking wet due to the sweat (XC skiing IS a great
workout, after all). Once I broke a binding and had to walk back to
the car - it was only a mile or two, but it's not hard to see how it
would become a problem if the hike was a lot longer.

> I'm always shocked how cold
>my skin is under the vinyl jacket when I finish. Now as the temperature drops
>I keep a change of sweats and fleece jacket nearby to go to as soon as I
>finish. Feels so good. I guess everything is ok as long as the core temp stays
>up.

My problem with riding with wind-proof jackets much above freezing is
that I simply get soaked under the jacket. Net / net, I'm not as
comfortable or warm as I'd be without the jacket. I've done a couple
rides recently in the low 40's with a wind jacket, and find it's OK if
I'm taking it easy, but horribly uncomfortable if I'm going hard.

I should mention that I carry the jacket in my pannier when it's cold
out, so if I do have a breakdown in the middle of nowhere I can throw
it on. I should also mention that I'm more comfortable in the cold
weather than most people who live in Florida or Arizona (where the
heavy coats come out at ~60 degrees F - 15 C). ;-)

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

Stephen Harding <[email protected]> wrote:

>Mark Hickey wrote:
>
>> FWIW, last time I did a ride in that temperature range I wore shorts
>> and a short sleeve jersey, with half-finger gloves. My fingers did
>> get a little cold though. ;-)

>But the guy was talking about a *5-10 hour* ride in those temps.
>
>This is a different situation than the typical couple hour
>training/workout or commute ride.
>
>What's comfortable for me for an hour or two is not necessarily
>so 5+ hours later! Hands and feet in particular.

That's very true - I would never start out on a century ride at
freezing temperatures with shorts and no jacket. The coldest century
I've ever done was in Florida (believe it or not)... it was an
organized century, and we got a late start, and were playing catch-up
with the rest of the pack. It was about 40 degrees F (+5C) at the
start. I didn't wear a jacket, and was cool for the first few miles
since the pace was fairly easy for some of the folks in our group, and
we were riding into a huge headwind (welcome to Florida). Before too
long, I ended up in a group of hammerheads and I was toasty for the
rest of the ride, especially the return half with the wind blowing us
28-30mph all the way back.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com