Bicycling mag any good?

Long time OUT of bicycling

Want to get back in to it and on top of new products,
etc

Should I sub to Bicycling Mag or is it just all fluff
and ads now days?

If no on it..... any other rags to consider?

Javier wrote:
> Just fluff, but that's my humble opinion.

"Fluff" is being very kind.

"Aggressive technobabble and marketspeak in support of the advertisers"
is still kind.

"Pure BU**SH**" is pretty accurate, IMO.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Long time OUT of bicycling
>
> Want to get back in to it and on top of new products,
> etc
>
> Should I sub to Bicycling Mag or is it just all fluff
> and ads now days?
>
> If no on it..... any other rags to consider?

I subscribed to it a few months ago and I have not been very impressed with
it. It's only $5.99 for a year so you won't lose much by trying it.

[email protected] wrote:
> Long time OUT of bicycling
>
> Want to get back in to it and on top of new products,
> etc
>
> Should I sub to Bicycling Mag or is it just all fluff
> and ads now days?
>
> If no on it..... any other rags to consider?

It's pretty glossy lightweight general information. You might enjoy it
if you are just getting into cycling again. If you like it, I would not
let the negative internet responses bother you and just do whatever
inspires you to ride.

[email protected] wrote:
> Long time OUT of bicycling
>
> Want to get back in to it and

> on top of new products,

Bicycling Magazine would be fairly good at this. They "test" and
"review" more or less most of the new stuff reasonably soon after its
introduction. Within a year or two anyway. So you would have their
"opinion" of new products fairly soon. Advertisements abound in the
magazine and always have the latest and greatest new products, sort of.
So you would keep on top of new products by looking at the
advertisements. I say sort of because Bicycling Magazine does not have
the really high end stuff in their advertisements. No SRM or Power Tap
power meter hubs. No Lightweight or ADA wheels. None of those German
specialty parts makers advertise in Bicycling. Its advertisements are
geared more towards the Trek bike shop crowd, so to speak. Not those
who follow what the European peloton is using.

> etc
>
> Should I sub to Bicycling Mag or is it just all fluff
> and ads now days?
>
> If no on it..... any other rags to consider?

More or less all of the magazines in the US are geared towards
advertisements and showing the wonderful new latest and greatest stuff.
Some concentrate more towards the European peloton stuff and some more
towards the Trek bike shop stuff. But for the most part I think that
is what US bicyclists want to see. After all diamond frame bicycles
have been around for about 100 or so years. Not really a lot of
changes. And for the most part everything works pretty well on new
bikes. So testing and reviewing it does not really produce meaningful
stories. "It works OK." Won't sell many magazines with truthful
review after review like that. I suppose there is a difference in
accessories such as clothes and shoes and lights, etc. But probably
not a lot. And some would like one and others another. Very
subjective reviews. So we are given and like lots of pictures and
write ups of all the new wonderful bike parts we need to go fast, etc.
As long as you are smart enough to know this is almost 100% nonsense,
its fine and fun. In the woodworking magazine world the tool reviews
are always the most enjoyable and wanted by amateur woodworkers.
Reviews or articles that say use hand tools to develop your skills and
after 5-10-15-20 years you will be good, are not what people want to
read. They want the newest wonder tool to do everything with no skill
input from the woodworker. About like biking. We want a bike,
accessories that will make biking more fun, fast, etc. Nothing wrong
with that.

Wes wrote:
> So what bicycling magazines do you read?

Free e-newsletter by the guys who wrote for Bicycling when it had more
substance. Mostly beginner to intermediate information, training tips,
product reviews etc.

http://www.roadbikerider.com/

Wes wrote:
> So what bicycling magazines do you read?

ProCycling. I am not a racer, but it is interesting once you start to
learn the races and personalities. Haven't subscribed yet, but am
thinking about it. There are some decent articles in Bicycling too.
Last month there was an interesting one on the Little 500 bike race at
Indiana University. I subscribe and scan B Mag, then pass it on to my
adult kids who are newer to cycling.

Wow, nobody mentioned the *Rivendell Reader.* If you can get past the
glorification of friction shifters, centerpull brakes, 650B (584mm)
wheels and the constant bashing of "Racer-types" (yet, they seem to
glorify people who have the time to tour around the world), it has some
interesting articles on steel frames and lugs and some good interviews
like Sheldon Brown, Mike Barry, Kozo Shimano to name a few.

On Tue, 02 May 2006 12:26:33 -0500, [email protected] wrote:

>Long time OUT of bicycling
>
>Want to get back in to it and on top of new products,
>etc
>
>Should I sub to Bicycling Mag or is it just all fluff
>and ads now days?

I have heard it disparaged due to its articles covering questionable
gimmicks and its apparent reluctance to criticise anything that an
advertiser is doing. The old issues that I went through a while back
(while cleaning out a storage bay) demonstrated that these are
long-standing habits at that magazine. It was amusing to read the ads
for stuff that has since vanished unmourned...and see where some
persistent gimmickry was just getting started in the '80s.

OTOH, if you find it entertaining and have good BS filtering, it's a
relative bargain at the sub price. Do what amuses you. It's nobody
else's place to tell you what to like.

I don't have any magazine subs at the moment myself; most of them
would be a waste of paper here anyway, and I can't afford The
Economist right now.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

The British magazine Cycling Plus is pretty good for touring. Its
touring articles tend to be dwarfed by the road/racing content, but
there is much more touring content than in any North American cycling
magazine. On the down side, I have to pay an arm and a leg for it here
at my local import newsstand in Vancouver.

On Tue, 02 May 2006 12:26:33 -0500, [email protected] wrote:

>Long time OUT of bicycling
>
>Want to get back in to it and on top of new products,
>etc
>
>Should I sub to Bicycling Mag or is it just all fluff
>and ads now days?

They've got about two years worth of material, which is recycled every
two years. Read the advice and technical stuff for about that long,
then let your subscription lapse. Ignore all the reviews, as they're
written for the advertisers (despite the alleged "editorial" content).
Read the FAQ for this group, and when you read about some new
"advance" in Buycycling, ask about it here.

Pat

Email address works as is.

Bicycling magazine is pretty much all fluff. Not worth the
subscription price. Too bad, as 20 years ago it was decent. My
recommendation is to join the League of American Bicyclists. Its a
good organization and your money will be used for a good cause. And,
you get a "free" subscription to Bicycling along with it, so you can
take advantage of the occasional useful article.

bfd wrote:
> Wow, nobody mentioned the *Rivendell Reader.* If you can get past the
> glorification of friction shifters, centerpull brakes, 650B (584mm)
> wheels and the constant bashing of "Racer-types" (yet, they seem to
> glorify people who have the time to tour around the world), it has some
> interesting articles on steel frames and lugs and some good interviews
> like Sheldon Brown, Mike Barry, Kozo Shimano to name a few.

All true, but Rivendell is NOT the place to catch up on the latest
equipment trends which is what the OP is looking for.

I would suggest he request several mail order catalogs such as
Performance, Colorado Cyclist, and Nashbar to get an idea of what's
available (or check their websites). Then search this newsgroup for
opinions on specific products.

Bicycling Magazine is the last place I'd look for equipment
recommendations.

Art Harris